Kia Forte Forum banner

Why plasti-dipping your entire car is a completely stupid thing to do.

808K views 155 replies 56 participants last post by  El Spicoli 
#1 · (Edited)
First off, Yes I run a vinyl shop. No plastidip has not effected my business (other than crappy removals I've done) so don't kid yourself. 99.9% of my work is commercial advertising accounts. I rarely wrap cars for personal use aside for my own and friends. Had to get that out of the way first.

So a guy comes into the shop asking about wrapping his subaru in matte black 6 months ago. We give him a cost of $2300otd. He scoffs and says he can plasti dip his whole car for about $300. I say knock yourself out then. Anyway, here we are 6 months down the road and he brings the car to us to remove the plasti-dip because "it isn't just coming off". Well long story short, it has dried out over time espically in areas of direct sunlight. and comes of in quarter inch sections. Some spots won't come off at all. They will eventually I think but we've done the best we can. after 8 hours of labor he dosn't want to pay anymore.

NOTE, The damaged paint on the front bumper is not due to the dip, That was a wreck that was being covered up.

See less See more
#3 ·
No. Vinyl is much stronger and will not pull apart. Over a period of 10 years yes vinyl will become brittle (good vinyl, there is cheap vinyl that will not last), but you just apply heat and SHAZAM! The worst part of removing a wrap is when you get adhesive residue in spots but a little 3M 08984 Adhesive remover on a rag and your golden. This is not to say that a shop using cheap materials and doing a sloppy install will not have issues. But hey. you gotta rember, you get what you pay for.

#5 ·
I can see plasti-dipping rims and emblems and small items, by wouldn't think of doing an entire car in that, lol.

#11 ·
it was done right. well as right as something that is WRONG can be. A local shop that does spray in bed liners did it. it wasn't a thickness issue, if was an issue with it becoming brittle. @$300 every 6 months plus the pain in the a$$ to remove. I don't see you saving money in the long term.

#12 ·
I still like plasti dip as a cheap option if you cant afford vinyl. And dont really care about long term problems

#15 ·
again I know it was done "properly" I saw the car when it was new, and It looked good. I was Impressed with it for what it was. Then after some time I started seeing the issues. You can turn a blind eye if you want to. But I'm offering fair professional warning.

#18 ·
This is what I'm trying to get across, it's not as simple as just peeling it off. That is why I posted the pictures. because no one really talks about the long term removability. It's all sunshine and lollypops omg it looks great the day after it's sprayed.

#33 ·
Not so sure I agree with everything that's been said. I wouldn't so much call Plasti-Dip the problem, and would more put the blame on the user. You really shouldn't expect a $300 plastidip job to be the same as a $2300 wrap job, that's just silly.

With that being said, I still believe that plastidipping a whole car is not a bad idea at all. Look at the videos from DipYourCar.com. Sure, they dip their cars a lot, but seriously, thats awesome. A new color every month? I'd love that. Would I really wanna put the time and money into it? No, but there are people that would. $2300 every month to wrap a car a new color when I can spend $2-300 to do the same with plasti-dip?

People are comparing apples to oranges. They really are 2 different products for 2 different outcomes.

#35 ·
LOL @ plasti-dip. Always have. Always will.

HVLP for life!

Do it right you dont have to worry about all this extra crap. I suppose it nice for a car that goes in and out of showrooms, trailers, and car shows. But serisouly... I never understood the hype around it.

#41 ·
put a poll up here to show them that people would be interested in it. once enough people say they would maybe you can show them that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.