Kia Forte Forum banner

Massive Battery Terminal Corrosion, HIDs? - pics

7K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  10_SX 
#1 ·
The positive battery terminal below was completely cleaned two weeks ago by a Kia tech while swapping my engine, it looked similar to this beforehand. So that means the corrosion in the below pictures developed in two weeks or less. The two connections on terminal are my headlights and my fog lights. Both 35 watt 6000k with complete harness for each. Has anyone seen this before? Is it my lights? Can I stop this? Is this harmful to my battery or wires? Any help is appreciated. Auto part
Auto part Vehicle Car
Auto part Gas Family car

2010 Forté SX - 6spd Manual - Spicy Red

See less See more
#3 ·
From Answers .com

Corrosion at Battery Terminals Usually, battery terminal corrosion occurs when the factory seal between the battery case and the lead terminal has failed, allowing some electrolyte [battery acid] to work its way through to the outside. It tends to "wick" upward [due to surface tension] on the terminal post, and eventually to the cable clamp also. Although lead in the battery terminal is relatively inert, the Sulphuric Acid does cause some corrosion. The fact that this is happening only at one terminal suggests the the seal at the other terminal is still intact. This is unusual in that eventually almost all batteries leak slightly and cause terminal corrosion. The only "fix" is to remove the cable clamps, clean the terminals and clamps well, apply some grease around the base of the terminal post and on the non-contact area of the cable clamp, then reinstall, and coat the entire assembly with grease. This will tend to inhibit the ability of the acid and its vapors from contact with the interface of the terminal post and battery cable clamp, an hopefully extend the time period before it becomes necessary to clean the posts and clamps again. For years, it has been recommended that the terminal posts and cable clamps be thoroughly cleaned AT LEAST once a year, and anytime corrosion is observed.

#4 ·
Thank you so much, Ratdaddy for your help. I tried finding answers online as well and couldn't find it.

When you say "grease", is there a specific type that is safe or made for batteries, or that is especially effective at combating the battery acid?

#6 ·
Its leaking. It will be dry in the near future. Thus no longer working. And will continue to leak and corrode everything its surrounded by until then. There is no repair for a leaking battery. You can slow it but its still a time bomb. Winter is the hardest on batteries and I don't want you stuck somewhere Lol. That's no fun.

#7 ·
Well, when you put it that way...I think I need a new battery lol wish I could afford one. I'll have to start looking into them. Guess I'll have to go get it tested again and go from there. Does this just happen to batteries or is it something I did to it?

#10 ·
Yeah. Start saving. It should last a bit. But winter is cruel Lol. A decent replacement should cost ~$80. Some good budget brands are exide or deka or interstate. Beware the discount store stuff. Oh and costco has a name brand hiding under their sticker ;-)

#11 ·
Just took the car to Advance today, battery came back as good. Bought cleaner, grease, terminal brush, and those felt terminal protectors. Also priced a new one... $119+core ?? just gonna clean her up and ride her out. That's just ridiculous.

#13 ·
Well, I got this done last night: Trunk Auto part Technology Automotive exterior Vehicle

The battery grease was a deep purple color, that's why it's tinged that color. Just cleaned everything as well as I could, inspected all parts and wires (only thing eaten at all is the base to the plastic flip cover for the positive post), slathered bases in grease, put those felt pieces in, reassembled then slathered everything in grease - including the crack in the middle. Nothing is open to the air. It sure ain't pretty but I'm hoping this works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.