Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Forte GT2 DCT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, I'm in the process of installing a new boost gauge and am wondering if any of you have found good +12v power sources in the bundle of wiring going to the inside fuse box. I need a constant +12v as well as a switched source. I could obviously back probe all of the wires to find something bit I'm trying to take the lazy way out and ask y'all for help first LOL. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,231 Posts
Hey there guys, I'm in the process of installing a new boost gauge and am wondering if any of you have found good +12v power sources in the bundle of wiring going to the inside fuse box. I need a constant +12v as well as a switched source. I could obviously back probe all of the wires to find something bit I'm trying to take the lazy way out and ask y'all for help first LOL. Thanks in advance.
Back probing is probably your best bet. Not very common to see which fuse has power when in service manuals

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
22 Forte GT2 DCT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just in case anyone is curious about an easy way to get both constant +12v and switched, here's what I did... Get two Micro 2 "Add a fuse" kits. In the fuse panel under the dash, use the one labeled "Trunk" for constant 12v and the one labeled "Cluster" for your switched power. The add a fuse kits say to make sure that the original circuit is 10A or less and both of these fit the bill. You can then use the screw on the side of the dash (under the side cover) for chassis ground. All that said, the new boost gauge works perfectly.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,231 Posts
Just in case anyone is curious about an easy way to get both constant +12v and switched, here's what I did... Get two Micro 2 "Add a fuse" kits. In the fuse panel under the dash, use the one labeled "Trunk" for constant 12v and the one labeled "Cluster" for your switched power. The add a fuse kits say to make sure that the original circuit is 10A or less and both of these fit the bill. You can then use the screw on the side of the dash (under the side cover) for chassis ground. All that said, the new boost gauge works perfectly.
Sweet! Got pictures?

·
Registered
22 Forte GT2 DCT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it's going to take me a bit to figure out how to disassemble the dash enough to tuck in the wires, here's how it stands now.

Ignition off:

Speedometer Gauge Vehicle Steering part Car

Ignition on: The color doesn't photograph correctly. It really looks the same as the factory color in person.

Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Trip computer

Add-a-Fuse:

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electricity Cable Electronic engineering

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,231 Posts
Since it's going to take me a bit to figure out how to disassemble the dash enough to tuck in the wires, here's how it stands now.

Ignition off:

View attachment 89183

Ignition on: The color doesn't photograph correctly. It really looks the same as the factory color in person.

View attachment 89184

Add-a-Fuse:

View attachment 89185
Looks great. Routing the wires seems like it’s going to be a bit of a challenge.
Wish they made a combo electric boost/oil temp gauge so I could do something similar on my FE

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure where you ran your wire but behind the radio there is a small snap out panel you might be able to snake it thru there as for 12v I came off the fuse block with one of those plug in add a fuse thingies I picked the ING fuse key on you could take out the radio but that long plastic snap out panel is a pita I added a scratch to it every time I’ve had to take it out 😏

·
Registered
22 Forte GT2 DCT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure where you ran your wire but behind the radio there is a small snap out panel you might be able to snake it thru there as for 12v I came off the fuse block with one of those plug in add a fuse thingies I picked the ING fuse key on you could take out the radio but that long plastic snap out panel is a pita I added a scratch to it every time I’ve had to take it out 😏
Thanks, I'll try to figure out how to take that piece out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts