Junior got new "old" wheels - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CaptainShanks

post #1 of 7 Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Junior got new "old" wheels

Since the other half missed the wheels from the 2012, here is a new set on the 2016 today. Was and is pouring rain so I'll take more pics in the next few days after it's cleaned up and the new fog light bulbs are installed. Took this pic inside Discount Tire because it was pouring outside. Drag Dr-19s with the stock tires mounted to them.

2016 Forte5 EX Premium/Tech w/remote start. Snow White Pearl
2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited. Quartz White Pearl

Last edited by FormerAdvisr; 04-10-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-10-2017, 10:15 PM

Drives: Forte Koup SX
Garage
C l e a n !
FormerAdvisr likes this.

Call Me Captain!

post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Washed and quick detailed last night. Nokya 7000K high beams installed. I'll do the fogs this weekend. Got the H11's for them so I'll whip out the Dremel to modify them to fit. They're a little bluer than I'd have liked but for the price, they're brighter than the stock ones. I'd have gotten the yellow ones for the fogs like I did the 2012 but SOMEONE doesn't like yellow fogs lol. YES I explained that proper fog lights are yellow lol.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 09:31 AM

Drives: 2011 Forte5 SX, 2011 Tucson, 2012 Veloster, 2006 Spectra SX
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerAdvisr View Post
They're a little bluer than I'd have liked but for the price, they're brighter than the stock ones. I'd have gotten the yellow ones for the fogs like I did the 2012 but SOMEONE doesn't like yellow fogs lol. YES I explained that proper fog lights are yellow lol.
Actually, proper fog lights are not specifically yellow, they can be white too. The difference is fog lights are designed to be LOWER brightness shining light low and wide, not far. Installing brighter bulbs in the fog lights is counter productive. You don't want them brighter.

Driving lights are designed to be white, bright with a narrow beam that shines fathers down the road compared to headlights and high beams.

That's the difference between the 2:
Fog:
- low brightness
- short distance
- wide pattern

Driving:
- higher brightness
- long distance
- narrow pattern

http://chuxtrux.com/n-8677-fog-light...uld-i-buy.html
Quote:
Fog Lights

Fog lights are designed to illuminate a wide path of road with a relatively short distance. These are great for people worried about deer jumping in front of you on the road. The proper mounting of fog lights are at a height of between 18” and 20” above the road. Fog forms about 20-24” above the road and stretches upward farther than we can see. When fog lights are mounted properly, they project their light under the fog and forward down the road. This helps you “see through” the fog, but of course there are limits. If fog lights are mounted too high, the light reflects off the moisture in the fog and creates a blinding effect on the driver. You’ve probably experienced this by hitting your high beams during foggy road conditions and discovered it’s like someone threw a sheet up in front of you. Fog lights must be mounted properly or their effectiveness is diminished.

Most fog lights are yellow in color though they can be white as well. There is no specific reason why fog lights are yellow. No, it is not the maker’s favorite color. This appears to follow an old convention which is not based on any scientific reasoning because yellow light does not offer any more penetration than white light. One theory that does sound plausible is that fog lights are yellow to indicate to other drivers that driving conditions are poor, and they should slow down and exercise an increased level of caution. Another is that a yellow filter (your fog light lens) sharpens your vision. You may have seen yellow tinted safety glasses that some guys wear when shooting guns to make things look more distinct. Same principle.

Fog lights are intended to be used when visibility is poor and obstructed by fog, rain, or snow. They are intended to illuminate the road surface and the curb, shoulder, and edges of the road. Fog lights have a limited range and are most effective at low speeds. In poor visibility fog lights do the job of dipped beam headlights. Because of their design, fog lights reduce the glareback from fog or falling snow which makes them a better choice in such conditions. But only if mounted properly 18-20” off the road as discussed above.

Fog lights are often fitted on cars in many countries where weather conditions do not justify the need for them. In such cases they are largely cosmetic and are available as optional extras. Studies in North America have shown that more drivers use fog lights incorrectly in good weather rather than use them correctly when they are most needed. However, where they are extensively used and quite rightly, is to light up the side of the road and watch for deer in deer-prone territory. Hitting a deer, fog or no fog, is no fun at all. But at least if you are in Arkansas that dead animal will not go to waste. Too bad California did not have such sensible laws.

Driving Lights

Driving lights are particularly bright lights which improve the range of light beyond what your high beam headlights offer. They help identify obstacles and signs well before they become visible than with normal high beams. They have a rectangular beam which produces a beam of powerful intensity with a longer, wider reach. Driving lights illuminate the side of the road making them more visible. In general, driving lights are designed to provide better visibility than high beam headlights and by extension, a safer driving environment. Driving lights are the ideal choice when driving on highways at high speeds. Like a high beam, they have to be dimmed in the face of oncoming traffic.

The latest technology in driving lights is High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights which provide 40% better road visibility and 50% brighter light. They are more expensive than the old yellow halogen lights and have surpassed them. HID gives you more than just brighter light – it has a longer lifespan and consumes less electrical energy. With dual, high-temperature filaments, HID lights produce the brightest, whitest light possible. Wow, you may even wake up the neighbors with light that bright.

