2016 Forte 5 LX -- my build thread - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 11-18-2016, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2016 Forte 5 LX -- my build thread

I couldn't find a "member rides" section or the equivalent so I figured I'll just start a thread here to document my progress.

I've begun switching the external lamps on my 5 over to LED. I did the brake light/tail lights the other day but every photo I've taken so far is horribly over-exposed so I'm still working on a good shot of those. Today I did the license plate lights and reverse lights. I took some shots along the way to compare the light output and color.

License plate lights:
Old is on the right

Reverse lights:
Old is on the left

My garage is a mess, please ignore that

Hatch open, lighting the ceiling

SGT (RET) Pahman, Jesse C.
88m, United States Army

My build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse Pahman For This Useful Post:
7232 (11-18-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 11-18-2016, 08:50 AM
Site Sponsor

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2007 Nissan 350Z
This is the perfect place to put a build thread, I dont think there is really a dedicated section for it.

Good start so far, I always start with interior and exterior LEDs when I start a car project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|

|
|
|
|

- NOW OPEN!

post #3 of 55 Old 11-18-2016, 07:35 PM

Lights look good. Would you mind posting the brand and part numbers for the led lights you used, thanks. What other plans do you have for your build?

post #4 of 55 Old 11-18-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymi View Post
Lights look good. Would you mind posting the brand and part numbers for the led lights you used, thanks. What other plans do you have for your build?
They're all Sylvania Zevo bulbs

Sylvania has another line of LED bulbs, more entry level. The Zevo line aren't what I'd call cheap, but they are really worth the extra dollar.

Reverse:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO...words=zevo+921

License Plate Light:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO...words=zevo+194

Taillight and Brake Lights:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO...ords=zevo+2357

And not purchased yet but Interior Lights:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s....bp/10998197-P

88m, United States Army

My build thread:

post #5 of 55 Old 11-18-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As far as future mods I'd like to finish the exterior LEDs, so just the turn signals front/rear are left.

I'm going to switch the headlights to HIDs and the fogs to 3500K H8's.
HID Kit:

Fog Lights:

Beyond that I've got a couple cosmetic changes that I'm going to do with some vinyl so it can be removed if/when I want to return the car to stock. Of course wheels are on the list at some point. All of this is going to be somewhat slow since I'm building on a budget, but I'm enjoying the car so far.

88m, United States Army

My build thread:

Last edited by Jesse Pahman; 11-19-2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Updated for pics/links
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse Pahman For This Useful Post:
7232 (11-19-2016)
post #6 of 55 Old 11-19-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Pahman View Post
They're all Sylvania Zevo bulbs

Sylvania has another line of LED bulbs, more entry level. The Zevo line aren't what I'd call cheap, but they are really worth the extra dollar.

Reverse:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO...words=zevo+921

License Plate Light:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO...words=zevo+194

Taillight and Brake Lights:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO...ords=zevo+2357

And not purchased yet but Interior Lights:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s....bp/10998197-P
Interior lights purchased and installed. Pictures to follow shortly.
Neanderthal likes this.

88m, United States Army

My build thread:

post #7 of 55 Old 11-19-2016, 08:51 PM

I put 65 watt H9 bulbs in my low beam headlights and moved the stock 55 watt H11's down to the fog lights. Quite a bit more light on the road with those simple and inexpensive changes. I also wired the fog lights to come on with just the marker lights on.
Fog light mod 2016 Forte 5
Do you have any plans for changing or removing any badging? I did the broken K badges on the front, rear and steering wheel.I also removed all the lettering on the rear of the car.

K Badges installed!
post #8 of 55 Old 11-19-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I put 65 watt H9 bulbs in my low beam headlights and moved the stock 55 watt H11's down to the fog lights. Quite a bit more light on the road with those simple and inexpensive changes. I also wired the fog lights to come on with just the marker lights on.
Do you have any plans for changing or removing any badging? I did the broken K badges on the front, rear and steering wheel.I also removed all the lettering on the rear of the car.

K Badges installed!
I know I want HIDs for the low-beams. I've used DDM's kits before and they perform very well. I'm going to look into that fog light mod though because that does interest me. I haven't given a lot of thought to de-badging yet; I'm not at all against it, I just haven't decided if I want to go sleeper with this or just OEM +

88m, United States Army

My build thread:

post #9 of 55 Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Site Sponsor

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2007 Nissan 350Z
Quote:
If you're looking for some high quality interior or exterior LEDs we can create you a LED kit for your Forte! You'll just have to email us for special package pricing to Sales@K5OptimaStore.com

I'll list a few of the LED bulbs we carry! All our LED's come with a 1-year warranty:

https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...censeplateleds

https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec.../reverselights

https://www.k5optimastore.com/collec...ree-trunk-leds

|
|
|
|
|

|
|
|
|

- NOW OPEN!

post #10 of 55 Old 11-23-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:

K Badges installed!
Any issues with using the 55 watt H11 in the fog lights vs the 35 watt H8 ?

2016 Forte5 EX Premium/Tech w/remote start. Snow White Pearl
2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited. Quartz White Pearl
post #11 of 55 Old 11-23-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerAdvisr View Post
Any issues with using the 55 watt H11 in the fog lights vs the 35 watt H8 ?
None so far and I use these lights almost everyday. I checked the housings and lens after I drove with them on for over an hour and they didn't feel overly hot. I am going to make the fogs fully independent by running a single wire to them from the fog light switch on the steering column.
post #12 of 55 Old 11-25-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Next 3 purchases; this will finish converting all the exterior lights to LED (except the headlights and fog lights). Once I get these installed I'll do a walk around video of the whole car. From there I'll focus and the amber fogs and HID low beams

LED Flasher to prevent hyper flashing

Front Parking/Turn Signal

Rear Turn Signal

88m, United States Army

My build thread:

post #13 of 55 Old 11-29-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not so much a build update, but it rolled over 5000 miles the other day...And I was backed in to in a parking lot this afternoon. Yay me.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

88m, United States Army

My build thread:

post #14 of 55 Old 11-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Stinks that you got some damage! Do you know who the offender was?
post #15 of 55 Old 11-29-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, and I got their insurance information and have filed a claim. Michigan is a no-fault state but I'm pretty sure this one will be covered without being charged my deductible.

88m, United States Army

My build thread: