Cold air intake Questions. - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 56 Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Cold air intake Questions.

Hello

I just got my kia forte ex koup and i bought the cold air filter and put it on the factory plastic tube. I wanted to know if there was just the pipe that fits the 2010. My main concern was the small tube coming from the factory one and the extra block on that tube as well. Im pretty new to kias i came from a rotary so all these things are new to me lol I thought it would be fine to put the filter on the factory one but this morning i stalled and when i looked the filter had fallen off the tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 PM

Garage
Invest in a K&N, Injen, Takada, or Turbokits CAI.
post #3 of 56 Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Site Sponsor

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2007 Nissan 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgastorm View Post
Hello

I just got my kia forte ex koup and i bought the cold air filter and put it on the factory plastic tube. I wanted to know if there was just the pipe that fits the 2010. My main concern was the small tube coming from the factory one and the extra block on that tube as well. Im pretty new to kias i came from a rotary so all these things are new to me lol I thought it would be fine to put the filter on the factory one but this morning i stalled and when i looked the filter had fallen off the tube.
This is the exact problem with cone filters on stock piping. The rubber tubing isnt designed to hold that amount of weight. The intake systems out there that we sell comes as a kit and the cone filter can not be parted out.

What size engine do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

|
|
|
|

- NOW OPEN!

post #4 of 56 Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@K5OptimaStore View Post
This is the exact problem with cone filters on stock piping. The rubber tubing isnt designed to hold that amount of weight. The intake systems out there that we sell comes as a kit and the cone filter can not be parted out.

What size engine do you have?

I have the 2.0 L the ex model
post #5 of 56 Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Site Sponsor

This is a great option:
http://www.k5optimastore.com/collect...-intake-system

|
|
|
|
|

|
|
|
|

- NOW OPEN!

post #6 of 56 Old 07-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Site Sponsor

Check our our CAIs, FREE Shipping special going on right now too

http://www.turbokits.com/Kia/Forte/Intakes/

TurboKits.com Sales Team
Boost Your Horsepower
860-676-2929

post #7 of 56 Old 07-30-2016, 03:27 PM

With an open filter in the stock air box position you will only suck up hot air from the engine bay. Hot air= less power. Your factory air box likely out performs the new filter. Turbokits.com, dc sports(ebay), takeda and ingen all make true cold air intakes for the forte and the better option if you are trying to make power. Short ram intakes like the K&N and the short ram made by ingen will only suck up hot air from the engine bay like the cone filter in the factory air box position.

Red 2010 Koup SX MTX
TK Black Label CAI
ARK Test-pipe
ARK Cat-back Exhaust
Street Car Fab Front Poly Mount
(because both mounts was just too rough)
Megan Racing Springs
Kia Short Shifter/Delrin Cable Bushings/Metal Base Bushings
Koup center caps
H11B to H11 Bulb Conversion
post #8 of 56 Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwkoup13 View Post
Short ram intakes like the K&N and the short ram made by ingen will only suck up hot air from the engine bay like the cone filter in the factory air box position.
If one sits still with their engine idling then engine bay heat could be a problem. While driving the amount of air coming through the radiator, air coming in through the factory intake, and the air from under the car keeps the incoming air cool. The difference IS NEGLIGIBLE on a Dyno and EXTREMELY difficult to prove. With the K&N CAI intake installed air is STILL brought in through the cold air intake at the top of the radiator so your assumption is FALSE!

Last edited by ForteSX2.4; 07-30-2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spell check
post #9 of 56 Old 07-30-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteSX2.4 View Post
If one sits still with their engine idling then engine bay heat could be a problem. While driving the amount of air coming through the radiator, air coming in through the factory intake, and the air from under the car keeps the incoming air cool. The difference IS NEGLIGIBLE on a Dyno and EXTREMELY difficult to prove. With the K&N CAI intake installed air is STILL brought in through the cold air intake at the top of the radiator so your assumption is FALSE!
Actually air is not forced into the factory scoop above the radiator. Air is blocked from passing under the hood to the scoop by a rubber seal, look at the underside of your hood. Air has to be SUCKED through the small vents in the top of the grill to enter the factory scoop. Without it being a closed system there is no vacuum to suck cool air up through the vents of the grill, which is the case when you place an open cone filter on the stock tubing or use a short ram intake. So without vacuum to suck air through that scoop it has no function. The placement of an open filter or the short rams like the K&N are in one of the worst possible places in the engine bay; they are high up, right next to the header and near the back of the compartment. Heat rises and the only way you would get enough air to actually provide even relatively cool air in that position is if you road with the hood off. It's fact that cooler air makes more power than warm air so their is no debate that whether a true cold air intake will make more power than a short ram intake that's sucking up hot air from the engine bay. Don't waste your money on a short ram. No reason to pay to make less power.

