Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just bought a 2021 forte gt as my first manual car and Its been awesome to drive. I just had a local shop install the boomba short shift adapter along with the transmission bracket bushings and base bushings. Drove it around for a couple hours and I have noticed something interesting. The shifts from 1st to 2nd arent straight back/down in a linear line as it was with stock. In fact, if you try to apply pressure to the left as you shift from 1st to 2nd, it hangs up on an "edge" of some sort and won't even slot into 2nd. You have to noticably and purposefully slightly diagonal it down and slightly to the right into 2nd. Is this normal with a short shift adapter like this, should I just get used to it? Or could there have been an issue with the install? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Administrator
549 Posts
Doesn't sound normal to me. I've had many short shifters in my life and they always shifted properly/straight. Sounds like something is binding somewhere. Check all the parts that were replaced (shifter cable bushings + shifter components) while somebody is going through the gears and see if you visually notice anything. I'd definitely take it back either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: Took it back and they readjusted the the shifter cables and it seemed to do the trick! Slides right down into 2nd without any catching. Drove it around for an hour in traffic and didn’t have an issue with it. Definitely a different feel compared to stock, but in a good way. It’s takes just a hair more force to get it into gear but I assume it’s because the weight of the boomba shift adapter. Definitely more enjoyable rowing through the gears! Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
109 Posts
UPDATE: Took it back and they readjusted the the shifter cables and it seemed to do the trick! Slides right down into 2nd without any catching. Drove it around for an hour in traffic and didn’t have an issue with it. Definitely a different feel compared to stock, but in a good way. It’s takes just a hair more force to get it into gear but I assume it’s because the weight of the boomba shift adapter. Definitely more enjoyable rowing through the gears! Appreciate the help!
Thanks for updating. It's always frustrating to see a post come thru and never see the issue resolved.

I did the Boomba trans adapter and the SXTH cable end bushings and I have an intermittent hang up on the 3 to 4 shift. It happens every once in a while. I did the install myself so I only have me to blame haha. I'll go wiggle some stuff and hopefully make it go away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s funny you mention the 3 to 4 shift catching intermittently. I’ve also had a slight hang up on 3 to 4 after the adjustment. It’s only happened maybe 3 times and I don’t feel like bugging the guys at the shop anymore so when I get some time I’ll go back in and mess with the shifter cables a bit and see if I can get it squared away. Not too worried about it in the meantime though

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do you adjust the the cables? I have the same issue after I installed the Megan shifter. I installed it before the Boomba shifter came out. I had an issue with it hitting the wall and not going into 2nd and I shaved off some of the plastic wall…now 2nd is hard to find if I don’t concentrate on muscle memory!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you adjust the the cables? I have the same issue after I installed the Megan shifter. I installed it before the Boomba shifter came out. I had an issue with it hitting the wall and not going into 2nd and I shaved off some of the plastic wall…now 2nd is hard to find if I don’t concentrate on muscle memory!
Automotive design Font Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Bicycle part Line Font Wheel

I ended up moving the cables back and forth until I found a sweet spot! Super easy to do if you have smaller hands, didn’t need to remove anything either to adjust them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts