Kia Forte Forum banner

Best leather care product for the SX????

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  michael@microsoftinstruct 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm curious as to what all you leather-trimmed SX owners out there use to maintain and clean your leather. I've heard one already (thanks Tebore!), now I'm curious as to what the rest of you may recommend. I'm using Armor-All wipes right now, but I'm quite sure there must be better out there. Anyone use leather feed as well????:confused:

#3 ·
I figured a new thread was in order.

I've used the Armor-All leather protectant and the regular old AA protectant and they suck for leather.

For some reason AA Leather Protectant also smells like poop after a while too.

The best stuffs I've used for leather is the 303 I mentioned in the other thread. The second I found that's also really good strangely isn't for automotive use but for leather jackets. I bought it when I bought my leather jacket. I figured it worked so good on my leather jackets it should do well in my car. I'll get the name tomorrow when I can find the bottle.

If you want to feed your leather after a long hot summer or a cold harsh winter is to soak a rag in Olive Oil and wipe the seats. It will soak in to the leather. Just follow up with another rag to get any excess. I find this really helps. This works for leather jackets as well. Follow up with a decent protectant like 303 a week later.

Key is to use some warm water to clean your leather often and before treatments. You can use some warm soap water if you spill something greasy.

#4 ·
I've never had leather but do consider my self an amateur detailer, that and I'm super clean, anyways so typically I'd be ok to wipe down dust, dirt etc with a warm wet cloth and maybe once a month use soapy water to actually clean the leather followed with a protectant, along with a seasonal moisturizing like olive oil? I guess I could search other things that would mousturize it as I'm kinda feelin sketchy on the olive oil.

Have you ever used an all purpose cleaner on interior to "clean" or prep for protectant? I always use a wet cloth and not sure what kind of soap to use either?

#5 ·
Please.. PLEASE don't use olive oil! That is the first time I've ever heard that. Heat and air will cause olive oil to go rancid! I have no idea what special properties anyone thought olive oil has. Perhaps you have heard mineral oil at one time.

I'm guessing that the leather is painted leather (I'm almost sure of it without even seeing it first hand). So it's probably aniline leather. While you can use any good vinyl/plastic product on it, I personally like Leather CPR or Lexol's leather cleaner and also their conditioner. I feel that the product does penetrate the dye/paint used on the leather. If you are going to use a vinyl/plastic treatment I'd recommend 303's Aerospace protectant, Lexol's Vinylex, Mequiars M40. Mequiars also make a nice leather Aloe combo that I like for cleaning and then conditioning.

Personally I stay away from anything with the name Armor-all but that is just me. I also stay away from wipes as they contain very little product for a high price. For cleaners I spray on lightly, wait and then remove with a microfiber towel. For conditioners I work in with my fingers, wait and then remove with a microfiber towel.

Cleaning is _very_ important. That alone helps the leather look good. You can use just a warm damp towel for this if you want. Personally, I still like mild cleaners made for leather.

#6 ·
Nice write up, I think I'll be switching to meguiers leather stuff in the bottle ( can't remember name) because the wipes don't carry very much product, hard to get an even application, starts really wet then drys out so I find myself trying to blend the mess, warm damp cloth and meguiers clean/condition it is.

#7 ·
Lexol once a week, clean and condition... smells like nice leather and keeps it real soft. Make sure whatever product you use has a high glycerin content, it helps our cheaper leather last longer.

#8 ·
Nice, I'm def gonna check all these out. And it's true about the Armor-All wipes, they don't do an even job and dry out way to quick. The Lexol products sound promising, I'll look them up.

#9 ·
NO NO NO. DO NOT USE LEXOL, AND ABSOLUTALY DO NOT USE OLIVE OIL AND DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL WIPES!

I have been treating leather for many years on Jaguars and Mercedes: here is what the pros use: ORDER Products | Leatherique Restoration Products

Get the small bottles of cleaner and the rejuvinator. These products are designed for leather from people who work with automotive leather.

Lexol is crap from autozone..it will do nothing.
Armor-All again... will do nothing
Olive oil is good for cooking. Not for leather.

#10 ·
Lexol is crap from autozone..it will do nothing.
Armor-All again... will do nothing
Olive oil is good for cooking. Not for leather.
:rolleyes:

Lexol is not "from' Autozone... AutoZone does sell it... along with thousands of other places but they don't make it.

The leather used on Kia's a not the same as leather used in Jaguar or Mercedes vehicles.

Here is my question... if Lexol won't do anything... why won't it? Please do tell.

I won't venture to say that Leatherique is not good... it is. But 1) I would not venture to call anything crap unless I can support that statement and 2) Leatherigue is better suited for higher end leather (Non painted/dyed lather, non aniline leather)

#13 ·
Hmmm, the Leatherique looks pretty good, but pricey...$40 for two 16 oz. bottles. But if it works and I need apply it periodically, not weekly or so, it seems worth it.

#18 ·
I use Autoglym Leather Cleaner and Leather Care cream.

Use the Cleaner to (obviously) clean of the leather (after removing dust that is). That helps with any stuff/dirt/whatever else that may be sitting on the leather.

Then, the Cream is applied to help keep the leather soft and going nicely. The recommend applying the cream in warmer temperatures if possible, to get the "pores" of the leather to be open or something like that.

Griot's garage has some nice stuff as well, may give those a go just out of curiosity.

#21 ·
Before you go and get hot and bothered because someone disagrees with you, I used your vaunted google and got just as many returns about how good a product lexol is. I also googled leatherique vs. lexol and got equal returns as well. That is the problem with the internet anyone can post anything. Its not considered a good source for acemdemic papers and has as many falsehoods as truths. You have to take eveything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. That said, I prefer Lexol because its easy to use and relatively inexpensive unlike Leatherique which has to reach a temp of 100 degrees before it soaks in completely. In fact one of the forum discussions I saw said to properly treat with leatherique in the winter, REMOVE THE SEAT AND STORE WITH SPACE HEATER INSIDE. It may do a great job but I'd rather not take my car apart just to get the leatherique shine in the wintertime.

#23 · (Edited)
Before you go and get hot and bothered because someone disagrees with you, I used your vaunted google and got just as many returns about how good a product lexol is. I also googled leatherique vs. lexol and got equal returns as well. That is the problem with the internet anyone can post anything. Its not considered a good source for acemdemic papers and has as many falsehoods as truths. You have to take eveything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. That said, I prefer Lexol because its easy to use and relatively inexpensive unlike Leatherique which has to reach a temp of 100 degrees before it soaks in completely. In fact one of the forum discussions I saw said to properly treat with leatherique in the winter, REMOVE THE SEAT AND STORE WITH SPACE HEATER INSIDE. It may do a great job but I'd rather not take my car apart just to get the leatherique shine in the wintertime.
How can you say you prefer Lexol? Prefer it to what? What other product have you actually compared it to? Here is another link that shows what Leatherique can actually do: Leatherique Leather Care How-To – Detailed Image

Please produce, pics of what Lexol can do?? Somebody? Anybody???

#22 ·
Haha lexol at all the detailers you know? And at the Lexus dealer? Yeah- a car dealer is going to use the finest they can buy. They don't care about profit margin, and they are going to spend tons of time prepping the leather in customers cars so that it lasts forever. Haha

I think seeing lexol in a dealer service bay just proves it's midgrade, a step above armor all, more on par with meguiars and griots.

The op in this thread asked what's the "best". Most agree leatherique is the best consumer grade auto leather product. If you aren't familiar enough with detailing I could see how you could write huge rants about lexol. Once you become a more aware consumer and with more experience you'll appreciate finer products while still giving props to less expensive options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.