Caliper bracket bolts - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Caliper bracket bolts

2012 forte koup. Need to replace front and rear caliper bracket bolts. Everwhere I look, including dormans part finder site, only list the available bolt for the front caliper bracket. Is the front and back the same size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 06:04 PM

Drives: KIA SOUL SX LUXURY
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancunderwood View Post
2012 forte koup. Need to replace front and rear caliper bracket bolts. Everwhere I look, including dormans part finder site, only list the available bolt for the front caliper bracket. Is the front and back the same size?

Why do you need to replace these? they usually last the life of the car. I have replaced many things on cars over many years but never the bracket bolts.

Pat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 SOULSX LUXURY
emblems.

Clear bra on bumper whole hood headlamps mirrors.
VG Garage sharkfin antenna

License plate lighting LED
Genuine Kia door visors
K5 engine dress up bolts plastic components painted to match
G2 Painted calipers with Soul decals
18x8 Enkie Lusso Wheels
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Tires
OEM Spoiler
OEM Side skirts
Broken K emblems
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 06:08 PM

Drives: 2010 Koup SX
I've had to replace caliper bracket bolts before, they were rusted/stripped and would no longer tighten.

Have you checked the dealer or even a junkyard?

The front caliper is bigger than the rear, I don't think they're fit, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sube View Post
Quote:

Why do you need to replace these? they usually last the life of the car. I have replaced many things on cars over many years but never the bracket bolts.

Pat.
Two of them are stripped and right now I have them in without the washer, the only way I could get them to tighten.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Two of them are stripped and right now I have them in without the washer, the only way I could get them to tighten.
I've only replaced the front rotors in my sedan so far, but I believe the bolts are the same front and back. Are you certain it's just stripped bolt threads and the caliper mounting bracket hole threads are ok? You could confirm that by buying M12 1.25 pitch bolts at your local hardware store and check if they pull tight with the lock washer in place (using spacers to take up the bolt head slack). And you could also buy grade 8 bolts in the above spec, and cut them to the exact size with a Dremel cut-off wheel, and use them to replace the stripped factory bolts. Torque spec for those bolts is 70 ft-lbs max, and I didn't have any issues on mine using that amount of torque.

2011 SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 130K
post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaguy007 View Post
Quote:
I've only replaced the front rotors in my sedan so far, but I believe the bolts are the same front and back. Are you certain it's just stripped bolt threads and the caliper mounting bracket hole threads are ok? You could confirm that by buying M12 1.25 pitch bolts at your local hardware store and check if they pull tight with the lock washer in place (using spacers to take up the bolt head slack). And you could also buy grade 8 bolts in the above spec, and cut them to the exact size with a Dremel cut-off wheel, and use them to replace the stripped factory bolts. Torque spec for those bolts is 70 ft-lbs max, and I didn't have any issues on mine using that amount of torque.
They were stripped when I removed them and didn't have a chance to tighten them down. The only ones like this are bottom bolt on each rear bracket. I did 70lbs on all others with no problem. It actually may have been your old post I came across to find torque specs.

I found replacements at oreillys but storms today and tomorrow aren't going to give me a chance to do the work...replacing all the calipers too.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
They were stripped when I removed them and didn't have a chance to tighten them down. The only ones like this are bottom bolt on each rear bracket. ....
Probably the result of somebody using an impact gun, because it would take a gorilla to strip them out using a socket or regular wrench.

Quote:
...replacing all the calipers too.
So are the pistons frozen in place, or is there some other reason you need to replace them?

post #8 of 8 Old Today, 12:47 PM

Although the OP has probably is already finished with this job and moved on, I'm posting an update with correct information, in case anyone else intends to make use of this in the future. I just finished replacing my 2011 Forte sedan rotors, and found out that the caliper mounting bracket bolts are not the same as the front bolts. The rear bolts are smaller than the M12 front ones - probably M10 1.25 pitch (however I was not able to confirm that). Also, the top bolt is longer than the bottom bolt by around 1/4", required for passing through an extra flange. And the torque spec for the smaller rear bolts is 55 ft-lbs max, and not the 70 ft-lb max spec for the front bolts.