First performance upgrades, thinking Brakes and Suspension, what say you guys? - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-23-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Mr Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
First performance upgrades, thinking Brakes and Suspension, what say you guys?

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about what performance upgrades I would have done on my 2012 Koup first. As I really don't care about power on a Kia I was thinking I should do something about the suspension as I find the ride to be one of the worst parts of the car.

Also, I don't trust the brakes very much and would very much like to upgrade them.

Could you tuners and retail reps point me to the suspension package that would make the ride better?

And lastly, what brakes should I get that are good and reliable?

Cheers.
Mr Heartless is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 10-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Site Sponsor
 
Paul@K5OptimaStore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,139
Drives: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2007 Nissan 350Z
Thanks: 129
Thanked 70 Times in 66 Posts
The first thing I would suggest would be a set of these sub frame collars, this will increase suspension performance but also cut down on road vibration for a better ride quality.
https://www.k5optimastore.com/produc...ame-collar-kit

Next I would suggest a new rear sway bar and/or a new front strut tower bar. This is reduce body roll and increase cornering performance of your Koup. We carry Ultra racing suspension components for this, you'll need to email us for pricing as we do not have this listed on the website yet! Sales@K5OptimaStore.com

Lastly, if you're wanting to replace you stock shocks and struts and go with coilovers I would suggest a set of Megan Racing coilovers. Again, you can email us for pricing on these!


As for brake pads we source StopTech pads and rotors if you're interested in upgrading either of those over stock pads and rotors. You might want to look into new tires if you're running stock version, as stopping distance is greatly affected by your tires

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out

-Paul
CaptainShanks likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- NOW OPEN!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Paul@K5OptimaStore; 10-23-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Paul@K5OptimaStore is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 10-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: brownstownanon
Posts: 166
Drives: 2006 GMC, 2008 Rio, 2010 Forte
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Bilstein front struts, Koni Sport rears (for the Veloster) on H&R springs. Pads, I suggest some Porterfield's front and rear with cheap new rotors. Ride good, look good and stop great.
bobozillamonster is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 10-25-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Mr Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobozillamonster View Post
Bilstein front struts, Koni Sport rears (for the Veloster) on H&R springs. Pads, I suggest some Porterfield's front and rear with cheap new rotors. Ride good, look good and stop great.
Hi Boboz,

And where would I source those parts from? Any ideas?
Mr Heartless is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 10-25-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Mr Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@K5OptimaStore View Post
The first thing I would suggest would be a set of these sub frame collars, this will increase suspension performance but also cut down on road vibration for a better ride quality.
https://www.k5optimastore.com/produc...ame-collar-kit

Next I would suggest a new rear sway bar and/or a new front strut tower bar. This is reduce body roll and increase cornering performance of your Koup. We carry Ultra racing suspension components for this, you'll need to email us for pricing as we do not have this listed on the website yet! Sales@K5OptimaStore.com

Lastly, if you're wanting to replace you stock shocks and struts and go with coilovers I would suggest a set of Megan Racing coilovers. Again, you can email us for pricing on these!


As for brake pads we source StopTech pads and rotors if you're interested in upgrading either of those over stock pads and rotors. You might want to look into new tires if you're running stock version, as stopping distance is greatly affected by your tires

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out

-Paul
Thank you Paul! will email you guys shortly.
Mr Heartless is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Heartless For This Useful Post:
Paul@K5OptimaStore (10-26-2016)
post #6 of 21 Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: brownstownanon
Posts: 166
Drives: 2006 GMC, 2008 Rio, 2010 Forte
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
I suggest either a store or the internet.
bobozillamonster is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Mr Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone have any other suggestion on the best suspension upgrades strictly to improve ride quality?

So far I've been leaning towards the Megan Racing Coilovers. Anyone have any experience with these?
Mr Heartless is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 11-12-2016, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Jalum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 516
Thanks: 8
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Garage
Megans are good, but I'd personally get the BC Racing or Gecko unless you just want that low look and a stiff ride. There's no problems with them, but if something does go wrong with them you can't rebuild them so you'll have to order an entire new set, so keep that in mind. From the 100's of people on Megans I think only 1 or 2 of them had any issues of a strut blowing out. Just bad luck there. Megans are the cheapest you can go, though. You also have HSD, ARK, and a few others that only a couple people have, but those are all $1000+.

Get you some new tires if you want a little better handling as well. People who are generally new to the car world don't realize that better tires (proper size) will make all the difference as well for cornering, stopping and bad weather driving.

