Clutch Job- Dropping sub frame mandatory? - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fisher363

post #1 of 5 Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Clutch Job- Dropping sub frame mandatory?

Hey Guys, nice to meet everyone. First post here.

Doing the clutch job in a week on my 2012 Kia Forte Koup EX and I am going over the notes. Came away with one question so far, is dropping the sub frame mandatory on these cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM

Drives: Forte Koup SX
Garage
To access the clutch and tranny, yes. According to the F S M, it has you remove the transaxle assembly. And in order to remove the transaxle, it has you remove the sub frame.

Looks like fun! I'll be getting in to that stuff this weekend! I'm removing the engine along with the trans.

(I shelled out the $14 for the F S M and it's been my bible by my side for the past two days. I love this how-to knowledge. Great stuff!)

Call Me Captain!

post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

For future reference, it is not mandatory. Remove the left control arm and that gives you enough space to change the clutch. It is a tight fit leaving the trans in the car but I am sure it is faster than dropping the subframe.
CaptainShanks likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 AM

Drives: Forte Koup SX
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher363 View Post
For future reference, it is not mandatory. Remove the left control arm and that gives you enough space to change the clutch. It is a tight fit leaving the trans in the car but I am sure it is faster than dropping the subframe.

okay, that's excellent info. how was the clearance? was it difficult to change with such tight tolerances?

also, i just pulled the engine/transaxle this past weekend. updates coming soon.

Call Me Captain!

post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShanks View Post
okay, that's excellent info. how was the clearance? was it difficult to change with such tight tolerances?

also, i just pulled the engine/transaxle this past weekend. updates coming soon.
On the horrible scale of 1-10, I would say a 6 or 7. Make sure you have help to load the flywheel and a torque wrench with a narrow head. I honestly cannot believe the engineers did not modify the subframe for dropping the transmission. It is awfully close but brake lines run right in that area so I couldn't get too rough. On a side note: You wouldn't happen to have seen how to correctly set the shifter cables? My gears are not correct.