Temp Gauge? - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 PM

Default Temp Gauge?

Hey guys,

So i drove my first EX today and noticed it had no temp guage. I know it has the warning light but seriously....a temp gauge is kind of handy to have. I like knowing when my car is "warm" after starting it in -35 weather.

I mean, the way i look at it, for the $2000 extra for the SX I get piece of mind knowing what temp my engine is and that it's not going to over-heat. After-all, when that temp warning light comes on, it might be too late. At least with a gauge I can see my engine getting hot and limp it to a garage to get stuff checked out. With just a warning light....nope, pulling over right away.

Has anyone added a gauge to their EX?

The SX has the gauage built into the trip computer, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 PM

The SX does have the temp guage and lots of other goodies too.
#3 Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to KoUpKiD905

ya the trip computer has multiple features that you can scroll through on teh screen in the SX.. shitty deal man, I completely get what you're saying the ... engine tempature is kinda one of those things that is prettttty important lol...

K o U p K i D 905
#4 Old 07-29-2010, 03:16 AM

Garage

What i want to know is if my SX trip screen will alert me if my car is overheating. I leave it on Mpg so im rarely looking at my temp.

2010 Forte SX Black Sedan - 2.4 Automatic
Leather Package with Heated Seats, Sunroof, Homelink Mirror

Tint
Map & Trunk Lamps-Red LEDs
Dome & Licence plate lamps-Hyperwhite LEDs
Fog and lows -35W 6,000k DDM HIDs
Subs - Polk Audio db1222 (2x 12's)
Amp - Hifonics Hfi1000d
Painted Black Calipers
Rims - Konig Unknowns Single Drill (17x8)
Darth Vader Emblems & Automatic Shifter
Touch Screen Dash Mounted Monitor to Carputer
Misc- Retractable Bic Lighter, Backseat Organizer
TurboKits Black Label CAI
#5 Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rpps

I had a Forte EX sedan and it use to worry me not having a Temp gauge. Now I have a Koup and it has one it's a part of the trip computer set-up, I hardly ever look at it in fact I have it set-up to show kl per Litre. It's funny, I guess it's human nature when I didn't have it on the EX I wanted badly.
#6 Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM

The temperature gauge and a oil pressure gauge should be mandatory and in plain site.
#7 Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Does anyone know of any aftermarket temp gauges? Saying that...i have no idea where i'd put it. I dont want to ruin the look of the interior....if only i was in the U.S. and could get an SX w/o leather and sunroof.
#8 Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Garage

Maybe they were targeting women with this car. I know in my moms 98 Grand Am there was one but it didn't stop my mom from continuing to drive it while it was overheating.

I kinda think the gage in the SX is useless. It's just a relative gauge since it has no numbers.
#9 Old 07-30-2010, 01:58 AM

I would really like to know if someone has found an after market temp gauge as well. I was driving along in traffic today and I don't like not knowing....
#10 Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebore View Post
Maybe they were targeting women with this car. I know in my moms 98 Grand Am there was one but it didn't stop my mom from continuing to drive it while it was overheating.

I kinda think the gage in the SX is useless. It's just a relative gauge since it has no numbers.
I am a woman and the first thing I noticed in my new EX is that there was no temp gauge. I was pretty disappointed because that's the best way to know when the car gets warmer in -30 degree and you can put the heat on.

Just so you know we women are not all the same when cars are concerned...
#11 Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 PM

Garage

I'm sure you can wire in an aftermarket temp gauge if you wanted...Autometer or Megan Racing have some nice gauges that usually come with a sender so you can tap into you cooling system with a sender

"Keep em' lookin, leave em' guessin!"
2010 Koup SX MT
#12 Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopueWithA"K" View Post
I'm sure you can wire in an aftermarket temp gauge if you wanted...Autometer or Megan Racing have some nice gauges that usually come with a sender so you can tap into you cooling system with a sender
I've looked at them, but i dont want to ruin the interior of my new car. The gauges are nice, but they're still not meant to be there and i think it'd just look stupid. Now if i could get an SX trip computer on an ex....that would be ideal.
#13 Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 PM

so i just got off the phone with my dealer. I'm going to go in and talk pricing on a sedan sx tonight. I told him i couldn't put money on a car without a temp gauge. He said the SX only had an external temp gauge, not an internal one. Any of you guys with an SX, preferably in canada, know of this for sure? Unfortunately they don't have any SX's at my local dealership that i can look at so i wouldn't be able to know for sure.
#14 Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Um 'external'? So does he think it just sits on the engine, and not actually 'in it'? Whatever... facts are facts and the fact is it's a wet-type coolant sensor built into the thermostat housing in ANY Kia.

Bear in mind that a LOSS of coolant renders the gauge completely useless, as they do not read dry/air temp. You will read normal and your engine will be melting down.
#15 Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiaTech View Post
Um 'external'? So does he think it just sits on the engine, and not actually 'in it'? Whatever... facts are facts and the fact is it's a wet-type coolant sensor built into the thermostat housing in ANY Kia.

Bear in mind that a LOSS of coolant renders the gauge completely useless, as they do not read dry/air temp. You will read normal and your engine will be melting down.
He meant an external temp gauge to measure external air temperature. I love the forte, but i don't know if i can afford an SX, and I can't, in all good conscious, buy an EX when it doesn't have a gauge. Hopefully they'll work with me on pricing

Last edited by jarret_g; 08-04-2010 at 03:20 PM.