Headlights flickering at idle? - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Headlights flickering at idle?

Just noticed this the other night, but it looks like my headlights are flickering when my car is idling. Now, I do have a retrofit BUT the ballasts are drawing their power straight from the cars battery. The stock wiring system/harness is still all in perfect shape and hasn't been touched.

Could it be the alternator going bad? As soon as I step on the gas to increase the revs, the flickering stops.

I still have 2 years left on the warranty so IF it is the alternator I can easily get it replaced...all I would need is a pair of stock headlights to throw back on the car when I take it to the dealer so they don't try and blame it on the HIDs/retrofit.

Any ideas?

The car is just over 3 years old so seeing an alternator go at this point seems a little fishy.

- 2010 Koup SX, tinted windows, TWM short shifter and all bushings, Custom HID retrofit - Mini H1 vers. 4.1 projectors, DDM 35w 4300K bulbs and ballasts, yellow tinted fogs w/ Nokya JDM bulbs, 18" Enkei Lusso's, Eibach Pro-Kit, K&N Typhoon SRI, OBX lightweight pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I WAS AN ACCIDENT!!

Have you tried changing the harness with a new one? Give that a shot, you could just have a bad harness!

2013 Koup EX 2.0L
K&N Typhoon, HFC, 2.5" CAT-BACK, TWM Short Throw, Broken K, 17" Speedy GT-R Sport Wheels, Vibrant Performance FSTB, CDV Delete, ATQ Subframe Collars, SCF Poly Front/Rear engine Mounts

"What I value most in my friends is Loyalty" -David Mamet
post #3 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Garage

Check through the wiring to make sure there are no rubs/cuts. Check all connections to be sure of no corrosion and they are tight. Use a lil dielectric grease on the connectors to be sure of a good connection and no corrosion in the future. Double check the fuse is g.t.g. (try swapping it for a bit)

S.F.C.Hooligan 2013 Sedan 2.0 * 6spd Manual
post #4 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

I DO have another harness so I suppose I can try swapping that to see if it makes a difference.

- 2010 Koup SX, tinted windows, TWM short shifter and all bushings, Custom HID retrofit - Mini H1 vers. 4.1 projectors, DDM 35w 4300K bulbs and ballasts, yellow tinted fogs w/ Nokya JDM bulbs, 18" Enkei Lusso's, Eibach Pro-Kit, K&N Typhoon SRI, OBX lightweight pulley
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Garage

Good deal. Good luck. Hope it turns out a easy fix ..(it probably is). You got a system or anything else hogging power? We got weak alternator issues. Could be a battery getting weak as well.

S.F.C.Hooligan 2013 Sedan 2.0 * 6spd Manual
post #6 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 PM
I WAS AN ACCIDENT!!

I would change out the harness and then do a battery performance check to see the status. OEM batteries usually lose a little power after 3ish years. I highly doubt it's the alternator.

2013 Koup EX 2.0L
K&N Typhoon, HFC, 2.5" CAT-BACK, TWM Short Throw, Broken K, 17" Speedy GT-R Sport Wheels, Vibrant Performance FSTB, CDV Delete, ATQ Subframe Collars, SCF Poly Front/Rear engine Mounts

"What I value most in my friends is Loyalty" -David Mamet
post #7 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.f.c.hooligan View Post
Good deal. Good luck. Hope it turns out a easy fix ..(it probably is). You got a system or anything else hogging power? We got weak alternator issues. Could be a battery getting weak as well.
No, no sound system or anything. Only "mod" to the electrical system is the retro. I should have some time this week to swap the harness so ill report back when that's done

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #8 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by accidents23 View Post
I would change out the harness and then do a battery performance check to see the status. OEM batteries usually lose a little power after 3ish years. I highly doubt it's the alternator.
Yeah I'm thinking it could be the battery. How do you do a battery performance test?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #9 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 PM

this might just be contact.. check the connections.. esp. the one where the fuse is on the harness (close to the battery) and the negative contacts..

if it still does, might need capacitors.. easy fix.. good luck

http://www.forteforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic17889_5.gif
post #10 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 AM

If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer...
post #11 of 11 Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thought I'd update this in case anyone else has the same problem.

Turned out to either be a bad harness or grounds. I replaced the harness with a different one and also added dielectric grease to all my grounds for the harness. Problem solved!

The Following User Says Thank You to UnDeR_FLiP For This Useful Post:
forterider14 (10-08-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement