P2261 - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Walpole5
  • 2 Post By Walpole5

post #1 of 12 Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

P2261

A couple of days ago, my check engine light came on. It went off today, but I finally got around to reading the code and it's P2261 - Boost Pressure Control Valve. Is this the RCV (Recirculation Valve) that is discussed in the manual? It says it is used to control boost pressure. It looks like the BOV is located on top of the intercooler, but the manual doesn't mention it. It seems likely that the BOV is my culprit, since other people have complained about theirs and put in an aftermarket BOV. Does the OEM BOV come with the intercooler? Any help would be great.

2015 Forte SX 5 door with 6 speed manual
2016 Audi A4 Quattro with 6 speed manual
2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster with 6 speed manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-05-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

So, I checked the RCV per the manual and the resistance of the solenoid is within spec., so that's not it. I have finally found the part number for the OEM BOV and am considering ordering it. I can't see any other areas to check. The hoses look good from what I can see. One change with the car is a rattle noise at higher rpm's, especially in 1st gear. It's fairly recent and sounds like it's coming from the engine area. I've read that you can hear a rattle with failing BOV's.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-05-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Ordered a new BOV. It is $60, so if it is not the problem, it's not a big investment. The only other component that I can see would be a problem is the boost pressure sensor. Based on posts in the ForteTurbo, the BOV fails frequently and I didn't read about any of the other components failing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 AM
PLP
Super Moderator

Drives: 2016 KIA Forte5 SX A/T
But isn't it for boost pressure being too high, meaning not releasing boost on time?
Issues with BOV are rather ruptured membrane what means, boost too weak.

I had this quite often on my 2015 MT SX. On the AUTO - for the 2 years we are together and over 20k miles - never appeared.
I suspected spark plugs at that time as after having the CEL I would have limited power... and it would happen mainly on hot days.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-07-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm still not sure if it's the BOV. It's computer controlled and uses vacuum to open, at least from what I understand. So, it the vacuum can't open it, because of failing diaphragm, you get higher boost? Anyway, today the car seems fine. The rattle is gone and it's running great. I may hold off installing the BOV until I see how things go in the next few days.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-07-2019, 03:52 PM
PLP
Super Moderator

You got 18 psi (I think that is maximum stock boost) in the intercooler.
It does not take much of a force to release the boost, that is any vacuum will do it.

The question is - Is the Manifold Pressure readback correct?
Having said that I would check on the MAP sensor. Maybe it is dirty or is having bad contacts.

I know that mine is ruptured a bit and it runs fine. I think it is slow on boost buildup at low speeds, but I am not keen to replace it yet. Just too much effort.

I am trying to remember how exactly the system works. I think there is a spring that holds the valve closed.
But on the other hand I have somewhere in my head that there is a pressure difference... and once you let off the gas, the pressure difference will pull the valve open.
I need to read on it again.

I wish this site had 1.6T included.
http://www.kifomanual.com/second_gen...4_year_-2.html
post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

From what I have read, the older turbo systems had a mechanical BOV that would open at a certain pressure. Newer cars have the BOV electronically controlled. My car runs great, in fact, better than it ever has. I'm wondering if the BOV is allowing more boost than it has in the past. The valve looks pretty easy to replace, just remove the fresh air duct to the air filter box and it's right there. Because of the low cost of the part and the ease of replacement, I think I'll just change it out and hopefully forget it about it.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 AM
PLP
Super Moderator

I think I had to remove the intercooler to get to BOV. Unless you are referring to the solenoid that is next to it on the side of IC (BOV is mounted on the top of IC).

I will not argue how exactly the system works, as I am not 100% certain. For sure there is a spring over inside the BOV.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

I found out that I won't be receiving the BOV for about a week. At this point, I'm going to wait for a nice, warm day to do it, since the car is running excellent. That way if I have to take out the intercooler at least I won't be freezing when I do it.
PLP likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-21-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I received the BOV and there isn't much to it. Metal housing, spring loaded rubber diaphragm and a vacuum hose connection. I haven't put it in yet, since the car is running great and the check engine light hasn't come back on. At this rate, I'll wait until spring to install it.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-29-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

The check engine light came back on. I decided to replace the BOV today. It wasn't hard. I removed the air cleaner box and had to pull up the plastic piece in front of the top radiator support to get to one of the bolts. The BOV rubber diaphragm had a tear, so I was right to replace it. I took it for a drive and it runs just the same (great), but I'm still getting a "whoosh" noise when I let of the gas to shift. It just started doing this a couple of days ago and I assumed it was the BOV. Now I'm concerned there is something else going on, which would be strange to have 2 parts fail at the same time. Any ideas out there?

post #12 of 12 Old 02-06-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I received the RCV solenoid valve today. It came with new hoses and clamps, which is very nice. I installed it, which isn't too hard, getting the vacuum hoses off and back on was the toughest part. I cleared the code and took it for a spin.

Problem solved! No more BOV fluttering or CEL. I drove it for about a 1/2 hour and checked for pending codes when I got home, but there were none. I'm wondering if the BOV and RCV often fail together. If someone else runs into this problem, I would suggest replacing both. It's about $150 for both parts and since they are close together, the extra labor is minimal.
carl_2112 and PLP like this.