Kia Forte Forum banner

Low Howling noise and tire rotation.

13K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sabrinamia08 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all!
I'm new to the site and having a problem (or 2) with my 2010 Forte Koup (79,000 miles). Hoping I can get some input. I'll apologize ahead of time if there was a better place I could have put this.

My first problem, tire rotation noise. While on the highway and over 50mph I get a pretty heavy tire rotation noise from the front right. I started hearing it about a month ago and it seems to have gotten louder since. I have no vibration at all in my steering wheel and can not feel it under my feet. Only sound, and only above 50mph. My father (who is very knowledgeable about cars) has taken it 2 times, and checked it over. Wheel bearings are good, no play on the tires. Breaks are only a few months old. Tires are around 6 months old and have no uneven wear.

With that being said, onto my second problem. All of a sudden I am getting a strange low, kind of hollow whistle/howling noise. ( exactly like when you blow over the top of a glass bottle) It's from the front end, and sounds like it's on the drivers side. I only hear it under 40mph. It does it on and off, it seems to be when the car leans to 1 side or the other, but not around a curve. It also gets substantially louder when I step on my brakes. It also seems to be getting louder in general.

I have no idea what either of these 2 things are. Like I said above, my father has checked the car multiple times, I have also had it checked by a mechanic... nothing.
Does anyone have any ideas? I know there is something wrong with my car, but everyone keeps telling me it's fine.

See less See more
#2 ·
My 2011 Forte5 SX had bad wheel bearings around 80k miles and seems to be at least fairly common. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced both front bearings at no charge under the powertrain warranty. The car was much quieter after the replacement.

#3 ·
Could be a bad tire, sometimes when new they will have defects that aren't visible. That can cause some noise.

Also, I'd have the wheel bearings checked again. I had one on a vehicle that didn't have any noticeable play, but was still loud. Swapping it out made a big difference. My wife has had the same issue on one of her cars as well, even had one mechanic say it was ok, after another month it started to show some play when checked, although very little.

#4 ·
Having the same problem with my moms car. Exactly same. Had front driver axel replaced then wheel barring. Now I'm not sure if he did passenger side but I think that's where it's originally came from.. but did u find relief? Sounds like riding on mud tires?correct? Passengerside? ? This mechanic that did those 2 things is sending us to a place that has machines to test the tires. But I'm gonna ask if they will do passenger wheel barring and rotate tire. But question is did ur mechanic do same thing just replaced driver?