Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Forte Koup SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum here, I'm looking at purchasing a cat-back exhaust on my '12 SX. I noticed yesterday that the weld on the pipe coming out of the stock resonator came loose and is rattling, so it's a good chance to upgrade. A quick eBay search surfaced the Megan Racing catback exhaust, so I'm thinking of ordering that and installing it. I'll be sure to post pictures if I get the job done!

Question on that.. does anyone have any recommendations/warnings about purchasing larger parts like the exhaust on eBay? Would there be a significant reason for me to order direct from Megan or another supplier?

Thanks everyone! Excited that I found this forum - I frickin love my Koup. It feels like the perfect Korean sporty car that no one knows about.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,410 Posts
Welcome to forteforums.

I've had good luck purchasing items off of ebay. The seller you have attached has a good over-all rating. The only reason I'd offer to go elsewhere is if you can find it for a better price...but that one looks good.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Forte Koup SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to forteforums.

I've had good luck purchasing items off of ebay. The seller you have attached has a good over-all rating. The only reason I'd offer to go elsewhere is if you can find it for a better price...but that one looks good.
Awesome, thanks! I'll post back with pictures when it arrives :cool:

·
Registered
2010 Forte ex 4 speed auto
11 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum here, I'm looking at purchasing a cat-back exhaust on my '12 SX. I noticed yesterday that the weld on the pipe coming out of the stock resonator came loose and is rattling, so it's a good chance to upgrade. A quick eBay search surfaced the Megan Racing catback exhaust, so I'm thinking of ordering that and installing it. I'll be sure to post pictures if I get the job done!

Question on that.. does anyone have any recommendations/warnings about purchasing larger parts like the exhaust on eBay? Would there be a significant reason for me to order direct from Megan or another supplier?

Thanks everyone! Excited that I found this forum - I frickin love my Koup. It feels like the perfect Korean sporty car that no one knows about.
Welcome to the forum! I have been looking at exhausts for a while, and I think there may be cheaper options, depending on how you want it to sound.

ARK DTS Exhaust (says hatchback but it all fits the same)

Magnaflow (the most quiet out of these)

DC (can't find them available but they are out there)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Forte Koup SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum! I have been looking at exhausts for a while, and I think there may be cheaper options, depending on how you want it to sound.

ARK DTS Exhaust (says hatchback but it all fits the same)

Magnaflow (the most quiet out of these)

DC (can't find them available but they are out there)
All of those links quote prices higher than what I paid for the Megan exhaust (~$500), so I'm gonna try my luck with that. I found a few videos of my engine with that muffler and I really liked the sound of the muffer note.

·
Registered
2010 Forte ex 4 speed auto
11 Posts
All of those links quote prices higher than what I paid for the Megan exhaust (~$500), so I'm gonna try my luck with that. I found a few videos of my engine with that muffler and I really liked the sound of the muffer note.
Wow, i might need that link because the cheapest I could find was $1400 and I need an exhaust XD

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,410 Posts
Did you get it for $500????

Product Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle

·
Registered
2012 Kia Forte Koup SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I managed to snag it for $480.99, to be exact :) was the last one in stock from the seller. I originally ordered the one with the burnt tips, but they were out of stock of those so asked to swap out. No big deal.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Circle

Looks like they updated the price now that I bought it.
A quick google search is showing me another ebay listing or it looks like you can order direct from Megan Racing. Both of those are ~$500 as of time of writing.
Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Font Bumper Automotive exterior
Font Automotive lighting Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

Cheers!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Forte Koup SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aha, I am afraid that I've fallen victim to the common internet habit of ghosting as soon as my problem is solved. My apologies!

Here's the long-overdue update:

As soon as I had a free evening, I took a look under my car and found that the connection between my resonator and cat had rusted to the point that it only vaguely reminded me of a bolt connection. I couldn't even fit a socket over the bolts.

Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

With this in mind, I gave my handy father-in-law a call (with more tools) and we pulled the exhaust off the car at the connection between flex pipe and cat. Thankfully, these bolts weren't rusted as I had already replaced a leaking flex pipe last year. The challenge here was disconnecting the O2 sensor to remove the cat with the exhaust. It was easy once I found where it was - It was under the center console on the right side. With this disconnected, we cut the old exhaust in half to remove it from the car.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Auto part Bicycle handlebar
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Gas Composite material

Next, we have full access to disconnect the old resonator from the cat. After trying several methods, a plasma cutter did the trick to cut the connection as well as remove the threaded studs.

Chainsaw Tradesman Workwear Asphalt Automotive tire

Once this was done, all we had to do was bolt in the new exhaust! There was a small challenge to get the bolts on the new cat to fit due to the original design not leaving room for the head of a bolt on the cat side. With some finesse I got a bolt to thread through backwards, and I'm happy with the seal I was able to get.

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive tire

I've had no issues since the install, and the exhaust still sounds fantastic! It definitely makes the car more enjoyable to drive because you can feel/hear the rumble of the engine a bit more, but it's not too overbearing like some other exhausts I've heard.

With all things considered, I'm really happy with the results and recommend the job to anyone wanting to replace their exhaust, especially if they have the tools to deal with the rust! If you're lucky enough to not live in the rust belt, this job will be significantly easier for you (as with most things).

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you torque the bolts to a certain ft-lbs? Been looking for info on that but as far as I can tell I found nothing. Just got mine installed, was a rough but all I need to do now is tighten everything down.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Forte Koup SX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you torque the bolts to a certain ft-lbs? Been looking for info on that but as far as I can tell I found nothing. Just got mine installed, was a rough but all I need to do now is tighten everything down.
I did not. I did the old "torque it down til it's real snug".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts