Kia Forte Forum banner

Cigarette smell?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Gswift 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum because I just got my first Kia, a 2015 Kia Forte5 SX! I bought it used with about 17,000 miles.

So far I really like it, although I have noticed a slight cigarette smell. The dealer put some strong air freshener in it to help mask the smell, however the stench of cigarettes seems to be coming back.

My question is--is there anyway to get rid of the cigarette smell, and if I cannot get rid of it what's the best way to manage it?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I have heard that you can put an ionizer in your car to help neutralize the smell. Someone once told me that the hotels use them to get rid of cigarette smell in hotel rooms.

Others are correct. a good shampoo of the carpet and seats might remove the smell. Best to leave it with the professional detailer.

#5 ·
Additionally the headliner, they hold A LOT of stink. (I am a smoker - no longer smoke in my car after having stunk up a few over the years) In cars with tan or light colored headliners you can really see how much tar and nicotine gets in the material and stinks up and/or stains them. With our black headliners it's harder to see but I promise it's in there.

Also I doubt I'd trust a dealer to do the detail work, they detail cars to re-sell them and I can always tell when a car has been smoked in. (As you now can with yours) If you want it clean and for the deodorizing to last, either do it yourself (no one ever cares as much as we do about our cars) or look for local independent detailing companies that have good reviews. They do it right because they have to, they live on repeat and word of mouth (reviews) business.

There are at least a million videos on YouTube that can teach you how to do it yourself, you can get quality products and do it right, plus it's better to learn now so that if something gets spilled in your car, or whatever, you know you can clean it up properly.
Hope that all helps, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.