Xenon HID headlights produce a blue hued, whiter light with a wider coverage of about 70% more of the road. With their superior light intensity they produce well-defined images with a reduced power consumption of just 25 percent. Xenon lights are extremely durable and because they have no filaments are able to withstand shocks and resist vibrations. While they are a more expensive option, they are eco-friendly, consume less energy, and last longer so they are a terrific purchase choice that make up for the higher cost.

http://www.hcdmag.com/driving-lights-vs-fog-lights/
Quote:
Driving Lights vs Fog Lights: What’s the Difference?

Whether you are looking for new fog lights or driving lights, it can be difficult to sort through the endless options.

For instance, many manufacturers sell fog lights, driving lights and daytime running lights that all look similar – but they each have a very different purpose.

So, how can you tell the difference?
Fog Lights

Unfortunately, some of our readers have been disappointed that their new fog lights were not very bright – well this is actually by design.

Fog lights produce a short and wide beam of light to help you see through fog, rain or snow.

Fog lights are unique in the fact that they are designed to illuminate the ground directly in front of your vehicle so you can see the edges of the road.

They should be used in addition to your normal headlights during difficult visibility.

Fog usually settles about 24″ above the ground. For this reason fog lights should be mounted around 18″ above the ground to allow them to shine below the fog.
Driving Lights

In contrast, driving lights are to be used with your high-beam headlights to spot obstacles in the distance.

Driving lights produce a rectangular shaped pattern that is designed to extend beyond normal headlights. The design of the light beam will help you see much further down the road as well as on the side of the road.

Driving lights are very bright and can be a distraction to oncoming traffic. You should use your driving lights when driving at high speeds on remote roads with limited visibility or on unlit highways.

Driving lights should not be used as fog lights as they will be very ineffective.

2011 Kia Forte5 SX hatchback (daily driver)
2011 Hyundai Tucson (wife's car)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (1st daughters car)
2006 Kia Spectra SX sedan (2nd daughters car)
Previous cars: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 - 2006 Hyundai Tucson V6 - 2006 Kia Sedona EX - 2008 Kia Rondo EX - 2006 Spectra5 SX hatchback

Last edited by NovaResource; 04-13-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
Actually, proper fog lights are not specifically yellow, they can be white too. The difference is fog lights are designed to be LOWER brightness shining light low and wide, not far. Installing brighter bulbs in the fog lights is counter productive. You don't want them brighter.

Driving lights are designed to be white, bright with a narrow beam that shines fathers down the road compared to headlights and high beams.

That's the difference between the 2:
Fog:
- low brightness
- short distance
- wide pattern

Driving:
- higher brightness
- long distance
- narrow pattern

http://chuxtrux.com/n-8677-fog-light...uld-i-buy.html

http://www.hcdmag.com/driving-lights-vs-fog-lights/
Thanks for that. I do know the difference in design and function of fog vs driving lights. I just didn't elaborate. What I meany by yellow being "proper" for fog lights has more to do with inclement weather usage. Yellow casts far less glare in rain, fog, and snow, compared to white. That's what I loved about my 83 Mercedes 300SD. I had the Euro headlights with built in fog lights. They had theyr own adjustments and were yellow. Phenomenal in snow and fog. Since that car, I swapped white for yellow in what ever fog light-equipped vehicle I've owned since.

This is the 2012 Forte before swapping in the halo-projector headlights with HIDs. Stock headlights with Crystal Vision Ultra's and Nokya yellows in the stock fogs.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Drives: 2011 Forte5 SX, 2011 Tucson, 2012 Veloster, 2006 Spectra SX
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerAdvisr View Post
Thanks for that. I do know the difference in design and function of fog vs driving lights. I just didn't elaborate. What I meany by yellow being "proper" for fog lights has more to do with inclement weather usage. Yellow casts far less glare in rain, fog, and snow, compared to white. That's what I loved about my 83 Mercedes 300SD. I had the Euro headlights with built in fog lights. They had theyr own adjustments and were yellow. Phenomenal in snow and fog. Since that car, I swapped white for yellow in what ever fog light-equipped vehicle I've owned since.
Actually, my post was more about yellow being the "proper" color for fogs. The truth is, that is incorrect. There is no scientific proof that yellow is better than white for fogs. See the part I highlighted in red above:

Quote:
Most fog lights are yellow in color though they can be white as well. There is no specific reason why fog lights are yellow. No, it is not the maker’s favorite color. This appears to follow an old convention which is not based on any scientific reasoning because yellow light does not offer any more penetration than white light. One theory that does sound plausible is that fog lights are yellow to indicate to other drivers that driving conditions are poor, and they should slow down and exercise an increased level of caution. Another is that a yellow filter (your fog light lens) sharpens your vision. You may have seen yellow tinted safety glasses that some guys wear when shooting guns to make things look more distinct. Same principle.

2011 Kia Forte5 SX hatchback (daily driver)
2011 Hyundai Tucson (wife's car)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (1st daughters car)
2006 Kia Spectra SX sedan (2nd daughters car)
Previous cars: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 - 2006 Hyundai Tucson V6 - 2006 Kia Sedona EX - 2008 Kia Rondo EX - 2006 Spectra5 SX hatchback
post #7 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
Actually, my post was more about yellow being the "proper" color for fogs. The truth is, that is incorrect. There is no scientific proof that yellow is better than white for fogs. See the part I highlighted in red above:
Scientific ? You're right, probably not. But different people see "color" a bit differently. For me, yellow always worked better in inclement weather. It's much less glare-inducing for my eyes.