2011 SX
-XXR 535 17x8.25 wheels
-Roadruns grill
-STI front lip
-Smithclub V2 headlights

-NRG steering wheel
-Custom false floor
-Pioneer AVH-3500BHS head unit
-2x Rockford Fosgate P3D410 subs
-Rockford Fosgate T600-2 amp
-2x Rockford Fosgate P1652-S speakers
-Rockford Fosgate T400-4 amp

-SCF front/rear motor mounts
-Ultra Racing strut bar
-BC Racing coilovers
-Eline drilled/slotted rotors
-Megan Racing downpipe+testpipe
-Magnaflow muffler
-TK cai
Jalum is online now  
post #9 of 21 Old 11-13-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Mr Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalum View Post
Megans are good, but I'd personally get the BC Racing or Gecko unless you just want that low look and a stiff ride. There's no problems with them, but if something does go wrong with them you can't rebuild them so you'll have to order an entire new set, so keep that in mind. From the 100's of people on Megans I think only 1 or 2 of them had any issues of a strut blowing out. Just bad luck there. Megans are the cheapest you can go, though. You also have HSD, ARK, and a few others that only a couple people have, but those are all $1000+.

Get you some new tires if you want a little better handling as well. People who are generally new to the car world don't realize that better tires (proper size) will make all the difference as well for cornering, stopping and bad weather driving.
Hey Jalum,

Thank you for your input. I actually dont care about having a stiffer ride as my main priority is ride quality first and foremost as I live in a country with horrendous roads.

Which of the ones you mentioned would be best for that?
Mr Heartless is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 11-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Jalum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 516
Thanks: 8
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Garage
If you want ride quality then Bobozilla's recommendation because coilovers will not give you that in any way. Lol.

2011 SX
-XXR 535 17x8.25 wheels
-Roadruns grill
-STI front lip
-Smithclub V2 headlights

-NRG steering wheel
-Custom false floor
-Pioneer AVH-3500BHS head unit
-2x Rockford Fosgate P3D410 subs
-Rockford Fosgate T600-2 amp
-2x Rockford Fosgate P1652-S speakers
-Rockford Fosgate T400-4 amp

-SCF front/rear motor mounts
-Ultra Racing strut bar
-BC Racing coilovers
-Eline drilled/slotted rotors
-Megan Racing downpipe+testpipe
-Magnaflow muffler
-TK cai
Jalum is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jalum For This Useful Post:
Mr Heartless (11-13-2016)
post #11 of 21 Old 11-13-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Mr Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalum View Post
If you want ride quality then Bobozilla's recommendation because coilovers will not give you that in any way. Lol.
Ah, i figured as much. Do you know of any stores where I could go online to search for those parts?

Also, do I keep the the front shocks OEM? Just replacing all the springs with H&R like he said?

Last edited by Mr Heartless; 11-13-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Mr Heartless is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 11-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Jalum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 516
Thanks: 8
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Garage
As far as stores go there are quite a few and Google will honestly be your best help over what I can offer.

He has the Blistein struts for the front and the Koni Sport shocks for the rear. You'll replace the OEM springs on the struts for the H&R springs with the Blistein struts. For the rear shocks you can change out the springs with the H&R but you don't really have to.

2011 SX
-XXR 535 17x8.25 wheels
-Roadruns grill
-STI front lip
-Smithclub V2 headlights

-NRG steering wheel
-Custom false floor
-Pioneer AVH-3500BHS head unit
-2x Rockford Fosgate P3D410 subs
-Rockford Fosgate T600-2 amp
-2x Rockford Fosgate P1652-S speakers
-Rockford Fosgate T400-4 amp

-SCF front/rear motor mounts
-Ultra Racing strut bar
-BC Racing coilovers
-Eline drilled/slotted rotors
-Megan Racing downpipe+testpipe
-Magnaflow muffler
-TK cai
Jalum is online now  
post #13 of 21 Old 11-14-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Mr Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalum View Post
As far as stores go there are quite a few and Google will honestly be your best help over what I can offer.

He has the Blistein struts for the front and the Koni Sport shocks for the rear. You'll replace the OEM springs on the struts for the H&R springs with the Blistein struts. For the rear shocks you can change out the springs with the H&R but you don't really have to.
Thanks, the rear and front sway bars together with the subframe collars will help too right?
Mr Heartless is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 11-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Jalum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 516
Thanks: 8
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Garage
You'll notice a huge difference in any one of those and with all 3 on it'll be like driving a completely different model of the Forte.

2011 SX
-XXR 535 17x8.25 wheels
-Roadruns grill
-STI front lip
-Smithclub V2 headlights

-NRG steering wheel
-Custom false floor
-Pioneer AVH-3500BHS head unit
-2x Rockford Fosgate P3D410 subs
-Rockford Fosgate T600-2 amp
-2x Rockford Fosgate P1652-S speakers
-Rockford Fosgate T400-4 amp

-SCF front/rear motor mounts
-Ultra Racing strut bar
-BC Racing coilovers
-Eline drilled/slotted rotors
-Megan Racing downpipe+testpipe
-Magnaflow muffler
-TK cai
Jalum is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jalum For This Useful Post:
Mr Heartless (11-15-2016)
post #15 of 21 Old 11-15-2016, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Mr Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalum View Post
You'll notice a huge difference in any one of those and with all 3 on it'll be like driving a completely different model of the Forte.
Sounds good, exactly what I want. Thanks alot Jalum.
Mr Heartless is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off