Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm pissed! My new EX with less than 500 miles freaked me out yesterday. I was tooling down the road at about 65 mph nice and quiet and enjoying the ride. All of a sudden I hear this loud shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound that turned into a louder shhhhhhhhhhh sound before I could get off the road and see what the hell was going on. Well, the drivers side front fender well fell down on top of the tire and got chewed up. I couldn't F'ing believe it! I tried to tuck the front of thin plastic POS into an area under the bumper so I could make it home but it fell down again. I twisted it and tucked it again and it stayed till I got home

I looked at the passenger side and found that there is only one button that holds the front of the well in place. I couldn't get hold of anyone on the holiday yesterday but they are fixin to get an ear full this morning. Here are a couple of pix, sorry they're so dark...

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well, I'm pissed! My new EX with less than 500 miles freaked me out yesterday. I was tooling down the road at about 65 mph nice and quiet and enjoying the ride. All of a sudden I hear this loud shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound that turned into a louder shhhhhhhhhhh sound before I could get off the road and see what the hell was going on. Well, the drivers side front fender well fell down on top of the tire and got chewed up. I couldn't F'ing believe it! I tried to tuck the front of thin plastic POS into an area under the bumper so I could make it home but it fell down again. I twisted it and tucked it again and it stayed till I got home

I looked at the passenger side and found that there is only one button that holds the front of the well in place. I couldn't get hold of anyone on the holiday yesterday but they are fixin to get an ear full this morning. Here are a couple of pix, sorry they're so dark...
Why give them an earful? Why not go up and say "yeah, i got a problem so i'll have to bring it in for a warranty repair" then when you bring it show them exactly what the problem was so they can let other owners know about it in case it happens.

I didn't look at mine, but it could be a design flaw....your dealership/service department doesn't design the car, so why get mad at them?

·
Registered
82 Posts
i agree if your respectful to the dealer youll get better service...shit happens man its not like the motor blew up or something....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why give them an earful? Why not go up and say "yeah, i got a problem so i'll have to bring it in for a warranty repair" then when you bring it show them exactly what the problem was so they can let other owners know about it in case it happens.

I didn't look at mine, but it could be a design flaw....your dealership/service department doesn't design the car, so why get mad at them?
I've had several new cars in my life and have never had an issue with pieces falling off. I'm just upset because I expect quality in materials and workmanship this day and time. Yup, things happen and I should be grateful the steering wheel didn't come off in my hands :D.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,830 Posts
Sorry to hear you had this happen. Can understand your being upset. Just don't take it out on the service department -- they don't want it to happen either-- you can be sure of that!!!

Let us know why (it happened) and the fix...and hopefully nothing else will go wrong.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I can understand your pissed, but atleast its not like a tire blew out, or your car won't steer or like some other car companys wear its a saftey risk to drive it.
sucks for sure but the plastic thing is going to be a super easy fix!:)
not something to get to worked up about..right?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i am also of the camp that believes that getting it repaired is easy

whats important- that first contact w/your service department-
after all- there is a chance you will be back there for something else wrong- if not- at least ........just for scheduled maint.

and like others have said- those grease monkeys are not the ones that built your car - (they may have done the PDI- but think of it this way- once the "big guy" in charge of the dealership starts getting billed for things under warrenty due to failed PDI's- the "big guy" is gonna start fixing the problems)

one of the guys here- not gonna call him out- he is one of those so called grease monkeys- but from what i've read of his posts- he does care about the "final product" that we all drive.

i just hope that when i go in for my 1st checkup and fixing's that i get someone like him.....

·
Registered
522 Posts
I can understand your pissed, but atleast its not like a tire blew out, or your car won't steer or like some other car companys wear its a saftey risk to drive it.
sucks for sure but the plastic thing is going to be a super easy fix!:)
not something to get to worked up about..right?

IN MY LINE OF WORK, IF YOU COME I PISSED OFF YOU JUST MAKE A BAD INPRESSION, AND I WILL NOT TRY AND HELP YOU OUT. BUT IF YOU COME IN NICE I WILL BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP YOU OUT. PLEASE THINK OF THIS BEFORE YOU BLOW UP!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, you're right. I threaded this forum when I was totally pissed about the situation. It is just a piece of plastic and buttoned to the frame and very easily fixed. I kinda have it mind that they are going to claim road hazard on me, which is was not. I shouldn't assume anything....

·
Registered
513 Posts
it sounds like he's missing more than one screw.. 1 in the wheel well, and there should be 2 under the bumper.. Even if the one in the wheel well is missing. I'd be surprised to see it drop because the ones under the bumper should work.. and as a third precaution the clips under the headlights should hold it in as well. I'm wondering when you put the bumper back on if you didn't clip it on enough.

but like it's been mentioned before. the damage is done. Get back to the dealership and have that shit fixed. Maybe get a free spoiler out of the mess. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm really not sure of how many fasteners there are that support the well. It's just the front part is hanging down and blows against the tire. I wired it up until I can take it down for repair.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm really not sure of how many fasteners there are that support the well. It's just the front part is hanging down and blows against the tire. I wired it up until I can take it down for repair.
I can tell you for sure.. that there is only one in the wheel well..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is definately more than one that I can see. Unless the wheel well is more than one piece.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All of my anxiety was for nothing! I went to my closest Kia service center to have a look at the fender well. The tech looked under the car and got up and said "we'll have the part here Wednesday, follow Emily to get some information from you". What a super bunch of folks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dealer called early this week and got the new fender well in. Went in on Wednesday and they had me out in 30 minutes...Kia has great service!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts