Kia Forte Forum banner

Vague steering on my Forte5 SX Premium

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  s.f.c.hooligan 
#1 ·
After six months and 13,000 km. with my 2014 Forte5 SX Premium I'm generally happy as a pig in mud, but there is one minor problem. If anybody can help I'd appreciate it and my apologies if there's already a thread.

When driving straight and level, at a constant speed and throttle setting, at any of the three steering settings, the car just does not track straight . It will wander slightly to the left, then to the right, as it would if there wasn't enough caster in the front suspension. (I'm not saying that's the problem.)

The wander is worsened by the fact that there seems to be "stiction" in the steering at the dead-ahead position, so that corrections I make often end up being a bit too much.

As I said, this is a minor problem but it the constant corrections do get tiring on a long trip. Has anybody else noticed this problem? Does anybody know a solution?

#3 ·
I tend to agree..check the alignment before assuming anything else may be a issue/fix.

I will say though my first gen is very sensitive to road crown and rutting. That's what has been more of the issue than anything else in my case.

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll get the alignment checked at my next regular service, but I have to say that I noticed the wandering when my car was brand new, and also on a demo that I drove before buying mine. So if the alignment is off, it was off when shipped from the factory.

As for road crowns and ruts, I don't think they are the problem because the wandering is actually most noticeable when the road is perfectly smooth, flat and straight for miles. That describes the highway approaching my house from a neighbouring town, and that's when the wandering is worst.

On the other hand when I drive on bumpy, twisty roads with short straights I don't even notice the problem, That describes my favourite drive along the edge of Lake Erie, which I did this morning.

I believe my car has electric power steering (EPS)and I'm guessing that might just be the source of the wandering. Does anybody agree, and if so, does anybody know if EPS be adjusted or reprogrammed (?) to alleviate the problem?

#8 ·
Thanks for the interest folks. To summarize, the wander goes alternately left and right, is the same in all three steering modes and is most noticeable on dead-level, dead-smooth, and dead-straight roads at steady highway speeds and with still air. In other words we can rule out variations in throttle setting, road conditions or wind as causes of the wander.

This is the first of my forty-six cars to have electric steering and I'm becoming convinced that that is the culprit. But I welcome any other thoughts and of course, any suggested fixes. Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
Naw your probably correct. I had to get used to it as well. Mostly on turn in speed. The variable rate takes a moment to become second nature so to speak. But couple that with the other sensitivity issues and its a mess at first Lol. You will get used to it and forget most after a short while. I drove a work truck once in a while and to me it feels lazy and stiff now Lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.