Lowering Springs? - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By CaptainShanks
  • 1 Post By Paul@K5OptimaStore

post #1 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Lowering Springs?

Hey guys,
I just recently got a 2011 Koup and I was wondering whether or not springs are a good investment. I am in high school so I have limited income working at a golf course, but I am wondering if I should really save up to get some coils instead. Also, do you guys think I should get some new wheels or stick with my stock ones for a while because I know that is a big investment. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Site Sponsor

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2007 Nissan 350Z
I think you can run stock wheels on a lowered set up and it look perfectly fine, especially if you're ballin' on a budget. You're definitely doing it the right way though, lower first then do wheels. Depending on how many miles are on your Koup would I be able to give you an answer and here's why.

If you're nearing 100k you probably want to save for coilovers as springs add stress to stock shocks and struts and degrades them quicker. Plus you're getting close to the time that stock struts and shocks can start to break down and get floaty. If you're sitting around 40-60k miles you could probably go with springs and be ok

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

|
|
|
|

- NOW OPEN!

post #3 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@K5OptimaStore View Post
I think you can run stock wheels on a lowered set up and it look perfectly fine, especially if you're ballin' on a budget. You're definitely doing it the right way though, lower first then do wheels. Depending on how many miles are on your Koup would I be able to give you an answer and here's why.

If you're nearing 100k you probably want to save for coilovers as springs add stress to stock shocks and struts and degrades them quicker. Plus you're getting close to the time that stock struts and shocks can start to break down and get floaty. If you're sitting around 40-60k miles you could probably go with springs and be ok
I am currently at around 63k miles. I will probably be getting towards 100k within the next 2 and a half years so do you think I would still be cool with running springs?

post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Drives: 2006 GMC, 2008 Rio, 2010 Forte
If you're going to put springs on, change the shocks and struts. They were terrible when they were new with stock springs, they will only be worse with lowering springs. Mine had "done leaked out and were busted" at 60k on the car, with 20k of that being on a completely different suspension so they had less than 40k miles.

My suggestion for a good ride/handling option: H&R springs, Bilstein front struts, Koni rear shocks and a 19mm rear sway bar. It's amazing how well that combo will feel.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 PM

Drives: Forte Koup SX
Garage
I had the same conundrum. Springs are cheaper and can buy them quickly. Coilovers are a bit more 'spensive so you'd have to save a little longer. I decided to purchase coilovers! I read around and people who bought springs for $150-$200 ended up buying coilovers later on. (Should've just saved that money and invested in coilovers if they were gonna buy it anyways, ya know?) I asked the same question as well - "What are the proper steps for going low?" Paul from K5 Optima Store replied with virtually the same answer - you can get a sense of what wheels you want when you're at a ride height you enjoy.

My set up is Megan Racing Coilovers Street EZ II's + White Rota Grids 17x8 +35 with Ohtsu All-Weather Tires (215/40/17). I'm lovin my current set up! Pics will be coming soon along with a video!
JD Murphy likes this.

Call Me Captain!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainShanks For This Useful Post:
JD Murphy (04-10-2017)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Site Sponsor

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2007 Nissan 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Murphy View Post
I am currently at around 63k miles. I will probably be getting towards 100k within the next 2 and a half years so do you think I would still be cool with running springs?
In my experience I've never run just springs and always go with coilovers. As for comfort of the car that question is very subjective and all opinion based. I have customers that swear up and down that springs on stock shocks are perfectly fine and ride great while others complain about it and go with coilovers or aftermarket shocks and struts.

Understanding how the suspension works I would expect the ride to be rougher riding on just springs. If you're planning on keeping the car long term as well I would save up for coilovers. Megan EZ streets are a budget set of coilovers that are great for when money is tight
K5 Optima Store likes this.

|
|
|
|
|

|
|
|
|

- NOW OPEN!

post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 AM

Drives: 2006 GMC, 2008 Rio, 2010 Forte
For ride comfort, coilovers are far from the best option. I've run many different options on many Korean cars over the years. Best ride comfort will be quality shocks/struts and eibach or H&R springs. Eibachs run a little softer typically while H&R's have a more euro (think audi/bmw) feel. If you're in a salt-belt state coilovers will corrode and be useless in the first winter. They typically have less suspension travel than even lowering springs, harsher rates and are just not built as well.

If all you want to is drop it to the weeds and to hell with handling or ride, than coilovers are perfect for that.

Regardless of which way you go, you cannot use the stock shocks/struts. They were terrible new, and only got worse with age.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the insight guys. I really appreciate it
The Following User Says Thank You to JD Murphy For This Useful Post:
CaptainShanks (04-19-2017)