2014 forte koup tune - Kia Forte Forum : Sedan / Koup / Forte5 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

2014 forte koup tune

im looking for a tune or a chip on my forte koup sx 2014 but where i live no one works on kia or know how, but since the veloster turbo has some of the same parts can i go see a hyundai tuner to see if they can help out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

also is this worth it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190420-184327_Chrome_1555800244938.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	69450  
post #3 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 09:34 AM
PLP
Super Moderator

Drives: 2016 KIA Forte5 SX A/T
Define what "worth it" means for you.

For NA engines - most of the time there is a little gain. Some power bump, some torque bump.
For Turbo'ed engines - most cases result in quite significant improvement.

From all mods - tune is the best return on the investment, that is say CAI may add 5 HP (about 150-250 USD), exhaust 5-10 HP (500+), intercooler 2-10 HP (300+). Stock tune 20-50 HP (500 USD).
That is for SX version (1.6T).

For NA - tune may bring 10 HP maybe?

They show some graphs, but if I can read it correctly it says Maserati Quattroporte.
So yeah... for engine with 420-520 BHP engine gain of 40 HP is possible (that is less than 10%).

Without good proof (dyno runs - before/after) it is hard to say what results you will get and if any gains are there. And even if they are - say you may get extra 12 HP at 5800 rpm, while between 1600 and 5200 rpm the gains are negligible (2-3 HP)...

I am just theorizing here...

From my perspective of 1.6T - tune was worth every penny. Puts smile each time I press the pedal.

Drives:
2016 KIA Forte5 SX 1.6 T-GDI, A/T ("cheap GTI" - surprises many drivers)
2014 FIAT 500e (my first EV - awesome toy!!)
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD with Roof and Beats (for my wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
Define what "worth it" means for you.

For NA engines - most of the time there is a little gain. Some power bump, some torque bump.
For Turbo'ed engines - most cases result in quite significant improvement.

From all mods - tune is the best return on the investment, that is say CAI may add 5 HP (about 150-250 USD), exhaust 5-10 HP (500+), intercooler 2-10 HP (300+). Stock tune 20-50 HP (500 USD).
That is for SX version (1.6T).

For NA - tune may bring 10 HP maybe?

They show some graphs, but if I can read it correctly it says Maserati Quattroporte.
So yeah... for engine with 420-520 BHP engine gain of 40 HP is possible (that is less than 10%).

Without good proof (dyno runs - before/after) it is hard to say what results you will get and if any gains are there. And even if they are - say you may get extra 12 HP at 5800 rpm, while between 1600 and 5200 rpm the gains are negligible (2-3 HP)...

I am just theorizing here...

From my perspective of 1.6T - tune was worth every penny. Puts smile each time I press the pedal.
thanks that helps a lot! so i should get all my bolt on mods then do a tune?
also should i send my ecu to a place that tunes them or try to get a garage somewhere, i have no idea how the process to a tune works
im from canada i dont know if that changes anything or if you know of any places that do over here

Last edited by bryankoup; 04-23-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 AM
PLP
Super Moderator

Depends what your plan is.

I assume 2014 SX in Canada is same as in the US. That is 1.6T.

I personally would get the tune for now and see how you like it.

If you can find a reputable tuner, go to them. That would be the best (getting custom tune on the dyno).
Otherwise you are facing CAN tune, as they call it. This means you send your ECU and they program the new maps.
I would not buy those chips that miraculously add power.
For tune you may do K&N air filter drop in (i.e. simply replace OEM) and put racing spark plugs (HKS 40 or 45). Then you will need high octane fuel to get the power.
And new tires more often. And maybe a lawyer to get you out of the trouble for speeding.

This is what I did. Got a spare ECU, put spark plugs, KN, and tune. While up to 60 mph it does not seem much different, I mean - you WILL feel it, it pulls much stronger, but the biggest change is after passing 70 mph. It keeps going strong. I pushed to 100 mph and was unstoppable, comparing to OEM. I did not try further, though. Not really much room here and besides cops might not be so forgiving...

Again, avoid cheap, miracle like solutions.