Red 2010 Koup SX MTX
TK Black Label CAI
ARK Test-pipe
ARK Cat-back Exhaust
Megan Racing Springs
Koup center caps
post #10 of 56 Old 07-30-2016, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
So without vacuum to suck air through that scoop it has no function. The placement of an open filter or the short rams like the K&N are in one of the worst possible places in the engine bay; they are high up, right next to the header and near the back of the compartment. Heat rises and the only way you would get enough air to actually provide even relatively cool air in that position is if you road with the hood off. It's fact that cooler air makes more power than warm air so their is no debate that whether a true cold air intake will make more power than a short ram intake that's sucking up hot air from the engine bay. Don't waste your money on a short ram. No reason to pay to make less power.
LMAO! At 60 MPH you think the factory ducting has to SUCK in air? Ever hear of air pressure? You're also totally disregarding the FACT that air comes into the engine compartment while driving and the air temperature IS NOT HOT under the hood. This has been proven too many times. The K&N intake uses a heat shield as well to block out the engine bay air. FACT is side by side NEITHER CAI will make the car faster then the other. ALL aftermarket CAIs work EQUALLY well. Please stop with the over-inflated hogwash.
post #11 of 56 Old 07-30-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
LMAO! At 60 MPH you think the factory ducting has to SUCK in air? Ever hear of air pressure? You're also totally disregarding the FACT that air comes into the engine compartment while driving and the air temperature IS NOT HOT under the hood. This has been proven too many times. The K&N intake uses a heat shield as well to block out the engine bay air. FACT is side by side NEITHER CAI will make the car faster then the other. ALL aftermarket CAIs work EQUALLY well. Please stop with the over-inflated hogwash.
The heat shield for the K&N doesn't completely surround or block the filter; hot air simply goes around it. If the air passing through the radiator and from under the car was effective enough to cool the heat coming from a couple of hundred degree engine then no car manufacturer would even waste time routing there intakes systems to the front of the compartment or even waste time making heat shields for the exhaust manifold. You've seriously underestimated the heat an engine produces and seriously overestimated the cooling effect of the air that makes its way into the engine bay. Your logic makes 0 sense. Also the rubber seal on the underside of the hood would have absolutely no use if 'air pressure' is all that was need to get past it, that's seal isn't letting anything by. You have no argument that can't be proven false. Stop trying to influence other decent members to waste their money using misinformed and exaggerated opinions.

Red 2010 Koup SX MTX
TK Black Label CAI
ARK Test-pipe
ARK Cat-back Exhaust
Megan Racing Springs
Koup center caps
post #12 of 56 Old 07-30-2016, 06:45 PM

Gilgastorm I'm also in fortes united and koup squad on facebook if you'd like to get honest and accurate answers.

Red 2010 Koup SX MTX
TK Black Label CAI
ARK Test-pipe
ARK Cat-back Exhaust
Megan Racing Springs
Koup center caps
post #13 of 56 Old 07-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I've had the same argument with him. Honestly I think some real-time data is in order instead of arguing about an intake and why "in theory" it works or doesn't

Quote:
Gilgastorm I'm also in fortes united and koup squad on facebook if you'd like to get honest and accurate answers.
It would be nice to see some data to back your accurate answers

|
|
|
|
|

|
|
|
|

- NOW OPEN!

post #14 of 56 Old 07-31-2016, 06:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@K5OptimaStore View Post
I've had the same argument with him. Honestly I think some real-time data is in order instead of arguing about an intake and why "in theory" it works or doesn't
Arguing with an "armchair engineer" is like talking to a brick wall.
Paul@K5OptimaStore likes this.
post #15 of 56 Old 07-31-2016, 09:25 PM

I have nothing left to say to either one of you. You've both tried to make the same bogus arguments that never hold up. Anybody with even a basic knowledge of mechanics, physics or even common sense can tell what's inaccurate in this thread. Instead of education inch yourself you continue to make the same foolish statements and only spew insults rather than actually providing any legitimate info on your opinion. This is a classic example of a business completely ignoring information and using fictitious info to sell a bogus product just for profit.