Kia Forte Forum banner

Remote Start

24K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  sube 
#1 ·
Does anyone here have push button start with kia factory remote start as well?
I have been trying to use to factory smart key since I don't need to start the car from a mile away. The car turn on properly. My problem occurs after I get in and try to drive away.
I have the kia instruction booklets they gave me after the install, they say to unlock the car, get in, press on brake pedal and press the start button.
Now the second booklet says to keep my foot on the brake and press the start button again if I want to drive the car...
So already the two instruction booklets differ.

I tried both of these numerous times and the car just shuts off and I have to start it back up again. I haven't really tried using the extra kia fob they gave me since it is an extra fob to carry around.
I've also tried just putting it in gear and driving off, but the car becomes immobilized and I have to unlock the car all over again. Tried a whole bunch of things I won't write here since it will take forever.
Does anyone know how to do this properly without the car shutting off? I guess its not a big deal since the car will still warm up for me in the winter but it kind of sucks that I have to shut it down then start it back up for some stupid reason.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the remote start kit but my car is keyless ignition instead of the start engine fob. When I remote start my car I have to put it in the key if I want to drive or else if I brake and the key isn't in the ignition. The car will turn off. I'm not sure how it works for the fob but all I know is it will shut off if you press the brake. Try just pressing the start button since the car is already on.

#4 ·
I do not have the remote start package " where you can press a button on your fob from a distance and the car will remotely start" i was interested but i decided to save the $400.00 and use the stock method of starting which for me is simple. With the Fob in my pocket i sit in the car depress the Break pedal and depress the push to start button until the car starts usually this happens immediately. to be honest your description of the problem you are encountering is really unclear. could you possibly re-explain your issue, or maybe rephrase some of your sentences because i am having trouble making sense of your issue.

thanks!

#5 ·
I tried just pushing the start button, and it still turned off :(

I have push button start on the car.
I have remote start installed on the car.
I can start the car with the OEM smart key without a problem. (this one)

The problem I am having is after I get in the car.
When I get in the car it is on because I turned it on with the remote start. What I can't do is keep the car running. No matter what sequence I have done so far, the car ends up turning off. So I have to turn it back on with the smart key. Which is pretty annoying but not the end of the world.
So I was wondering if anyone has remote start and a smart key and how they turn their car on.

#6 ·
Have you tried pressing the start button without touching the brake. In My Mazda which admittedly does not have push button start, the sequence when getting in the car after remotely starting is to keep foot off brake put key in ignition and turn to on. If you touch the brake without turning the ignition on first the engine will stop.
Somehow I imagine the sequence should be the same for you, just get in car no brake hit the start button as if you were starting the car. Imagine the start button as the ignition key in a regular ignition start system.

Pat.

#7 ·
Ya I tried that too. I tried pressing it twice, 3 times, holding it...I am able to cycle from "STOP" to "ACC" and back, but it won't go to "START". I will try for a few more days then switch to the new FOB. If that still doesn't work I will contact dealership and ask them to show me. But I think they won't know ho since they didn't know how to even start it...

#8 ·
hmm.. this seems to be a problem in the immobilizer.. it should be just stepping on the brakes while the car is running and go..
it seems like it cant detect your smart key.. this happened when my smart key's battery was low..
though its in my sorento not the forte..

#12 ·
Not related but maybe,

I find with my push start, I can start car inside and get outside and close doors but will not allow me to lock it via remote.........so to warm up in winter = risking theft.

I can see and understand a non factory remote start causing your issue but not factory.

Have you taken back to dealership and have them verify its installed correctly?

#13 ·
No not yet, and I forgot to scan the instructions.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

When I start the car the doors are locked. They don't unlock unless I unlock them. And even if someone breaks in while the car is idling they wont get far since even I cant do anything with the smart key haha.

#15 ·
Did the OP ever get this problem resolved? I just picked up my new Forte5 SX last week. I got the remote start added and it is easy, unlock door, foot on brake, push start button and you are good to go.

Pat.

#16 ·
Does anyone here have push button start with kia factory remote start as well?
I have been trying to use to factory smart key since I don't need to start the car from a mile away. The car turn on properly. My problem occurs after I get in and try to drive away.
I have the kia instruction booklets they gave me after the install, they say to unlock the car, get in, press on brake pedal and press the start button.
Now the second booklet says to keep my foot on the brake and press the start button again if I want to drive the car...
So already the two instruction booklets differ.

I tried both of these numerous times and the car just shuts off and I have to start it back up again. I haven't really tried using the extra kia fob they gave me since it is an extra fob to carry around.
I've also tried just putting it in gear and driving off, but the car becomes immobilized and I have to unlock the car all over again. Tried a whole bunch of things I won't write here since it will take forever.
Does anyone know how to do this properly without the car shutting off? I guess its not a big deal since the car will still warm up for me in the winter but it kind of sucks that I have to shut it down then start it back up for some stupid reason.
I have found that mine will not cut off if I have my seat belt on first. Ever since I've done this, my remote starts will remain running.

#17 ·
Same issue

Hey guys, I just got my 2015 Forte SX and with the Remote starter, I can't get into the car and start to drive. I've tried the following:

1. Lock > Remote Start > Unlock on door > Step on brakes + Press Push Button Start. Cycles between ACC and Off. I have to wait, then press again to start the vehicle.

2. Lock > Remote Start > Unlock using Remote Start Key > Step on brakes + Push Button Start. Same issue.

3. Lock > Remote Start > Unlock on door > No brakes + Press Push Button Start...Same issue.

Anything I'm missing? I'm following the guidelines of opening the door and pressing the brakes and button within 3 seconds yet all that happens is that it turns off.

#18 ·
I know this is an old post. For all of you who may have issues with this system. In my 14 koup all you need to do is start it, get in and hit the break. It will then transfer power to your key fob then you drive away. Per my instruction in the car. If you are hitting the "start engine/off" button then you are telling the car to shut off. NOW if you get in hit the break and it shuts off... Warranty. When I got my car the wiring system was messed up from factory and was shorting out the brain of the car. Leading to a lot of issues. After taking the car in multiple times Kia finally figured out the issue. Replaced the brain of the car and my remote system. After this they fixed all wiring issues the factory did and I have had no such issues with my car from that day.

If the what I said does not work and the instructions do not work. Take it in under warranty if you are like me and it came with the car it is 550 bucks you have paid for extra. And it's something you need to have working since you have paid for it. Or demand that money back

#19 ·
On My car unlock the door foot on brake then hit start button. Good to go.

Pat.

#20 ·
This is crazy ...

With mine, I start it remotely, then all I have to do is unlock the door (either with my fob or the button on the door handle) and get in and hit the break. My stereo and everything "blinks" to let me know it has transferred control to me and then with the break in I can shift to D or R and roll out.

I do not have to hit the start button.

#21 ·
Depends I guess on the brand of remote mine is a genuine KIA and that's how it operates, no big deal, the one I had on my 2010 Mazda was a Mazda remote start and it operated exactly the same, after unlocking it was foot on the brake turn the key and good to go it wasn't a push button start but same sequence.

Pat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.