Adding sound deadening to a 2014 Forte5 - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By carl_2112

post #1 of 3 Old 04-06-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2014 Kia Forte5, 1996 Nissan 300zx twin turbo
Garage
Adding sound deadening to a 2014 Forte5

I finally got around to doing something I've wanted to do for years, adding sound deadening to my car. As y'all know, there is quite a bit of road noise that enters our cars. When I'm alone I tend to just crank up the music, but when driving with others, especially at higher speeds like on our 80mph toll roads, the road noise gets to be quite annoying.

Before you undertake this project, know the following:

1) your hands will hurt for days
2) your back will hurt
3) your loved ones, friends, co-workers and neighbors will confirm what they've long known: you're crazy
4) your hands will hurt for days

I used Noico Black 80 mil butyl and foil sound deadening material, approximately 90 sq ft. At 0.7lb/sq ft this added about 63 lb of weight to the car, much less than just having a passenger. I am ok with this added weight for the benefit this produced, but not everyone will want to add weight to their car.

The process to do this is not difficult, just time consuming. I consulted the FSM before removing panels to make sure I knew where all of the various clips, screws and bolts were. Don't just start prying at panels.

For each section, I removed the panel/carpet and then using a sharp blade cut sections of the material and trimmed them to fit. Once I was happy with how the piece fit, I removed the backing and pressed the material into place, making sure to fit all the curves, nooks and crannies. I also cut out holes needed for any clips, bolts or screws. And I cut out holes for routing wires. I didn't want to cover anything that could be needed access to in the future. I used a metal roller for any flat sections, but you have to use your fingers to get the material into non-flat and smaller areas. This is why your hands will hurt like hell after doing this for hours.

I started with the inside of the hatch door since this was a small area. I forgot to take a before picture, but here is how it looks after adding the material:

Next I removed everything from the hatch area and did the entire area, all the way up both sides and the entire floor.

Here's after getting the left side done:

And this is after getting the floor finished (I forgot to take an overview shot of the entire hatch area):

Next I moved to the doors. Here is the rear left door, before and after:

I actually added more material to the top section of the door as you can see in the rear right door:

Here is the front left door, before and after:

For the interior floor I started with the rear first. I didn't remove the carpet from the car. Instead I just folded the rear portion forward and did that area. Then I put it back in place and folded the front sections backwards to do them.

Here's the rear before and after:

Here is the front left section:

Here is the front right section:

And here is the carpet back in place, all nice and clean:

I spent time cleaning every panel I had removed as well since I figured I wouldn't have a chance to do this level of cleaning for a long time (nor do I want to!).

The entire process took about 10 hours spread out over 2 days.

So how well does it work?

My first test drive was just a few blocks in my neighborhood, but even on that short drive I could easily tell there was a big improvement. I've now driven for a week including at highway and toll road speeds. The improvement is really nice. There is so much less road noise in the car now. I wish I had taken SPL measurements before and after at various speeds to get an objective measurement of the improvement, but subjectively this was totally worth it.
Forte5GT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-07-2019, 12:06 AM

Very nice. I am in the process of doing my 2019 right now.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 AM
PLP
Super Moderator

Drives: 2016 KIA Forte5 SX A/T
Wow, I agree on the number 3.
But I have been there once, I have done things like that, too.

I wonder if there is a way to say what exactly (number wise) was accomplished.

A while ago I added sound deadening to 2007 KIA Rondo. Honestly, I did not see any significant improvement.
But I might revisit it for my EV.

Drives:
2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers)
2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for my wife)