Kia Forte Forum banner

Auto headlight question

13K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Ezed1 
#1 ·
Today I backed out of my carport, Headlights lit up on auto setting, it was bright daylight but the headlights stayed on. Parked the car at church, when I came out and started car headlights were off and stayed off as I expect they would be in bright daylight.
My question is, is it normal for the auto lights to stay on until ignition is cycled off, My Mazda3 had auto lights and as soon as they sensed bright daylight they went off, I expected the Kia would be the same. I hope this question makes sense.

Pat.

#3 ·
#7 ·
Nope nothing covering the sensor, it would appear to have been some sort of glitch as they are operating normally now. I had auto lights in The Mazda3 and it did the same thing now and again.
Pat.

#6 ·
I see your Ottawa, since in Canada you have Daylight Running Lights as well. Basically Highbeams with low current.

With Auto Set on, your daytime lights should always be on ( inner lights towards grill ) in daytime. At night time you will have lights on without turning on switch either high or low ( last setting ).

Thats how it works on my 2014 Forte5 SX.

If you turn Auto Off your daylights won't work, unless you turn on lights on switch

P.S. If you have fogs they only come on with low beams.

#11 ·
Ever notice on other cars that have automatic headlights, they turn on fairly quickly? I go under a bridge on my commute, and I see other cars immediately flip on their auto lights as soon as they get under the bridge. Saw a Mini Cooper do it on Monday...

But KIA's? Mine don't come on unless I spend a good 20-30 seconds in dark conditions. If it's already dark out, of course they work just fine, but bridges and parking garages confuse the sensor.

#10 ·
I find any time I think they on in bright conditions I just turn them off the auto and back to auto and they will stay off. Most of the time they work as intended the odd time they don't.

Pat.

#13 ·
Today I backed out of my carport, Headlights lit up on auto setting, it was bright daylight but the headlights stayed on. Parked the car at church, when I came out and started car headlights were off and stayed off as I expect they would be in bright daylight.
My question is, is it normal for the auto lights to stay on until ignition is cycled off, My Mazda3 had auto lights and as soon as they sensed bright daylight they went off, I expected the Kia would be the same. I hope this question makes sense.

Pat.
Dont leave your headlight switch in auto. It can drain your Battery over night. At the end of your driving day. Put headlights in off position. All the kia,s can do this.

#14 ·
Ok on my 2022 forte I’ve notice the headlights cutting on and off as well going thru shaded areas , which is not cool , gonna have people thinking your flashing your lights at them 👎🏽On other cars that I have owned in the past that light senor had a clear plastic cover over it where as this Kia has a painted interior color over it ????????????im wondering could that be affecting the sensor to sense the way it’s sensing , it m going to try and pop my cover off and see what happens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.