Kia Forte Forum banner

Burnt out HID headlight question

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Takashi 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Kia Forte SX, and yesterday the passenger side HID headlight burnt out. The LED positioning lamp in the headlight assembly still works fine. I contacted a Kia dealer saying I had a burnt out headlight and they responded that I would need a HID bulb unit which they said costs $399.

The owners manual says the bulb type for the bulb that burnt out is a 25 Watt D8S type bulb. Can I not just get a new HID bulb to replace the HID bulb that burnt out, and how much should a stock OEM bulb cost?

Thanks.

#2 ·
400!!! Wow, that's no joke and seems very steep! I'd be more than happy to look into this for you and find an alternative solution (less pricey). I'll will recommend replacing both sides though, if you replace one they will be off in color due to the run time of the bulb (old one has been running for a longer time and will be a different color than the new bulb).

Shoot me an email as a reminder

paul@k5optimastore.com

#3 ·
#4 ·
Try switching the defective bulb out with the good bulb and see if it is the bulb or the igniter, or the ballast that is not working (NOTE: WEAR GLOVES and BE WARE OF ELECTRIC SHOCK!). If the bulb works, then it might be a bulb issue.

Realistically the HID should not die that early. I had a 2008 sedan (+160,000 km) car with original HID bulbs that is still working. It is not as bright as the new car but it still works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.