Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a 2014 LX with 60k, one owner, no accidents, drives and sounds fine but I'm starting to freak myself out a bit reading all the horror stories the engine has caused some. I know there are a couple of Fortes that have made it to very high mileages but most are from the 2.0l. Anyone over 100k on the 1.8l and still running strong?

I might sign up with an extended warranty company like CarShield just to cover my ass in case anything happens down the road.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well, it's a bit of a probability case. There were a higher than average engine failures of the 1.8 engine, but most are running just fine. Obviously, you won't hear much of that, it is not newsworthy. The same goes for the 2.0 GDI, most are running without any problems, and after 2016, the problem was no longer there. Enjoy your car, don't think too much of it. Besides, with your average, you'll hit 100,000 miles in 5 years, so take it easy.
Just keep maintaining it well, use OEM oil filters, high chance you will enjoy many more years of trouble-free use.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am a big believer in good maintenance to make a car last a long time. At 60K you may be due for a coolant and transmission fluid change (check your owner manual for the intervals). I am cynical about how other people maintain cars, so I assume the previous owner did not perform these services (you may check with your local Kia dealer to see if there are any maintenace records). Since you are concerned, I would have a Kia mechanic check the car over and recommend any service. For example, if the car is out of alignment there will be undue wear on the steering components.

I've maintained my cars to the severe service interval and they lasted a long time with few failures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank for your reply guys. Transmission fluid change is first on my list and now I'll add the coolant. The steering wheel does pull to the left a bit (I drove it on a bunch of differenr roads just to see if it would still pull) so I'll have that looked at down the road too but other than that the car looks very clean.

Best case scenario is KIA acknowledging in the future that their Fortes are also a part of the bunch with an engine problem and they extend the warranty on the Forte because we were all left out the recent lawsuit they just settled. There are already a few pending lawsuits from Forte owners so wel'll see what happens. If Hyundai covered the Elantra in their settlement, KIA has to do the same for the Forte, they're basically the same car, shit they're basically the same company so how could they not?! 😁

Anyway, it's just like joachimkazmaier said, it's all probability. Around 80k Fortes were sold in 2014 alone between the US (69k) & Canada and only about 150 of those have been reported to the NHTSA for engine failure. So just take care of my ride and enjoy it because there's a very high probability that the car will turn out just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Forte that I bought new with the 1.8L engine, with 127,300 miles and not one problem with the engine or trans. Changing oil at 5k and trans oil every 30k. Trans oil very easy to do, just drain and fill with 31/2 quarts.what you drain out you put in.

·
Registered
2015 Forte LX+
62 Posts
I have a 2014 Forte that I bought new with the 1.8L engine, with 127,300 miles and not one problem with the engine or trans. Changing oil at 5k and trans oil every 30k. Trans oil very easy to do, just drain and fill with 31/2 quarts.what you drain out you put in.
I thought the automatic tranny are sealed? I don't see a tranny fluid reservoir to fill

·
Registered
13 Posts
No reservoir. Just a drain plug and a fill I believe. I let my mechanics do it so I’m not sure exactly where they are. I do know if you haven’t been doing it all along you shouldn’t start when there is high mileage. Better to just leave it alone. And never a “flush and fill” like some quick oil change places do.

·
Registered
2015 Forte LX+
62 Posts
I saw on youtube that the fill spot is underneath the air intake. Seems a pain to take it out. If you do it yourself, would you mind making a youtube movie for tranny change? I'm sure many would appreciate it. Where do you get your tranny fluid and how much is it?

No reservoir. Just a drain plug and a fill I believe. I let my mechanics do it so I’m not sure exactly where they are. I do know if you haven’t been doing it all along you shouldn’t start when there is high mileage. Better to just leave it alone. And never a “flush and fill” like some quick oil change places do.
The dealerships ARE flushing it though. It's not a drain and fill. They have their special machine that flushes the tranny. You said you did your tranny every 60k, are you doing it at the dealership? Or an independent mechanic who does the drain and fill? Whomever does it, how much they charge? And is it OEM tranny fluid from Kia?

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
727 Posts
I saw on youtube that the fill spot is underneath the air intake. Seems a pain to take it out. If you do it yourself, would you mind making a youtube movie for tranny change? I'm sure many would appreciate it. Where do you get your tranny fluid and how much is it?

The dealerships ARE flushing it though. It's not a drain and fill. They have their special machine that flushes the tranny. You said you did your tranny every 60k, are you doing it at the dealership? Or an independent mechanic who does the drain and fill? Whomever does it, how much they charge? And is it OEM tranny fluid from Kia?
For transmission flush, you don't want to use the machines. They blow all the seals out and f*** everything up. What you're supposed to do (at least for Toyota, Volvo, and others I've dealt with) is you take the cooler lines off and put the one side with suction in your new fluid and the discharge one in an empty clear bottle and keep running it just long enough it to suck in new fluid a quart at a time until the fluid coming out looks pretty much the same as new fluid. That's the proper way that the Volvo service manual says and that doesn't mess anything up like those machines often can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If those who are interested in how to do a drain and fill their trans,there are videos on Utube to follow. Yes the air box does need to be removed, makes it easier to get the funnel into the fill hole on top of the trans. My trans is a six speed, when I drain the trans, the drain plug is the one on the bottom, 23mm or 15/16 socket, you will need a new gasket from Kia, @ 2 dollars. I buy Valvoline full synthetic from Walmart for 18 dollars for 4 quarts. My trans takes exactly 31/2 quarts to refill. When refilling use a long funnel, and pour very slowly or the fluid will back out the fill hole. The fill hole is the plastic plug with the 1/2 square on the top,a 1/2 extension will fit but when tightening no more then a 1/8 turn, remember it’s plastic. Hope this helps.
2014 Kia Forte 1.8l Please note, on the plastic fill plug it may be a 3/8 square, not sure.

To remove air box, first, loosen the hose clamp, and remove the air flow sensor connector and release the two clips that hold the top of the air box down, then lift it up and out, second, remove air filter, you will see three 10mm screws holding the bottom box in place, remove them, then take box, move it toward the left to release it from air tube and pull straight up and out. Should take about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Sorry so long to reply. I don’t go to the dealer unless absolutely necessary. I have an independent mechanic work on my car. I probably could have done a flush because I’ve been changing the fluid song 60,000 miles. I understand that you shouldn’t do it if it’s beyond 100,000 or so and have never been done. The mechanic uses 4.5 quarts of Kia approved name brand lubricant. There are videos of how to do it and it doesn’t appear to be that hard.

·
Registered
2015 Forte LX+
62 Posts
Sorry so long to reply. I don’t go to the dealer unless absolutely necessary. I have an independent mechanic work on my car. I probably could have done a flush because I’ve been changing the fluid song 60,000 miles. I understand that you shouldn’t do it if it’s beyond 100,000 or so and have never been done. The mechanic uses 4.5 quarts of Kia approved name brand lubricant. There are videos of how to do it and it doesn’t appear to be that hard.
If those who are interested in how to do a drain and fill their trans,there are videos on Utube to follow. Yes the air box does need to be removed, makes it easier to get the funnel into the fill hole on top of the trans. My trans is a six speed, when I drain the trans, the drain plug is the one on the bottom, 23mm or 15/16 socket, you will need a new gasket from Kia, @ 2 dollars. I buy Valvoline full synthetic from Walmart for 18 dollars for 4 quarts. My trans takes exactly 31/2 quarts to refill. When refilling use a long funnel, and pour very slowly or the fluid will back out the fill hole. The fill hole is the plastic plug with the 1/2 square on the top,a 1/2 extension will fit but when tightening no more then a 1/8 turn, remember it’s plastic. Hope this helps.
2014 Kia Forte 1.8l Please note, on the plastic fill plug it may be a 3/8 square, not sure.
Would you please be kind and link some youtube videos that deal exactly with 2nd gen Forte tranny oil change, including tutorials how to remove the air box?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts