Engine Stumbling - misfiring - Page 3 - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 PM

Kia Forte Investigation

The law firm of Migliaccio & Rathod LLP currently has an open investigation into the knocking noise found in certain Kia and Hyundai engines. If you would like to learn more about this investigation, please Google "Migliaccio & Rathod Kia" and you'll find their information on their blog. I am unfortunately unable to share the link on this post.

The firm's contact information is found in the link, but I'll write it here for your convenience.
Phone: (202) 470-3520
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 03-08-2018, 11:51 AM
PLP
Super Moderator

Drives: 2016 KIA Forte5 SX A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigRath View Post
The law firm of Migliaccio & Rathod LLP currently has an open investigation into the knocking noise found in certain Kia and Hyundai engines. If you would like to learn more about this investigation, please Google "Migliaccio & Rathod Kia" and you'll find their information on their blog. I am unfortunately unable to share the link on this post.

The firm's contact information is found in the link, but I'll write it here for your convenience.
Phone: (202) 470-3520
Dear J. Rathod,
I am not sure which exactly engine you are investigating, but 1.6T is not shared across the models listed at your site. Elantra just got it now (2018), Sonata Eco had 1.6T, rest are 2.4 or 2.0T, Fortes are 1.6T, 1.8, 2.0, and others include 2.4 as well.
  • Hyundai Elantra
  • Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Hyundai Sonata
  • Kia Forte
  • Kia Optima
  • Kia Sorrento
  • Kia Sportage
So it would be nice to be more specific what you are looking into and what exact engines are the scope of your investigation.
post #33 of 37 Old 02-05-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Drives: Forte5
Bump, issue still on going, if not getting worse. Trying another round at the stealership to see if they actually want to fix something under warranty, or if all those posters on the walls are just for show.

Whole bunch of fun stuff lately, same stumbling on cold starts sometimes, but now it'll stall after running for ~45 seconds sometimes as well. seems worse when it's been plugged in. Watching what i can see on torque over obd2, the vacuum plummets when it's stumbling, not sure if that's the cause or the result. the throttle goes up to around 50% during this as well, and if anything causes it to stumble even more. It's held around 300 rmp for a good 10 seconds before stalling even just this morning.

Had it on the highway last week, sounds like the BPV isn't opening between shifts, makes a muffled groan like a baloon deflating more than a PSSHH. felt like it was lugging as well, like if you floored it in gear at 700 rpm, it'll moan and vibrate... but it was at ~2500 rpm.

had a few instances of something that felt like wheel hop, but barely on the throttle, just crawling in traffic. happens intermittently, and only ever low speed clutch engagement, givin' er a bit off the line doesn't cause this.

also had a few times under traffic crawl acceleration things are normal, but when a path opens up and i give it just normal amounts of throttle, it slowed down.

Been cold lately, i'm sure some of this is attributed to that, or at least exasperated by it, but it's still running pretty badly.

stealership thursday, i'd imagine more shrugged shoulders and nothing being done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 02-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Since you mentioned your BOV, I just had to replace mine. I had a CEL and when I took off the BOV, it had a tear in it. I replaced it, but still had the same problem of the CEL and I could hear the BOV fluttering when I shifted. I have a new RCV solenoid valve arriving today and I'll install that, which I hope solves my problem. The big difference between your problem and mine is that my car runs fantastic, better than ever at 96k miles.

2015 Forte SX 5 door with 6 speed manual
2016 Audi A4 Quattro with 6 speed manual
2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster with 6 speed manual
post #35 of 37 Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 AM
PLP
Super Moderator

Drives: 2016 KIA Forte5 SX A/T
Actually cold makes my car even more aggressive.

I feel like we should go back to the basics.
Start with fuel flow, coils, and spark plugs.
Then all vacuum lines, BOV, turbo pipes (clamps, tears...).

Also, I would actually invest in a mechanical vacuum/boost gauge. It is much faster in response and shows ACTUAL values, not processed by ECU.
Something like that.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That may actually help a lot.

For the logs - boost requested vs provided, same for air/fuel ratio. We are missing something here and I bet it is a simple thing.

A long time ago I had a car that was missing under light throttle. It would idle OK, it would go fine WOT, but light steady throttle would miss and jerk.
Spent several days in the shop, took to another one where some great computer guys tested it. Nothing was wrong, yet everyone could feel the issue.
All checked out fine.

Until I finally took the book, went through all the setup, and sure enough - one stupid switch was intermittently working. It would miss ground from time to time and would cut off fuel.
It was a 1997 car with electronically controlled carburetor with cat converter. Not as complicated as 1.6T-GDI, but still.

The point is - had we gone through the very basics in the beginning, it would have been solved right away.

EDIT.
I was trying to think what the shop did.
Possible some grounds are missing or were disconnected and then put back on on the painted surface without cleaning off the paint?
The passenger side corner - there is not much of mechanical related to the turbo/fuel.
But are ground points.
Further down you have wastegate controls and vacuum lines.
post #36 of 37 Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Had a guy comment on a youtube vid of mine for this issue, said his 2015 SX had issues and for him it ended up being the evap canister.
post #37 of 37 Old 05-15-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, update time.

It was the plugs. they were a bit rusty above the threads, fairly sooty below. replaced all 4 with the same NGK plugs, fuel milage and power jammed right back up to what they should be. went from what i was getting around 350kms to a tank to easily passing 600, and again can't floor it in 2nd gear without breaking traction.

yet to be determined on the cold starts, since they only seem to stumble below -10c, and it hasn't been anywhere near that cold since i changed the plugs.
Walpole5 and PLP like this.