2011 Kia Forte Enging Ticking when Accelerating? - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Drives: Kia Forte 2.0
Exclamation 2011 Kia Forte Enging Ticking when Accelerating?

Hi there,

Today I started up my Forte and as I started pushing on the accelerator, I heard a very very audible knocking/ ticking.
Letting off the accelerator stopped the knocking/ ticking sound.
This is a completely different and louder knocking/ ticking than your typical cold start.

First and second gear seem to be the worst, but the knocking/ ticking is still there in third, fourth, and fifth gears.
My Forte is an automatic, at 89k miles, and it definitely seems like a piston or transmission problem...
I will be taking it to a mechanic today to get it looked at, it just doesn't seem good.

In the past, I have noticed a few really bad starts, where the engine would knock a few times and would shake, then would stall/ die.
In those cases, turning it off and giving the fuel pump a few seconds and starting it again and it would be fine.
Although those bad starts were very few and far between, probably happened a handful of times this past winter, especially in or near negative temperatures.

Anyone have the same problem?
Again, the ticking/ knocking mostly goes away as soon as you let off of the gas. There is a louder knocking/ ticking when at idle, but not too much louder than normal; However it is persistent and won't go away after it's driven for a while.

Any help on this would be great. Really hoping I'm not looking at replacing the engine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 01:29 PM

Drives: 2011 Forte5 SX, 2011 Tucson, 2012 Veloster, 2006 Spectra SX
Garage
Could be a front CV joint. Is it louder when you turn?

2011 Kia Forte5 SX hatchback (daily driver)
2011 Hyundai Tucson (wife's car)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (1st daughters car)
2006 Kia Spectra SX sedan (2nd daughters car)
Previous cars: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 - 2006 Hyundai Tucson V6 - 2006 Kia Sedona EX - 2008 Kia Rondo EX - 2006 Spectra5 SX hatchback
post #3 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM

Are you able to hear this same noise if you just rev up the engine in park? At what mileage intervals has the oil been changed? Also which oil (dino or synthetic, along with viscosity), and filter make have you used on the oil changes?

2011 SX 2.4L A/T 96K

post #4 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
Could be a front CV joint. Is it louder when you turn?
Just took it into a local mechanic (American Car Care), and they it definitely is a Piston or a Connector Rod issue. (Or something similar; I'm not that great with cars, so connector rod might not be what he said; It was something along the lines of that..)
They kept pushing it off as "Maybe there's a service recall, it might be under warranty," and told me to go to a Kia dealer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaguy007 View Post
Are you able to hear this same noise if you just rev up the engine in park? At what mileage intervals has the oil been changed? Also which oil (dino or synthetic, along with viscosity), and filter make have you used on the oil changes?
The noise is starting to happen when idling, and yes you can hear it when you rev it in park.
It's not as loud as actually accelerating, or putting it in Drive and holding your foot on the brake and giving it some gas, but it is there.

I am the third owner of this Forte, and I am concerned that it might not be covered under Kia's 10yr, 100k mile warranty.
Technically it is a 'certified pre-owned' vehicle, and that it carries the original manufacturer warranty until 4/29/16 or until 60k miles... Which, might make eligibility for Kia's warranty, considering that (4/29/16) is 5 years after original owner's purchase?

The closest Kia dealer said they can take a look at it on Monday.

-Edit
Forgot to answer all of your questions.
We've had the oil changed every 3,000 to 4,000 miles, never let it go past 4,000 before getting an oil change. Always used 5w20, and I believe it's always been conventional 'dino' oil.
I normally get it done at Pennzoil, and they use PH2808 filter and B520 every time.

Last edited by nameloc; 03-21-2017 at 03:29 PM.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameloc View Post
I am the third owner of this Forte, and I am concerned that it might not be covered under Kia's 10yr, 100k mile warranty.
Technically it is a 'certified pre-owned' vehicle, and that it carries the original manufacturer warranty until 4/29/16 or until 60k miles... Which, might make eligibility for Kia's warranty, considering that (4/29/16) is 5 years after original owner's purchase?
Original owners get the 10y/100k mile warranty

Subsequent owners only get the balance of a 5y/60k miles warranty

However, if you purchased it as a 'certified pre-owned' vehicle, they you are supposed to get the 10y/100k mile warranty that the original owner got. So, if it was 'certified pre-owned' then it should still be covered. http://www.kia.com/us/en/cpo/about

Previous cars: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6 - 2006 Hyundai Tucson V6 - 2006 Kia Sedona EX - 2008 Kia Rondo EX - 2006 Spectra5 SX hatchback
post #6 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 03:36 PM

It sounds like it could be a rod bearing. How long have you owned the car and what mileage was it when you bought it? You have obviously changed the oil regularly, but who knows what the previous 2 owners did. Good luck with the dealer, I hope you get it taken care of under warranty.

2015 Forte SX 5 door with 6 speed manual
2016 Audi A4 Quattro with 6 speed manual
2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster with 6 speed manual
post #7 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Original owners get the 10y/100k mile warranty

Subsequent owners only get the balance of a 5y/60k miles warranty

However, if you purchased it as a 'certified pre-owned' vehicle, they you are supposed to get the 10y/100k mile warranty that the original owner got. So, if it was 'certified pre-owned' then it should still be covered.
Ahh... I honestly have no idea how to check and find out.
The paper from the 'window' of the car, back when I bought it, says:
"Original manufacturer warranty:
5 years: (4/29/16) or 60,000 miles"

Guessing that means I'm probably out of luck.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walpole5 View Post
It sounds like it could be a rod bearing. How long have you owned the car and what mileage was it when you bought it? You have obviously changed the oil regularly, but who knows what the previous 2 owners did. Good luck with the dealer, I hope you get it taken care of under warranty.
I bought the car 9/15/15, with 43,195 miles on it.
Currently at 89,800 miles.

