Kia Forte Forum banner

2.4L engine replacement

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  zaradomerix 
#1 ·
So I finally got in my replacement engine, going to attempt to pull the blown one & transplant the used 2010 I got. Anybody here every attempted this before? Any advice would be helpful.

#4 ·
I do actually. I just completed the same thing. I had to dissasemble my 2010 Koup to have the head and block checked for warpage. Head was destroyed. Block was fine. So I put a new head on the engine and reassembled the car (This is the fourth time I've had this engine apart).

Some helpful advice would be to use a paint marker or some tape that you can write on to label your connections. Took me less than an hour to get the head and all mechanical parts reassembled. Took me about 4 to find where all the plugs and wires went afterwards. You always think you will remember, but you never do.

The next advice I would give. If you are unsure if you need to use RTV or some sort of gasket sealer, DO IT ANYWAYS! You would rather have it be extra sealed than not seal at all. Also, make sure you clean everything before attaching it! You could put that engine together perfectly, but a few rocks in your oil will destroy a perfect build. Also make sure to clean off any old gasket sealer or RTV before applying the new stuff. This will mess with its sealing ability.

Some more "Forte Specific" advice would be to remove the passenger side front wheel and front clip (bumper and radiator support) if you haven't already done so. Removing these two things will make getting a wrench in and out of tight spaces much easier, and won't take you much extra time to reinstall. Those who have worked on a forte understand how little room there is between the timing side of the engine and the inner fender of the vehicle.

Make sure you have the engine supported from at least two points until ALL engine and trans mounts are torqued down. Its an easy way to blow a mount, or get some engine vibration if you put too much strain on the mounts during the reinstall. Also make sure to install the oil pan BEFORE you put the engine in the car. It is a pain in the you know what if you have to try to reach all the bolts through the frame while lying on the floor of your home garage.

If you need to time the engine during your install make sure all the timing marks are lined up and rotate the engine several times before calling it good. You would much rather take 5 minutes now to be sure of the timing than bend your valves and have to tear the engine apart again. If you need timing instructions for the vehicle I can post them with pictures, just let me know, and good luck with the swap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.