Best Throttle mod ever - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Default Best Throttle mod ever

Want to improve your first gear take off? Want to get rid of that annoying dead-spot in your gas pedal? Do you have 10 minutes and a Phillips screwdriver? Then i have a mod for you.

First off i own a 2010 Forte SX sedan and i hated how the gas and clutch worked. Over reving the engine or stalling at the lights was a pain in my $&%^!!!

The gas pedal works by wire, no cable. The fix involves loosening 5 Phillips screws on the left side of the gas pedal. The screws hold the pick ups for the sliders feeler arms. Once the its loosened it can be repositioned by moving it in 1 of 2 directions towards the front of the car or back. Front of car will take out the dead spot and to the rear will give you a HUGE dead-spot. The pic is upside down and only shows 3 of the 5 screws and where the the wire plugs into it.

I took my pedal rite out and was going to mod it but then i noticed that there was room to slide it instead of hacking it up.

Link to tutorial Best Throttle mod ever
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0010_Edited_Edited.jpg
Views:	4222
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1013  

Last edited by Enviros; 06-27-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Quick link to the tutorial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2010, 04:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rpps

Interesting fnd. I don't have a dead spot but do find the gas pedal too light and no feel to it, hence I find it hard to judge how much pedal pressure to apply when I take off in 1st.
Does this mod give you more feel to the gas pedal?
#3 Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Garage

Every car has a slight deadsport that DBW, some just more noticeable.

@Enviros :How and where did you come across this info?
#4 Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 PM

@wingzero: I found this by doing it. Reading some posts on other dead-spot issues with other makes and models and just being absolutely frustrated with how mine was set up from the factory. I had what felt like an inch of travel on my pedal before i got any response. Its my mod cause i took my gas pedal rite out of my car and tried to think of how i could fix it. Its setup to be able to fine tune the way it reacts but no one ever bothered to look i guess?
#5 Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Garage

Right on then. Good work.
#6 Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enviros View Post
@wingzero: I found this by doing it. Reading some posts on other dead-spot issues with other makes and models and just being absolutely frustrated with how mine was set up from the factory. I had what felt like an inch of travel on my pedal before i got any response. Its my mod cause i took my gas pedal rite out of my car and tried to think of how i could fix it. Its setup to be able to fine tune the way it reacts but no one ever bothered to look i guess?

that sounds great to me,
but did you find a way to adjust the tension? it would be nice to have the pedal more stiff as I think most of us would agree this is something that would be nice to find a cure for or at the very least a improvement on

Black on black SX

H/p = cubic dollars
how much your willing too spend will dictate how fast you can go
#7 Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM

Is this safe? Has anyone else tried this in a controlled environment? I would do it but I'm not willing to risk my life or car. Let me know if anyone else has attempted this and succeeded.

#8 Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Will have to try on my day off
#9 Old 05-16-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINSPIRED1 View Post
Is this safe? Has anyone else tried this in a controlled environment? I would do it but I'm not willing to risk my life or car. Let me know if anyone else has attempted this and succeeded.
LOL! Its totally safe because theres an adjustment point already built into how it mounts. Please have an actual look at what im talking about before you post "is this safe?" Get on your hands and knees and actually have a look at what im talking about... or look at the picture ffs. LOL is it safe...

OOOOhhh i get it.... cause i only have one post prior to this is why theres doubt... well whatever i'm talking from experience as a frustrated driver trying to deal with Kia's poor ass quality control. Dont do it ... it makes no difference to me... i'm more than happy with the results i obtained from this mod

I just put on 100 miles with no bad results... in fact quite the opposite... more like the feeling of a new car that acts like it should

Last edited by Enviros; 05-16-2010 at 10:22 PM.
#10 Old 05-16-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainyraven View Post

that sounds great to me,
but did you find a way to adjust the tension? it would be nice to have the pedal more stiff as I think most of us would agree this is something that would be nice to find a cure for or at the very least a improvement on
As far as the tension goes... it has to be internal on the pedal itself as i did completely remove the pedal from my car. I did not see a spring of any kind. Mind you i wasnt looking for that either. When i did notice that there was already an adjustment setting is when i stopped looking. I had dremel tool in hand ready to start carving some ^^%$ up. There was more pieces to still take apart but i stopped once i found what i was looking for.
#11 Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

Tutorial!
#12 Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 PM

Bottom line i guess your missing here is i'm 44 yrs old with a wife and 3 kids. She does most of the driving. I drive my beater 85 honda crx to work. I would NOT do anything that i felt was unsafe in anyway shape or form. I only took advantage of what was already there. Take it or leave it. I'm more than happy with the results i got. Bear in mind that i did do a lot of reading on this throttle by wire setup, it by no means makes me an expert but i didnt do anything that wasnt already provided to me. No duct tape no soldering no nothing. 5 screws and a simple movement. nothing comes apart its a simple shift on the placement of where the throttle comes on.
#13 Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crock89 View Post
Tutorial!
LOL it really is just as simple as i explained. I'll do a tutorial but its silly really.
On my photo you can clearly see where the 2 screws are and the space thats provided to move it either forward or backwards. You do have to LOOSEN all 5 screws to do it. If you look close enough at the screw with the black in it (guessing its a Kia mark) you can see where my original screw was. Hell you can do this mod and actually notice the difference with engine started, emergency brake on and press the pedal without even going for a drive.

Last edited by Enviros; 05-16-2010 at 10:50 PM.
#14 Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Garage

Necessity is the mother of all inventions...in your case you were looking for a way to fix something you didn't like on your Forte. My sedan SX is more responsive off the line than my Koup SX...big difference too. I saw your post and went and took a look. I loosened all 5 phillips screws but am still unable to get the cover to move -- only two of the screws have a slot but the rest of the screws won't let the cover move in any appreciable way. I also checked the Kia on-line manual (KGIS) -- it shows the accellerator position sensor but makes no reference to any type of adjustment. I'd bet the sloted holes are for the initial assembly adjustment and then the three remaining screws are inserted -- to help prevent any movement.

By any chance did you take pictures of what you accomplished? Also, by forward and aft -- do you mean the top of the installed-in-the-car cover towards the front of the car to reduce the dead spot?

Last edited by ForteSX2.4; 05-16-2010 at 10:58 PM.
#15 Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteSX2.4 View Post
Necessity is the mother of all inventions...in your case you were looking for a way to fix something you didn't like on your Forte. My sedan SX is more responsive off the line than my Koup SX...big difference too. I saw your post and went and took a look. I loosened all 5 phillips screws but am still unable to get the cover to move -- only two of the screws have a slot but the rest of the screws won't let the cover move in any appreciable way. I also checked the Kia on-line manual (KGIS) -- it shows the accellerator position sensor but makes no reference to any type of adjustment. I'd bet the sloted holes are for the initial assembly adjustment and then the three remaining screws are inserted.

By any chance did you take pictures of what you accomplished?
I did take pics. But i took pics of other things that didnt relate with what i did. I had it all apart. There was still more to take apart but i stopped. Its not a huge movement by any means, but its still a movement. The 2 scews your talking about are the ones in the photo and yes they do show more movement than the others, but they all move/shift. When i originally set it, it was backwards so i ended up getting more dead play. I didnt take it out when i re-adjusted it. I just loosened the screws again while it was mounted on the firewall and obtained the results. there is a rubber gasket in there too that may have prevented you from moving it if it was stuck. I have that photo i think? No i dont i'm sorry.

Last edited by Enviros; 05-16-2010 at 11:10 PM.