And thanks!
I don't have the money for repairs, so I'm guessing worst case scenario we trade it in. :/

-Edit
My Forte is not certified pre-owned, and therefore does not fall under the warranty.

Last edited by nameloc; 03-21-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: updated information
post #9 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 04:48 PM

In answer to your original question, there have been a few reports on various KIA/Hyundai forums of similar issues with Theta MPI engines. And, in every case I've read, aftermarket oil filters had been used. I'm not telling you that those non-KIA filters were the cause of the issues, just conveying some information I'm familiar with. And unfortunately this is of no help to you because, with 2 prior owners who did whatever, you would almost certainly get no help from Pennzoil.

AFA trading it, you would take a beating because anyone else will hear the same thing you do, and deduct $$ for a major engine repair. So it's unlikely you will get anywhere even close to the book value of your vehicle. Is there any chance you could take out a loan for the repair? Depending on what the prices are in your local area, you might be able to get an engine from a boneyard wreck installed for around 2K. If that sounds like it's doable for you, try calling independent shops for a quote on a used engine.
NovaResource likes this.

2011 SX 2.4L A/T 96K
post #10 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 06:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ahh... I honestly have no idea how to check and find out.
The paper from the 'window' of the car, back when I bought it, says:
"Original manufacturer warranty:
5 years: (4/29/16) or 60,000 miles"

Guessing that means I'm probably out of luck.
Quote:
My Forte is not certified pre-owned, and therefore does not fall under the warranty.
Bummer

Quote:
I normally get it done at Pennzoil, and they use PH2808 filter and B520 every time.
Quote:
In answer to your original question, there have been a few reports on various KIA/Hyundai forums of similar issues with Theta MPI engines. And, in every case I've read, aftermarket oil filters had been used. I'm not telling you that those non-KIA filters were the cause of the issues, just conveying some information I'm familiar with. And unfortunately this is of no help to you because, with 2 prior owners who did whatever, you would almost certainly get no help from Pennzoil.
Unfortunately, this is very true: Technical service bulletin aftermarket oil filters
Fram and Penzoil are really the worst filters you can put on any car. They are basically junk.
I guess the best case would be the filter is causing the sound. Changing the filter MIGHT make the noise go away if the problem is the filter and not engine damage. That's what I would try first. Replace the filter with an OEM Hyundai/Kia filter and see if the noise goes away. It couldn't hurt to try. Only costs about $5 for the filter and a half quart of oil.

Last edited by NovaResource; 03-21-2017 at 06:49 PM.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
... Changing the filter MIGHT make the noise go away if the problem is the filter and not engine damage. ....
Last week on another forum, there was an instance of ticking noise being greatly reduced when an aftermarket filter was replaced by a KIA. Although the issue posted by this OP sounds more advanced and severe, I'd agree about trying the KIA filter. As you said, very little time and money to try it, with everything to gain and nothing to lose.

2011 SX 2.4L A/T 96K
post #12 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Last week on another forum, there was an instance of ticking noise being greatly reduced when an aftermarket filter was replaced by a KIA. Although the issue posted by this OP sounds more advanced and severe, I'd agree about trying the KIA filter. As you said, very little time and money to try it, with everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Alright, so...
A little research online has lead me to a post in Kia Forums where someone with a 2012 Kia Rio had a very similar problem.
In his instance, it was the tensioner. (The dealer also updated the computer so his transmission would sync or something like that...)
I'm starting to think that might be the same in my case.

I might be unable to post links, but the thread is titled "Rattle in engine when accelerating" by "kmay0417"
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2012-ri...elerating.html

Anyhow... just changed oil, oil filter, and spark plugs.
Used Mobil 5W20 Full Synthetic with Mobil M1-104.
And NGK spark plugs.
Still getting the noise.

Here's a startup after changing oil, filter, and plugs. The sound is very noticeable in this video, and it's only when I put my phone near the belt...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5igCS2D748

Additional video, it's more subtle but if you listen closely you can tell the difference between the sides of the engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEEoK94KKw

I'll try and upload a picture of the old spark plugs as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170325_110846.jpg (96.8 KB, 77 views)
post #13 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM

I have a very similar issue, but I am assuming this is a motor mount issue. Mine gets worse during acceleration or just giving it gas in neutral. Although it got to the point of putting the car in limp mode, but I can see the mount move. Either way, the mount has to be replaced, so figured I'd start there.

It's a very scary sound...sounds heavy metal on metal grinding.

Probably going to tear into it this week...getting tired of driving the beat up maxima...missing my 5.

Have you considered this could be mounts? I've got 180k, so I'm due for a new engine either way, but still hoping it's only mounts.

11 Kia Forte 5 EX
No planned mods yet
post #14 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Garage
To me that sounds external, not an internal problem. Could be a tensioner or even a loose harmonic balancer.

post #15 of 25 Old 03-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Take a still video of your engine when putting it in drive and reverse with the brake engaged. Look for jerking. If it jerks, bad mount(s)