Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so after cars from every other part of the world, except France?....and Russia! - I finally caved and took a chance and bought a mint 2010 Koup SX! My first Korean car.... And Lord helps it if it lets me down!

It's a one owner car with 175000 original kilometres and no accidents. I would say in every capacity it's a 9.5 out of 10. So here's my observations so far - and I look forward to being part of this community.....

Coming from a 2010 Civic SI, I have to say this thing is a torque monster, comparatively speaking. I commend Kia on their balls for putting a N/A 2.4L in a small car. No it likely won't trounce any GTI turbos, and once the Civic does hit the good ol' VTEC, they really do scream. However, knowing there's no turbo hosing or plumbing (or rebuild issues) like the VW, as the car ages it's nice peace of mind. And in all honesty, getting the Civic up to that point where it gets fun was kind of rare anyways. With the Kia you can mash it when the mood strikes and it scoots, or just dawdle and it cruises beautifully! From what I can tell based on the research I did before I bought it, so long as you maintain the car these engines seem to be pretty stout. I heard a lot of issues with some other Kia's, but for the most the Koup seems to be a pretty reliable car?

Yes it's true the clutch is strange and I have stalled a few times....whatever! :p
And the rear axle is definitely more primitive than the Honda set up. Both of these things I can live with.

To me it looks like a cross between an Audi A5 and a Civic coupe. I think the designers did a great job, and its aging very well. I actually prefer the first generation over the later ones.

Obviously it's built to a price somewhat, so no, the materials aren't quite up to the Civics, but I would say it's 90% of the way there.

Like many others have mentioned I'm not a real fan of the wheels..... I don't know exactly what it is about them they just look a little too......convuluted/busy? Having said that I'm on the hunt for some 17 or 18 inch replacements. I was all ready to look into the Honda/Toyota/ Mazda camp, as they share the same bolt pattern, but it seems the Kia has a slightly bigger centre bore, and the Japanese seem to be around 64.1! Grrr. I could always go with Mustang wheels! Lol. (72mm)

I'm six foot one and fit fine, and the back seat room is actually not bad either!..... Not that I'd ever have to sit back there.

I think, like the Scion tC, they should have made this thing a hatchback. Would have been so nice having that opening back there....Still, it's a pretty big trunk and with the pass through with the seats down you could still get a bike back there.

The feature list is fantastic, especially tilt and telescoping steering, digital climate control, inputs and ports galore, 'dual stage' centre console and XFM/Bluetooth! I'm having a really hard time thinking of anything that the car lacks for interior toys?

I don't care what people or the media say - I like the rear diffuser! No one else in this segment does it and it suits the car!

And finally - unlike a certain Japanese car company from about 2000 to 2015 ahemhonda (clear coat chaos) - the paint is absolutely stunning after 10 years! To think this car has just over a hundred thousand miles, and to a casual observer they might think it's a one or two year old car! Especially given the fact that as red ages it can tend to get really nasty! Kudos Kia on the Koup :)

Looking forward to getting through my first (regular fuel!) tank. I'm hoping mid 20s mpg in city driving.

.....now to dig deep into the archives for the dirt 馃槅

Attachments

Registered
To me it looks like a cross between an Audi A5 and a Civic coupe. I think the designers did a great job, and its aging very well. I actually prefer the first generation over the later ones.
I agree. I still think the first gens look best but the 2nd gen (with the SX front end) are growing on me.

Like many others have mentioned I'm not a real fan of the wheels..... I don't know exactly what it is about them they just look a little too......convuluted/busy? Having said that I'm on the hunt for some 17 or 18 inch replacements. I was all ready to look into the Honda/Toyota/ Mazda camp, as they share the same bolt pattern, but it seems the Kia has a slightly bigger centre bore, and the Japanese seem to be around 64.1! Grrr. I could always go with Mustang wheels! Lol. (72mm)
Look at other Kia and Hyundai models. All FWD cars with 5 lugs will fit. I personally have 18" Kia Soul wheels on mt 2011 SX hatchback and use 16" Hyundai Azera wheels for the winter tires on my 2013 SX Koup.

I think, like the Scion tC, they should have made this thing a hatchback.
I also agree but I think they didn't because of the 5-door hatchback.

I don't care what people or the media say - I like the rear diffuser! No one else in this segment does it and it suits the car!
Ditto

Registered
Ok, so after cars from every other part of the world, except France?....and Russia! - I finally caved and took a chance and bought a mint 2010 Koup SX! My first Korean car.... And Lord helps it if it lets me down!

It's a one owner car with 175000 original kilometres and no accidents. I would say in every capacity it's a 9.5 out of 10. So here's my observations so far - and I look forward to being part of this community.....

Coming from a 2010 Civic SI, I have to say this thing is a torque monster, comparatively speaking. I commend Kia on their balls for putting a N/A 2.4L in a small car. No it likely won't trounce any GTI turbos, and once the Civic does hit the good ol' VTEC, they really do scream. However, knowing there's no turbo hosing or plumbing (or rebuild issues) like the VW, as the car ages it's nice peace of mind. And in all honesty, getting the Civic up to that point where it gets fun was kind of rare anyways. With the Kia you can mash it when the mood strikes and it scoots, or just dawdle and it cruises beautifully! From what I can tell based on the research I did before I bought it, so long as you maintain the car these engines seem to be pretty stout. I heard a lot of issues with some other Kia's, but for the most the Koup seems to be a pretty reliable car?

Yes it's true the clutch is strange and I have stalled a few times....whatever! :p
And the rear axle is definitely more primitive than the Honda set up. Both of these things I can live with.

Obviously it's built to a price somewhat, so no, the materials aren't quite up to the Civics, but I would say it's 90% of the way there.

I'm six foot one and fit fine, and the back seat room is actually not bad either!..... Not that I'd ever have to sit back there.

I think, like the Scion tC, they should have made this thing a hatchback. Would have been so nice having that opening back there....Still, it's a pretty big trunk and with the pass through with the seats down you could still get a bike back there.

The feature list is fantastic, especially tilt and telescoping steering, digital climate control, inputs and ports galore, 'dual stage' centre console and XFM/Bluetooth! I'm having a really hard time thinking of anything that the car lacks for interior toys?

And finally - unlike a certain Japanese car company from about 2000 to 2015 ahemhonda (clear coat chaos) - the paint is absolutely stunning after 10 years! To think this car has just over a hundred thousand miles, and to a casual observer they might think it's a one or two year old car! Especially given the fact that as red ages it can tend to get really nasty! Kudos Kia on the Koup :)

Looking forward to getting through my first (regular fuel!) tank. I'm hoping mid 20s mpg in city driving.

.....now to dig deep into the archives for the dirt 馃槅
I have a set of forte 5 sx 18" wheels in immaculate condition. If interested Let me know

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts