[22-23 April 2017] Pullin' the motor!
We definitely encountered minor set backs. But, all three of us being crew chiefs on F-35's, we utilized our training and ingenuity to overcome the small problems. The engine is currently on an engine stand, not fully apart because of two, constricted head bolts near the timing chain side. We found a couple of things, but so far, nothing too concerning.
We pulled the control arms, drive shaft, & brake assemblies off. Karlee is literally sittin' on junk Miata wheels. We did this to lower the vehicle so we could get clearance for the engine hoist.
The engine hoist is attached. The seatbelt we engineered was too long to clear the garage.
Here's a time-lapse of the engine pull. Sorry in advanced for the potato quality. Feel free to ask questions!
We shortened the seat belt, lowered the car off the jack stands and onto Miata tires, and Viola! The engine is pulled!
Here's the empty engine bay.
The bell-housing disconnected from the transaxle.
Pics of the pressure plate and flywheel.
Here, you can see that the timing cover is removed.
This is where we stopped on Saturday night. The electric impact wrench that my buddy had didn't have enough power... Somehow, we managed to get ONE flywheel bolt off. I also had to purchase this specific size torque bit. It's either T-60 or T-65.
Our goal for today was to remove the remaining flywheel bolts & mount the engine on a stand. We borrowed an air compressor and air impact wrench from a friend. Within ten seconds, all fly wheel bolts were removed. PRO TIP: having an air compressor with an air impact wrench helps tremendously!
Now that the flywheel is off, we can finally mount it on the engine stand.
The valve caps fell out as we turned the engine upside down to inspect and remove the oil pump.
There are some metal shavings near the top of this oil pump.
The bottom end. Here you can see cylinder 2 and 3 has some burnt discoloration.
We inspected what we could see from this angle. The wrist pins, the rods, the cylinder walls, the underside of the pistons didn't seem too damaged.
This was our stopping point for Sunday evening. We couldn't really press on until we get the head off (see above post for reason why).
This upcoming weekend, I'm wanting to get the head off to finally see what the exact damage could be. Since my buddies are so graciously helping me, I'll be helping them this weekend. We have a jet ski engine rebuild to do and the start of a dirtbike rebuild.
Comment on what you think about the discrepancies that we found.
STAY TUNED FOR NEXT WEEKEND!