As for bolts on - sure, they will unlock more power, but at some point you will be close to damaging the engine (internals), so I would be careful.

Drives:
post #6 of 7 Old 04-24-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
Depends what your plan is.

I assume 2014 SX in Canada is same as in the US. That is 1.6T.

I personally would get the tune for now and see how you like it.

If you can find a reputable tuner, go to them. That would be the best (getting custom tune on the dyno).
Otherwise you are facing CAN tune, as they call it. This means you send your ECU and they program the new maps.
I would not buy those chips that miraculously add power.
For tune you may do K&N air filter drop in (i.e. simply replace OEM) and put racing spark plugs (HKS 40 or 45). Then you will need high octane fuel to get the power.
And new tires more often. And maybe a lawyer to get you out of the trouble for speeding.

This is what I did. Got a spare ECU, put spark plugs, KN, and tune. While up to 60 mph it does not seem much different, I mean - you WILL feel it, it pulls much stronger, but the biggest change is after passing 70 mph. It keeps going strong. I pushed to 100 mph and was unstoppable, comparing to OEM. I did not try further, though. Not really much room here and besides cops might not be so forgiving...

Again, avoid cheap, miracle like solutions.

As for bolts on - sure, they will unlock more power, but at some point you will be close to damaging the engine (internals), so I would be careful.
i will probably do the CAN since no on tnes kias where im at
i have a couple of bolt, and will be getting what you recomend
and by spare ecu do i need to buy another one? and when CAN tuning, do i just send my ecu to the place and they play around with it and send it back ready to go or do i need to get a dyno or have a computer and plug it in after.
the results look amazing i really want that, only thing im a little scared about is that when i get my ecu back that the car wont start or something like that,
post #7 of 7 Old 04-25-2019, 09:36 AM
PLP
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankoup View Post
i will probably do the CAN since no on tnes kias where im at
i have a couple of bolt, and will be getting what you recomend
and by spare ecu do i need to buy another one? and when CAN tuning, do i just send my ecu to the place and they play around with it and send it back ready to go or do i need to get a dyno or have a computer and plug it in after.
the results look amazing i really want that, only thing im a little scared about is that when i get my ecu back that the car wont start or something like that,

http://damnfastdd.com/Products/Show/...T+Stage+1+Tune

https://www.sxthelement.com/2014-Kia...cts-s/1949.htm

Talk to those guys.

Either one is good.
If you want more info, focused on 1.6T, go here:
https://www.forteturbo.org/forum/forum.php

Bolts on most of the time add power without the tune. But this is sometimes just a placebo effect, while other is just a perception (like more noise means the car is faster).

You do NOT have to get spare ECU, but it helps if you want to deal with some problems or corrections to tune. Also, if you want to sell the car or take it to service, but want to hide it was tuned. Yet, with bolt-ons it will be impossible.

However, when I got mine from 6th, I had to ship both ECUs. When I got the spare in the mail, I connected it and it "communicated" with the car. I could read from it. I could not start, because of different VIN.
From time to time I pop the stock back to compare how the car drives.
I doubt you would have problems to start the car with the tune.

CAN tune is one fits all type. It will not be perfect. The best would be the dyno as the tuner would be looking what the engine is doing and do the final touches to make sure all is fine.
Yet the limiters are still there, hence it is unlikely to get the engine trashed with CAN tune. Unless you just keep riding it hard and neglect it.

One thing, though.
You say yours is 2014.
I vaguely recall that pre 2015 engines have some issues - not sure if the internals were weaker (or maybe it was Veloster only), spark plugs were different, too.

Again, if it was up to me I would start with the tune and see how it behaves. It is the easiest to do (and reverse if needed) and gives the most power per money spent.
Also, once you have the tune in, if you notify the tuner - you can have him get the tune ready for the extras your are planning, and add the bolt-ons, they will unlock the power automatically. Just like tune would be waiting for them...

So far, after about 15k miles, I can say tune was safe. But I barely ever push it to the limits. There is no place to use it completely... once in a while on a ramp or on a highway. Sometimes in the city a quick pull. But those are once in a while things.

Drives: