Kia Forte Forum banner

Questions for purchase of a used 2010 SX

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kiaguy007 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

First post and I'm hoping you can help me out.

My old car was written off last week due to an accident.

I'm hoping to buy a replacement car fairly soon as my rental is expiring soon and I've been told month end (or close to it) is the best time for negotiation/deals.

Anyway, I've found a 2010 Forte Koup with about 106000 km (from Canada) on the odo.

I saw the carproof report and there was one claim for 2400 dollars but it was listed as GLASS instead of COLLISION. Still trying to find out from the sales rep if they had any more information but they assure me it was not body/frame related.

I did a test drive and everything seemed to pass my own untrained eyes/ears for inspection.

I saw the "maintenance" check the dealership did (it's a Mazda dealer) and they mentioned the only real issue was a noisy sound coming from the engine and the work they did was tighten some pulley or belt (sorry I'm not a car guy and I only saw the report briefly).

Anyway, along with that above issue, my other concerns were thus:

- I've done some research regarding ESC lights and brakelights not functioning and that there was a recall issued for a fix. Is this fix a relatively good one? (i.e as long as its fixed the issue won't reappear down the road?)

- The next concern is that I've read multiple reports on 2010 models about TPMS sensor's failing. Not only do they fail, but the bolt that connects it from inside the tire to the sensor itself has been prone to corrosion or damage, leading to rapid loss of pressure and at times a flat or blown tire while being driven. Has there been any determinant fix for this? Or is this something owners just deal with as it comes up and replace with new TPMS? I'm just worried as I drive on the highway a lot and the last thing I need are my tires suddenly losing integrity or exploding.

These 3 issues are my major gripes but other than that, the car seems pretty good and I'd like to close a deal sooner than later.

EDIT: Sorry, since I'm asking already, is there anything else I should be on the look out for in a used car? It's an automatic in SX trim, about 100k km. The maintenance report said brakes were good but tires were in the "yellow" zone. Other than that, no real alarms.

Regards,

Frosty

See less See more
#2 ·
The recall on the brake lights is for the switch. Was just a bad batch and problem is solved with the new replacement.

Tpms is the same. Replacements rectified the problem.

Only other issue with the 10 is rear brake calipers have been known to stick due to lack of appropriate amount of grease. That's a easy fix as well.

I'd just look at it like any other used car purchase. Carefully. They are pretty good cars and with appropriate maintenance will last a long time. If price reflects the conditions and the claim is for glass I'd not run from a good deal.

That glass claim may well be from another early model issue. The heated windshields were having a issue breaking along the bottom. OE heated windshields would be in that cost range. I'd bet that's a likely scenario. The replacements were also a solid fix on this as well.

#3 ·
Tpms is the same. Replacements rectified the problem.

Only other issue with the 10 is rear brake calipers have been known to stick due to lack of appropriate amount of grease. That's a easy fix as well.
Thank you for this. The TPMS is probably the most pressing problem for me. Not that I don't believe you but I've read reports of failures occurring even after replacement TPMS.

Did Kia actually modify the sensor in some way a few years later to prevent the issue from happening? Or have they only been giving the same sensor as replacements to constitute a fix?

If it's the former then I guess it's safe to assume problem has been permanently fixed. If it's only the latter I worry there is a risk down the road of re-occurrence.

#6 ·
...I'm hoping to buy a replacement car fairly soon as my rental is expiring soon and I've been told month end (or close to it) is the best time for negotiation/deals. ...
Always best to not buy anything feeling like you're under-the-gun. Consider everything that's available, including buying new if that's at all a possibility for you. Take your time and make the best choice available to you, even if it means paying for a rental for a week or so. Keep in mind you'll probably have to live with this decision for at least a few years.

I saw the carproof report and there was one claim for 2400 dollars but it was listed as GLASS instead of COLLISION. Still trying to find out from the sales rep if they had any more information but they assure me it was not body/frame related...
Request a CARFAX report to try to cross-check this information. If they "can't" do that, walk away.

... I saw the "maintenance" check the dealership did (it's a Mazda dealer) and they mentioned the only real issue was a noisy sound coming from the engine and the work they did was tighten some pulley or belt ...
JMHO, but that sounds really strange. Why would anyone selling a vehicle mention that it had "noise from the engine"? If they fixed it and the noise is gone, they're just sending up an unnecessary red flag. I don't understand this at all, and would consider it to be a warning about this vehicle. At the very least an inspection at an indy shop would be a must, with special attention being paid to anything unusual regarding the engine or transmission.

Might be good if you posted your best dickered-down price, and the options on this Forte. IMO, any claim on the report, should take it down to lowest retail price point. Wouldn't be surprised if they picked it up at auction for a really low wholesale price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.