Best leather care product for the SX???? - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 PM

Question Best leather care product for the SX????

Ok, I'm curious as to what all you leather-trimmed SX owners out there use to maintain and clean your leather. I've heard one already (thanks Tebore!), now I'm curious as to what the rest of you may recommend. I'm using Armor-All wipes right now, but I'm quite sure there must be better out there. Anyone use leather feed as well????

Blue Koup SX 6MT Gone
Mustang GT 5MT Now

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Garage

I have only cleaned the leather once, but used the meguiers leather wipes, followed with a Terry cloth towel to reduce shine, I've been curious about this as well...

2011 Kia Forte SX sedan-Titanium:SHADY
#3 Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 PM

Garage

I figured a new thread was in order.

I've used the Armor-All leather protectant and the regular old AA protectant and they suck for leather.

For some reason AA Leather Protectant also smells like poop after a while too.

The best stuffs I've used for leather is the 303 I mentioned in the other thread. The second I found that's also really good strangely isn't for automotive use but for leather jackets. I bought it when I bought my leather jacket. I figured it worked so good on my leather jackets it should do well in my car. I'll get the name tomorrow when I can find the bottle.

If you want to feed your leather after a long hot summer or a cold harsh winter is to soak a rag in Olive Oil and wipe the seats. It will soak in to the leather. Just follow up with another rag to get any excess. I find this really helps. This works for leather jackets as well. Follow up with a decent protectant like 303 a week later.

Key is to use some warm water to clean your leather often and before treatments. You can use some warm soap water if you spill something greasy.

2010 Forte SX Sedan. Morimoto 4300K HIDs in MH1 retro'd by Under_Flip, LED interior lights, K-badges, Koup-R Strut bar, Solo Performance Catback(Long Mach QRRez), AEM Dryflow (Koup-R filter), UR Sway and rear lower bars and Tints.
#4 Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM

Garage

I've never had leather but do consider my self an amateur detailer, that and I'm super clean, anyways so typically I'd be ok to wipe down dust, dirt etc with a warm wet cloth and maybe once a month use soapy water to actually clean the leather followed with a protectant, along with a seasonal moisturizing like olive oil? I guess I could search other things that would mousturize it as I'm kinda feelin sketchy on the olive oil.

Have you ever used an all purpose cleaner on interior to "clean" or prep for protectant? I always use a wet cloth and not sure what kind of soap to use either?

#5 Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 AM

Please.. PLEASE don't use olive oil! That is the first time I've ever heard that. Heat and air will cause olive oil to go rancid! I have no idea what special properties anyone thought olive oil has. Perhaps you have heard mineral oil at one time.

I'm guessing that the leather is painted leather (I'm almost sure of it without even seeing it first hand). So it's probably aniline leather. While you can use any good vinyl/plastic product on it, I personally like Leather CPR or Lexol's leather cleaner and also their conditioner. I feel that the product does penetrate the dye/paint used on the leather. If you are going to use a vinyl/plastic treatment I'd recommend 303's Aerospace protectant, Lexol's Vinylex, Mequiars M40. Mequiars also make a nice leather Aloe combo that I like for cleaning and then conditioning.

Personally I stay away from anything with the name Armor-all but that is just me. I also stay away from wipes as they contain very little product for a high price. For cleaners I spray on lightly, wait and then remove with a microfiber towel. For conditioners I work in with my fingers, wait and then remove with a microfiber towel.

Cleaning is _very_ important. That alone helps the leather look good. You can use just a warm damp towel for this if you want. Personally, I still like mild cleaners made for leather.
#6 Old 06-22-2011, 01:24 AM

Garage

Nice write up, I think I'll be switching to meguiers leather stuff in the bottle ( can't remember name) because the wipes don't carry very much product, hard to get an even application, starts really wet then drys out so I find myself trying to blend the mess, warm damp cloth and meguiers clean/condition it is.

#7 Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Lexol once a week, clean and condition... smells like nice leather and keeps it real soft. Make sure whatever product you use has a high glycerin content, it helps our cheaper leather last longer.

SX Koup bright silver 6spd m/t
leather package w/sunroof
black fuzzy dice
Spectre SRI
Wingtech spoiler
Kenwood speakers, 1200watt sub
#8 Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Nice, I'm def gonna check all these out. And it's true about the Armor-All wipes, they don't do an even job and dry out way to quick. The Lexol products sound promising, I'll look them up.

