Snowflake icon on outside temperature gauge - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 12-07-2011, 11:12 AM

Default Snowflake icon on outside temperature gauge

Can anyone tell me what the snowflake icon on my 2011 kia forte 5-door dashboard means? It shows up sporadically next to the outside temperature, sometimes it flashes at me, and the other night when it was -5F it wasn't on at all? I'd like to know what it's meaning is - and why it flashes sometimes. I looked through the manual and cannot find anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM

I comes on at 37F and below, our VW does the same thing. Our VW even gives a warning on the trip computer display. It's to warn you there may be ice forming on the road. Weird it wasn't on at -5F.

By the way, that's really cold, where do you live? It's 60 here in Boston.

2011 Forte SX 5 door with 6 speed manual
2007 VW Eos 2.0T with 6 speed manual
#3 Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 PM

My 1997 Ford Explorer used to have a text warning as the temp dropped down to just above freezing.... I believe the Forte uses a similar thought process: The ambient temp is just above freezing, but.... a STEEL BRIDGE DECK or elevated highway might already BE at or BELOW freezing. This is the temperature range at which Black Ice can form, and you, the human, aren't really thinking about it at all.

As for temps below freezing, all I got was the temperature display; no warnings.

Ford and KIA should be given credit for issuing us dummies a little hint to wake up and be alert while driving!
#4 Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM

I live in Colorado and yes - it's been REALLY cold and snowy the past week or so!
#5 Old 12-07-2011, 03:44 PM

The Camry must have a similar system. If a snowflake appears on your display, this means you should slam on the brakes every time you approach a bridge.
#6 Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Mine came on Monday .Thought what the heck is this ..owners manual shows a pic of it but does not explain it..Do we get a flame symbol if the temp goes above a hundred ?? Also read that if you hold in the Hr & Min buttons at the same time it reads in 24Hr military..

MAKE IT LOOK NICE NOT RICE

Last edited by Ratdaddy; 12-07-2011 at 06:22 PM.
#7 Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdaddy View Post
Mine came on Monday .Thought what the heck is this ..owners manual shows a pic of it but does not explain it..Do we get a flame symbol if the temp goes above a hundred ?? Also read that if you hold in the Hr & Min buttons at the same time it reads in 24Hr military..
I did that to my wife, she was pissed the first time she shaw 1800 on her clock. I have never had the Forte in the cold so I didn't know it did that, my SX4 was the same way so it makes sense.
#8 Old 12-08-2011, 02:30 PM

When it's flashing....

Hell just froze over.
#9 Old 12-11-2011, 12:44 PM

I had a freezing warning feature on my MINI S. Living in AZ, it didn't go off until last February when the temps dropped below freezing. It started beeping and I thought there was something wrong with the car. lol The dealer told me it was, as has been said, to remind us that the roads may have ice on them.

Good to know my Kia has the same smart stuff built in. It's been right on the cusp of freezing in the mornings here, so I'll be looking for that snowflake!

PJ

2012 Kia Forte EX, 5-Door, Sun Roof, Ebony Black on Black