Tranny Dipstick? - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 PM

Default Tranny Dipstick?

I know this is going to sound like a very stupid question and trust me I know a little bit more about cars than this question lets on. I have 2011 Kia Forte EX which I just bought used and was doing a "once over" on the car to make sure it was not neglected. I went to check the tranny fluid and I can't for the life of me find it? Where is the dipstick located on this car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM

There isn't one.
#3 Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM

Garage

Hey, no worries. No dipstick on the 2011 and up Forte's

2011 SX Lux
R Pkg | Eibach's | 6spd Paddleshift | 20% Tint | K&N Intake | 18" ACE V12 | Falken FK-452 tires | UR Bar's | OBX pulley |
#4 Old 03-04-2012, 01:53 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GraveSideTears

Wtf? It's behind the engine lol

2011 Silver Koup A/T
Thottle Mod, DRL Fog Light Mod, Custom K&N Apollo Intake, Eibach Pro-Kit, Debadged with "K" Emblems all around, Airrock Eyelids, Tinted Windows, Diode Dynamics LED Stage 3 (Red Dome, Red Trunk), LED Fogs, 12" Rockford T1 running on a GM-D9601 pushing 1250rms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodile View Post
So i raced a prius today, i had it for the first 200ft, but i could only walk so fast

#5 Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 PM

Grave:
If you're sure about that, I'll look again.

Also, I'm not saying any of you guys are wrong, but why would a car not have a dipstick for the transmission. Because I have found that the transmission fluid needs to be change based on the looks of fluid and not on some predetermined interval set by the mfg, which could be too long or too short depending on how/where your drive.
#6 Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnetzky View Post
Grave:
If you're sure about that, I'll look again.
I think he was joking.. referring to the driver.

Quote:
Also, I'm not saying any of you guys are wrong, but why would a car not have a dipstick for the transmission. Because I have found that the transmission fluid needs to be change based on the looks of fluid and not on some predetermined interval set by the mfg, which could be too long or too short depending on how/where your drive.
There is no dipstick. It's completely sealed.
#7 Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 PM

Garage

Grave was saying: dipstick = driver

Kopperhead 2010 Forte Koup SX A/T
Dual Projectors with LED Halos
VG Sharkfin Antenna
Hella Supertones
Custom Dual Exhaust
DDM 6000K 35W Lows and Highs.
TB Performance Stage 1
Turbokits CAI
Road Race Motorsports Carbon Fiber Grill & Front Strut Bar
#8 Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GraveSideTears

Actually I was referring to the dipstick. The engine oil is the yellow one and I also have one behind the motor. I don't quite know what it is for but I'm positive it's for the tranny lol.

***EDIT*** I am wrong though lol http://kia-buzz.com/?p=1202 read last paragraph.

2011 Silver Koup A/T
Thottle Mod, DRL Fog Light Mod, Custom K&N Apollo Intake, Eibach Pro-Kit, Debadged with "K" Emblems all around, Airrock Eyelids, Tinted Windows, Diode Dynamics LED Stage 3 (Red Dome, Red Trunk), LED Fogs, 12" Rockford T1 running on a GM-D9601 pushing 1250rms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodile View Post
So i raced a prius today, i had it for the first 200ft, but i could only walk so fast

Last edited by GraveSideTears; 03-05-2012 at 02:57 AM.
#9 Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM

Newer BMW's don't even have a dipstick for engine oil and haven't for years. Car makers don't want you playing around with their cars. Trust them, everything will be just fine. You will just need to buy a new car very five years when the transmission craps out.

2011 Forte SX 5 door with 6 speed manual
2007 VW Eos 2.0T with 6 speed manual
#10 Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 PM

Do you mean that you can't even change the fluid in these transmission because its a sealed unit?

I really don't understand this decision made by Kia to do away with the transmission dipstick??? How are we supposed to know when to change the fluid? Based on some idiot with a corner office saying the fluid should be changed every x miles? By than the tranny could be heading south for a long winter!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
There is no dipstick. It's completely sealed.
#11 Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 AM

Garage

If it doesnt have a dipstick then it is not a tranny at all.....
#12 Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 AM

Garage

Quote:
Do you mean that you can't even change the fluid in these transmission because its a sealed unit?

I really don't understand this decision made by Kia to do away with the transmission dipstick??? How are we supposed to know when to change the fluid? Based on some idiot with a corner office saying the fluid should be changed every x miles? By than the tranny could be heading south for a long winter!!!

No you cannot service a sealed transmission. This is pretty industry standard these days, to service you must use a fluid exchange machine that connects via the cooler lines.
#13 Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM

Transmission isn't sealed...

But, since they define their ATF as a "lifetime fluid", there's no easy dipstick to check. Only 1 drain and 1 fill plugs.

In my own opinion, lifetime fluid is right... but they mean the life of the transmission itself, and as long as it's warranty + 1 day (or mile), it's fine with them.

Check on kiatechinfo.com, the procedure is documented. (but not easy for the novice)
#14 Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 AM

That's a new one! Lifetime Fluid! LOL! I have never seen transmission fluid last a lifetime even if their definition is only 100k.
#15 Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Garage

Quote:

I dout it was an "idiot" in a corner office but the certified and highly educated engineers they have that decided this. At any rate, the kiatechinfo does not show a service intervall for my 2010, but it is changable, so just keep and eye on it and from what I hear from good sources, when it stops looking redish change it.

Troll Bait & Bisc Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoAWD View Post
Forum users are generally idiots.