Blue Koup SX 6MT Gone
Mustang GT 5MT Now

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time."

#9 Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM

NO NO NO. DO NOT USE LEXOL, AND ABSOLUTALY DO NOT USE OLIVE OIL AND DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL WIPES!

I have been treating leather for many years on Jaguars and Mercedes: here is what the pros use: ORDER Products | Leatherique Restoration Products

Get the small bottles of cleaner and the rejuvinator. These products are designed for leather from people who work with automotive leather.

Lexol is crap from autozone..it will do nothing.
Armor-All again... will do nothing
Olive oil is good for cooking. Not for leather.
#10 Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael@microsoftinstruct View Post

Lexol is not "from' Autozone... AutoZone does sell it... along with thousands of other places but they don't make it.

The leather used on Kia's a not the same as leather used in Jaguar or Mercedes vehicles.

Here is my question... if Lexol won't do anything... why won't it? Please do tell.

I won't venture to say that Leatherique is not good... it is. But 1) I would not venture to call anything crap unless I can support that statement and 2) Leatherigue is better suited for higher end leather (Non painted/dyed lather, non aniline leather)
#11 Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
NO NO NO. DO NOT USE LEXOL, AND ABSOLUTALY DO NOT USE OLIVE OIL AND DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL WIPES!

I have been treating leather for many years on Jaguars and Mercedes: here is what the pros use: ORDER Products | Leatherique Restoration Products

Get the small bottles of cleaner and the rejuvinator. These products are designed for leather from people who work with automotive leather.

Leatherique??? Never heard of it, I always heard to use leather feed on older leather. I am curious also as to why Lexol is no good?? Armor-All, it's kinda obvious, but any info on Lexol is def appreciated.

Blue Koup SX 6MT Gone
Mustang GT 5MT Now

#12 Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcope View Post

Lexol is not "from' Autozone... AutoZone does sell it... along with thousands of other places but they don't make it.

The leather used on Kia's a not the same as leather used in Jaguar or Mercedes vehicles.

Here is my question... if Lexol won't do anything... why won't it? Please do tell.

I won't venture to say that Leatherique is not good... it is. But 1) I would not venture to call anything crap unless I can support that statement and 2) Leatherigue is better suited for higher end leather (Non painted/dyed lather, non aniline leather)

So? And your point is?

It does not have the proper ingredients to treat automotive leather. It will simply put a greasy coat of film on your seats and then dry them out after each repeated application.

Leatherique is ideal for automotive leather. I have used it in many cars over many years and it works. Lexol does absolutaly nothing to maintain or improve the leather in a car. Google 'Lexol sucks' and read what others have to say.

Last edited by michael@microsoftinstruct; 06-23-2011 at 09:27 PM.
#13 Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 PM

Hmmm, the Leatherique looks pretty good, but pricey...$40 for two 16 oz. bottles. But if it works and I need apply it periodically, not weekly or so, it seems worth it.

Blue Koup SX 6MT Gone
Mustang GT 5MT Now

#14 Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 PM

You get what ya paid for!
#15 Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
It does not have the proper ingredients to treat automotive leather. It will simply put a greasy coat of film on your seats and then dry them out after each repeated application.

Leatherique is ideal for automotive leather. I have used it in many cars over many years and it works. Lexol does absolutaly nothing to maintain or improve the leather in a car. Google 'Lexol sucks' and read what others have to say.
Rather then answering my statement asking _you_ to back up _your_ statement, you instead ask me to disprove my question? Sorry... they is simply a clear indication that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

So you are relying on an Internet search and if there are any hits on "Lexol sucks" then it's crap? How sad.

I'll leave my question open if you care to support your statement.

I'll just leave it at this... you appear you no true understanding about the different types of leather used by different auto manufactures. You instead appear to think that all leather is the same, including what Mercedes and Jaguar use in comparison to Kia. Here is a wake up call... they are treated completely different and therefore can be cleaned/conditioned differently.

As I've mentioned, Kia will use treated (dyed/painted) leather. Most Mercedes have fake leather unless they are ordered with the leather option. If they came with real leather Mercedes sold you Meguiar's Gold Class Leather cleaner/conditioner (BTW... that is sold at Autozone).

Again, I'll ask you... feel free to back up your statement that Lexol won't do anything or that Lexol is crap.