Type of Oil for Oil Change - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Default Type of Oil for Oil Change

Hey all,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find the answer. I tried doing a search, but apparently the word "oil" is not an acceptable search term, as it keeps excluding it.

What is the type of oil that is expected for this car? 5W-30? Synthetic or Conventional? I'm coming up on 10k for my second oil change. The first one was comp'ed by the dealership.

Please advise. If there is somewhere on this site that has all this information, then direct me there, please!

Cookie

Bring it back...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM

5W-20 is probably the recommended viscosity, but others might be acceptable and would be listed in your owner's manual. Synthetic isn't required, but I always recommend it for it's stability and resistance to thermal breakdown.

I use Mobil1 5W-30 in all my vehicles, and 15W-50 in my lawnmower. It's always performed well. Pennzoil Platinum is a good alternative, and up until recently was a few dollars cheaper at Walmart, but it's now priced identically to Mobil1 where I shop, so now I just close my eyes and point to one.

I highly recommend a Kia oil filter to avoid any of the pressure restriction issues some people have run into with the Forte and aftermarket filters.
#3 Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Garage

Don't forget the filter crush washer if doing it yourself.

2013 White EX Rio 5 MT
#4 Old 10-25-2011, 12:40 PM

The built-in search for most forum software is pretty lame, I'd advise you use a Google search instead, there is tons of stuff already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	search.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	6807  

2010 EX Sedan AT
#5 Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM

What is that, MFury?

Bring it back...

#6 Old 10-25-2011, 10:13 PM

Wanted to get the opinion of the forum while we were discussing oil changes. My dealership included free oil changes with the deal on the car. I know they use low grade, cheaper oil for these changes, so my question is this.

Is it worth having them do it every 5k for the free oil changes or should I go ahead and just do synthetic to help long term?
If question a is let them do the oil changes for free, then at what mileage would you guys suggest I switch over to synthetic?
#7 Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 AM

You can switch to synthetic any time. There are those who believe that switching to synthetic too early will cause an engine to never break in, or break in too slowly, but these same people offer no explanation about the list of cars that come from the factory with synthetic oil installed.

Switch on your first oil change, it won't hurt a thing.
#8 Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Garage

I researched synthetics when I first got my Koup thinking I'd switch over. What I found was that unless you have a high performance engine and are using that way you won't get any benefit from it. That came directly from one of the more popular oil manufacturers so it was surprising to me that they weren't trying to talk everyone into synthetic. I also thought that synthetics lasted longer but not according to that site. I'm sticking with standard oil and doing a change every 4000. Why waste money?

Silver 2010 Koup SX Auto
JKS® - Custom Style - Lighted Rear Spoiler
Rebadged with "K" badges
30% tint
Interior red striping
Turbokits CAI
VG Shark Fin antennae (black)
LED daytime running lights
Ultra Racing front tower bar
LED interior lighting system by LEDGlow
Ultra Racing rear anti-sway bar
Eibach Pro-kit Springs

Waiting to be installed: RRM Lightweight Pulley
#9 Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM

To have the dealer change the oil with what they use or to do it yourself with something else is 100% purely your choice. It is whatever makes you sleep better at night. It's like asking someone else if you should walk away from the craps table or let your bet ride. No one can know the outcome/what will happen.

Viscosity... use what the manufacture recommends... should be 5W-30.

As far as changing the oil... follow the manufacture's recommended oil change time frame (7500 miles). Changing it sooner certainly won't hurt. If your dealer will change it every 5000k miles, than this is fine.

I think MFury meant to say the crush washer on the _drain plug_... not the filter.
#10 Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyterner View Post
I'm sticking with standard oil and doing a change every 4000. Why waste money?
Why change it twice as often as the manufacture recommends? Isn't that a "waste of money"?

There is nothing wrong with using dino oil... nothing at all. But I think most people agree that the benefit synth gives is that the detergents break down more slowly then in dino oil. That is not to say that this will make one bit of difference.
#11 Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Garage

Stuck between car manufacturer's and oil manufacturer's suggestion for oil life. Not to mention I'm old so I'm used to the 3k oil life of the 70's. lol Changed the oil in my cavalier with conventional every 4k to 5k and put 191k on that car and it still ran great. I just don't see the need to pay 3 ot 4 times more for synthetic when conventional does its job.

Silver 2010 Koup SX Auto
JKS® - Custom Style - Lighted Rear Spoiler
Rebadged with "K" badges
30% tint
Interior red striping
Turbokits CAI
VG Shark Fin antennae (black)
LED daytime running lights
Ultra Racing front tower bar
LED interior lighting system by LEDGlow
Ultra Racing rear anti-sway bar
Eibach Pro-kit Springs

Waiting to be installed: RRM Lightweight Pulley
#12 Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyterner View Post
Stuck between car manufacturer's and oil manufacturer's suggestion for oil life. Not to mention I'm old so I'm used to the 3k oil life of the 70's. lol Changed the oil in my cavalier with conventional every 4k to 5k and put 191k on that car and it still ran great. I just don't see the need to pay 3 ot 4 times more for synthetic when conventional does its job.
Interesting. I did the same with my 96 cavalier, except every 7000 miles instead with regular oil. That engine was a beast, in fact, the whole car was. I took it to 170k miles and sold it when nothing was wrong with it. Just to get my dream car at the time... a GTO.

I'm changing every 5000 miles as it is easy to keep up with, and 85% of my driving is city. I hardly ever get on the highway (except for an exit or 2) to go a farther distance.

Bring it back...

#13 Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 AM

To maintain your warranty, always follow the car manufacturer's schedule. Even if an oil manufacturer says their oil will last 10,000 miles, if you suffer an engine failure, Kia won't cover it.
#14 Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to reggie2xtreme Send a message via MSN to reggie2xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to reggie2xtreme Send a message via Skype™ to reggie2xtreme

5w-20 or higher is ok no matter what oil
#15 Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess my question was more in line with former claims that synthetics were better for higher mileage engines, and at what point would "higher mileage" come into play. Is there any evidence it is better for higher mileage or am I being sucked into a marketing ploy?