Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. I was just wondering if any of you could provide me with some insight. I am looking to get some 18" rims for my Koup EX and I'm sure some of you already have. If so, did you notice any difference in the vehicle's handling, steering, etc.? The wheel wells on these Koups are pretty tight as it is so I wasn't sure how getting 18" wheels would affect it or even fit well. Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
18's will fit...Some member even have 19's and 20's.....I can't speak directly on the handling of this specific car but I can tell you that I have had 17's on a previous car and although I didn't notice much of a handling difference, I noticed I started going through brake pads more often, and bearings. Maybe it was too much strain on the front end. Also had to get alignments more often.

A buddy had 18's on his Subaru and I can tell you for certain that I noticed a big difference in handling. Every little defect in the road you could feel. It felt like being in a Jeep. It was really rough.

I am having the same problem as you. I am considering 17's and 18's right now. I think 18's honestly look the best of all the sizes but I am worried about the handling as well. With 18's on my buddies car and the handling issue, it could have been limited to his car so I don't want to be quick to judge.

Check out discount tire for wheels. I like the TSW Thruxton or Vairano....I think they look great!

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Ok, I have to agree the bigger the wheel the more bumps stick out..
I have 18"inch wheels had them for close too a month now I guess anyway
I've noticed that I used to have bad bump steer with the koup on tight bumpy turns with the stock width tires.. I drop down too the next smaller with tire and found my bump steer went away :) and the traction is still very good car handles well..

If I push the car harder then normal
The Rear tires kind of start to let go for a moment but then grab on.. honestly I plan too stagger tires next time I buy them.. and run the stock width on the back and keep the smaller size width
on the front, I think It will handle perfect that way :)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, I appreciate the replies. I bought the EX Koup and I actually really like the stock rims, but would've liked them much better if they were bigger. I also think that the car itself would look a bit better with wider tires since the stock tires seem so slim. That's just me though. Ecko the site was down when I tried, but I'll post a link for the ones I want. Rainyraven, have you ever put spacers on any of your wheels?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=Z2887545B4579B&wheelMake=Zinik&wheelModel=Z28+Revento&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Kia&autoModel=Forte+Koup&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=EX&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=Zinik&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
ahh No I've never ran spacers.. my wheels are 18x7 and they tend to sit right on the edge of the inside fender edge any farther out and I'd think they might rub on a bump IMO,

We did have too shim the rear wheels for alignment issues after I put the 18inch wheels on

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have 18x8 on the fronts and backs, the ride is defiantly bumpy compared to stock. The front wheels tuck nicely under the frony wheel well with no problem with rubbing while turning or on the bumps. Since I lowered the car this isnt a lot of room for bounce bit the shocks are stiff enough to not give me any problems.

·
Registered
695 Posts
fastdaredevil21, they should fit in the back without problems. Where you plainign on lowering your car? You have about an inch of space between the wheel and the strut when the car is lowered so there will be enough room where it wouldnt rub.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i as well want to lower my sx too and add 18 if i could is what everyone is saying is that 18x8 with 42+backspacing lowered will work thank you

·
Registered
695 Posts
i as well want to lower my sx too and add 18 if i could is what everyone is saying is that 18x8 with 42+backspacing lowered will work thank you
That work work and look really clean with a small space between the tire and wheel well.

What tires and wheels were you getting?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am running 245/40/18 and honestly I like the ride better than the stock wheels/tires about 95% of the time. I live in east texas and have pretty good roads so that may be a big part of it, but the ride and handling is extremely smooth and comfortable. My front tires rub slightly if i turn too sharply on an incline, but thats my fault for the tire size I chose... Only thing ive noticed is I do have to watch my alignment more with these than I did with my stock wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am looking for plain 18'' wheel to use as a spare on my 2014 forte koup SX. Plan to get a tire that matches the original OEM tires. Don't want anything fancy, just a match on lugs and offset Any suggestions where I could source a plan wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a white 2014 forte sedan, recently got tints vinyl wrapped my roof black, wanted to know if bbs rims would look stupid without the car being lowered, i dont want to void warranty

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I'm running 18x8.5 with 225/40/18 Kumho's on them, coupled with ARK lowering springs.

Im not close to rubbing and still have a little bit of wheel gap.

I honestly dont notice much difference in handling or performance than i did before i added the new shoes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Greetings to all. I was just wondering if any of you could provide me with some insight. I am looking to get some 18" rims for my Koup EX and I'm sure some of you already have. If so, did you notice any difference in the vehicle's handling, steering, etc.? The wheel wells on these Koups are pretty tight as it is so I wasn't sure how getting 18" wheels would affect it or even fit well. Thanks.
I have 18" TSW Muguellos. 225/40 R18 with a +40 offset. No issues with rubbing or anything. Mostly just feel more bumps in the road due to the lack of rubber.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.