Kia Forte Forum banner

100,000 miles on '15 Forte5 SX

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  PLP 
#1 ·
My car rolled over 100k miles yesterday. I was stuck in stop and go traffic on my way to Cambridge when it happened. I've attached a couple of photos of my car taken recently, still looks like new and the leather seats have held up really well. The only wrinkling is where my leg presses down on the cushion for the clutch.

The car has been great overall. The engine runs better now than when new. No squeaks or rattles and it's generally been trouble-free. I have had to do several non-maintenance repairs. At about 65k miles, the starter would sometimes not spin. I went to a starter/alternator place and they removed the starter, rebuilt it, and reinstalled it for $180. It's worked perfectly since then. The second problem was around 90k when the check engine light came on. I ended up replacing the blow off valve and the solenoid that controls it, both were bad. Only about $150 for parts, and labor was free since I did the work. I also had to replace the backup camera, which I bought from a company in Taiwan for $100. Works better than new.

For maintenance, it's been a couple sets of tires. I was using Continental Extreme Contact DWS, but I just switched to the Contact LS, because the sidewalls are very stiff on the DWS's and the ride was pretty harsh. The LS's give a significantly better ride. I replaced the brakes and rotors at 65k, since the front rotors were warped and the pads were worn out. I change the oil every 7500 miles with a Kia filter and Mobil One.

There are a couple of problems that I can't solve. The front seat cushions have become uncomfortable over the last year or so. Fine for short trips, but painful on longer ones. I've tried a cushion on the seat, which helps some, but doesn't cure the problem. If I get rid of the car, it will be for this reason. Also, I would love to put higher quality shocks on the car, but none are available. The dampening is just not that great and I know some Bilsteins would solve the problem.

I've made a few mods, the best are the Hertz component speakers in the front and coax in the back. The stereo went from pretty bad to really good with this simple change. I added hydraulic struts to the hood and some LED bulbs for the fog lights.

The things I like best about the car:

- The climate control is excellent, especially the auto-defrost. I just set a temp and forget it.
- People love the heated rear seats and I like the ventilated front seat.
- The manual transmission shifts really nicely and the clutch is smooth.
- The car is pleasantly quick, it makes fast work passing on two lane roads.
- The navigation works well and I use it every day. I just wish you didn't have to pay to update.

While I do like the Kia, I have to admit that I would prefer a Tesla Model 3. I haven't driven one yet, but I like the looks and the concept. If the Kia seats finally get to me, I'll have to visit the Tesla showroom.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: PLP
#2 ·
I find the seat not so comfortable either, although mine is 25k miles old. :)
I also love its navigation. I managed to get the update for free (within the first year). Maybe it would need another one in a year or so. Still, 160 is not so bad.

While I do like the Kia, I have to admit that I would prefer a Tesla Model 3. I haven't driven one yet, but I like the looks and the concept. If the Kia seats finally get to me, I'll have to visit the Tesla showroom.

Model 3 vs Forte5 SX? Not really a good comparison... :)
Have you driven one yet?

For sure, I can tell you that EV is a completely different live. Sure, 500e is not even partially what Model 3 is, but gives me the feeling of EV.
There are many things that EV reviews do not mention... so I had to learn the hard way.

Anyway, I am glad you hit 100k miles and the car looks like new.

Reactions: Walpole5
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.