Kia Forte Forum banner

Check Engine Light + P200A code on new 2011 SX

32K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  DevilsX 
#1 ·
Sooo, I got my car just under a month ago. At about 500 miles, the check engine light came on and it was over Memorial Day weekend so I had to wait until the Tuesday after to get it checked out at the dealership. Anyways, it came back with a P200A code for intake manifold runner performance issues. They ordered the part and told me that it should be in by the following Tuesday (today). Called in today, turns out the part is on backorder with no ETA.

Since the check engine light came on, I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid...but it feels like every now and then my car is super sluggish...

I asked the lady that was helping me, but she wasn't very clear. What exactly does it mean that there is intake manifold runner performance issues? I tried to Google it and search the forum to no avail... Annnnd, is it bad to be driving my car with this problem? She said that it wasn't a problem, but that if my car starts acting funny to call and she'll see about getting me another car to drive while they wait for the part.

What should I be looking out for? I love my car and I don't want to mess it up. I've only ever had one car before this, and it was used...so I'm trying to not do a bad job of taking care of it.

Thank you!!

See less See more
#2 ·
If your engine is performing sluggishly at times the error code issue may be causing the intake sensor to incorrectly report to the ECU causing wrong a/f mix??? Not sure since I have never seen or heard of that code before. Whether it will damage the car further driving it around I doubt it or the dealer would have taken it in and not let you drive it still. They would have to fix it anyway if it does get worse.

#3 ·
Thank you! She said it wasn't a problem to continue driving it when I went and got the report done on the check engine light. When we talked today, she said if it starts acting weird to let her know. I was just worried that it could be flipped on me and not covered if I continue driving it, knowing that there was a problem (albeit minor, apparently).

#4 ·
If i were you, i'd tell them its acting up and take their loaner. This way it pressures the dealership to get you the part faster and get your car back to you asap. Its amazing what dealerships will do when put under pressure. and its a win win for you. You'll have a loaner car out of charge, and your car will be parked somewhere safe, and the dealership should fix it asap. ( i did that when mine had an oil leak, they gave me a brand new sorrento as a loaner, and fixed it quicker once i took their loaner)

#5 ·
I agree with noodile. Its on them if something happens while you are driving it. As Mfury said, they should be the ones to fix it later too. Make sure you keep your contact person's name and phone number handy in case you need it later. I hope everything turns out okay and please let us know what the result of this is. I am particularly interested since I also have a 2011 SX.

#6 ·
Yep - I agree with what's been said so far. Your car's computer should compensate for whatever is happening, so your engine should be fine. Even if your engine is damaged, your dealer is on the hook since they gave you your car back. I'd be sure you have something in writing that shows the dealer signed off on this situation.

#7 ·
Yes, I agree with noodile cause if you are still going to drive a car that is telling you that there is something wrong then you don't have a peace of mind and don't take your chances it might get stalled somewhere so take noodile's advise...I go for it.

#8 ·
Did I meet you at rick case kia a few months back? PM me if you need any help with it. I'm pretty cool with the service department so I can see if they'll help you out. Good luck.

#9 ·
usually the cars ecu will go into limp mode so not the blow the motor ( this is to protect the motor ) . The ecu is compensating for the fuel and air mixture error. I had this happen on my evolution . The car would feel some what sluggish . You should be find driving the car as long as you hammer it. if check engine light flashes intermittent then you really have a problem. If its solid then its just a warning . good luck

#11 ·
Checking "Check Engine Light"

We have both an Ultra Gauge: UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool and a ScanGauge II: ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool

Both do a wonderful job, I like the ScanGauge better even though it costs more, but I'm a geek and like the programmability functions. The Ultra Gauge runs about 1/3 the price but is more awkward to remove (you have to unplug the OBDII plug) while the ScanGauge uses an RJ-45 cable you can unplug from the back of the mounted unit and leave the cabling in place.

#12 ·
Thanks y'all! Got a call Thursday that the part was in... but I work restaurant hours, so I was there 10am-10pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday... The lady scheduling things is off on Mondays, so she didn't want to schedule me then. Going in Tuesday to get it fixed! When I mentioned getting a loaner so I could drop it off sooner (Thursday/Friday), she was weird and said she didn't think she could do that. Either way! My car will be fixed up Tuesday. I'm going to have them do the first oil change then too, most likely... I have 2 years of free changes, and I have heard it's best to change the oil early on the first time. :)

#13 ·
Glad to hear all is working out. And sorry to hijack the thread but are you interested in joining a local Forte club here in Atlanta? Which dealership did you get yours from if you don't mind me asking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.