Humming noise from front end - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Default Humming noise from front end

So for about the last 12,000 miles, I have been experiencing a loud humming noise from the front end of the car that only occurs when engaging the clutch from a dead stop with minimal throttle. The noise is comparable to a tuning fork that I can worsen by trying to start in 2nd or 3rd gear (3rd being worse than 2nd, 2nd being worse than 1st). If I try to start in third and I engage and hold the clutch in just the right spot, it will give me that very harmonic noise for the first couple of feet of movement. The noise is more intense when I am starting from a dead stop in grass or gravel (any surface with more friction) and MUCH worse (annoying) when trying to start up hill. I took it to the dealer (12,000 miles ago) and took the mechanic for a ride. He scratched his head and said he couldn't replicate the sound on the lift (since it only happened when there was a significant load on the wheels). His only theory as to what the noise was, was that there was a "harmonic vibration" coming from the catalytic converter that when there was just enough back pressure in the exhaust, it could cause the cat. to vibrate and create that tuning fork like sound.

Does anyone have any clues as to what this could be and what I could do to solve it?
I can take a video and post if anyone would like to see/hear it first hand.

I have a manual/2.4L koup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Garage

Sure sounds like a throwout bearing going south with the timing, but they squeal..
#3 Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 PM

Wouldn't the mechanic have noticed something like that or was he maybe just not to great of a mechanic?
I know it's not covered under warranty, what is the repair going to cost?
#4 Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 PM

Garage

^^\
if it is the throw out bearing
the repair cost is going to be a bit painful.. cause its going to take a couple hours to do the work

The throw out bearing itself should be cheap thou
its a cheap part

Black on black SX

H/p = cubic dollars
how much your willing too spend will dictate how fast you can go
#5 Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 PM

I did a little research on symptoms of a bad throw-out bearing and it doesn't sound as if that's what it is. My clutch makes absolutely no noise when in neutral and has no issues once the wheels are in motion.

And as for repair cost- is it going to be more or less than a $1,000? cuz if it's more I will pitch a fit with Kia as this is a lease, and I should not be investing more than $1,000 in a 2010 vehicle, that's just not normal.
#6 Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 AM

Garage

It it is a throwout bearing, unless your car is out of warranty i am not sure why it would not be covered. They should last a while, the last one on my dodge 2500 lasted about 125k before it died. Its basically a clutch rebuild. Also throwout bearing noise will change as the bearing fails. At first there is little noise, as it progresses it becomes almost constant until it completely fails.

Last edited by duncanville1; 04-19-2011 at 02:18 AM.
#7 Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdrow View Post
So for about the last 12,000 miles, I have been experiencing a loud humming noise from the front end of the car that only occurs when engaging the clutch from a dead stop with minimal throttle. The noise is comparable to a tuning fork that I can worsen by trying to start in 2nd or 3rd gear (3rd being worse than 2nd, 2nd being worse than 1st). If I try to start in third and I engage and hold the clutch in just the right spot, it will give me that very harmonic noise for the first couple of feet of movement. The noise is more intense when I am starting from a dead stop in grass or gravel (any surface with more friction) and MUCH worse (annoying) when trying to start up hill. I took it to the dealer (12,000 miles ago) and took the mechanic for a ride. He scratched his head and said he couldn't replicate the sound on the lift (since it only happened when there was a significant load on the wheels). His only theory as to what the noise was, was that there was a "harmonic vibration" coming from the catalytic converter that when there was just enough back pressure in the exhaust, it could cause the cat. to vibrate and create that tuning fork like sound.

Does anyone have any clues as to what this could be and what I could do to solve it?
I can take a video and post if anyone would like to see/hear it first hand.

I have a manual/2.4L koup
I had this same problem in my 2.4 sedan. Had the clutch disc and pressure plate replaced and i haven't heard the sound so far. I've only driven it 2000 miles since the replacement though.

2010 Copperhead Forte SX Sedan 2.4L 6 Speed, Tastefully modded