Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who hasn't had this TSB done should get it done.

It gets rid of the delay/hesitation when stepping on gas and AT needs to shift down a gear for acceleration. It also improves upshifts through all 4 gears, stretching them out in a more normal manner than originally(where it shifted into top gear/low rpm's too soon).

This TSB is a simple software flash, using a third shift logic code(see the TSB) which supercedes both the original code and a second code update.

It fixes the problem. I am happy with how the AT shifts now...I wasn't before. An immediate and noticeable difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does this also apply with the 2.4 AT?

I've noticed a quirky shift a few times when going from 2nd to 3rd gear, and I've read similar issues mentioned here before.

Do I need to take it to the dealer for service? Also, will I be paying out of pocket or is it covered by the warranty?

I've only had mine for just over two weeks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the TSB applies to the 2.0 with 4spd AT only. Although I would imagine that something similar could be done with the 2.4 5spd AT rough shifts between 2-3 when cold, that we've been hearing about. Unless that's a purely mechanical issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
this TSB doesn't affect my car I live in Canada, I emailed my dealer this morning to see and they checked it out and told me there are no TSB's for my Koup. I didn't notice a problem, but one can never be to careful.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm in Canada too and although I don't notice any problems so far with the shifting, I called my dealer anyways and they said that it doesn't apply to my VIN#. Same thing with the TSB about the fuel cap. I don't really care about the fuel cap and for now the shifting is fine, so the TSB doesn't really concern me right now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Canadian models may not need the shift TSB if their AT's were programmed differently in the first place. Also, beyond a October 2009 mfg date, the TSB isn't needed...the updated shift logic has been applied in production.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Forte has a July 2009 production date which leads me to speculate reasons why the TSB was only issued for US models. I wonder if the shift logic was maybe programmed differently due to tigher EPA restrictions in the USA. The fuel cap TSB, however, is purely a customer satisfaction issue rather than one dealing with the car's performance. Interesting why KIA USA would issue the fuel cap TSB and not KIA Canada?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I believe you're right about the different AT shift logic for US models due to EPA and CAFE requirements. Lucky us! NOT!

The problem was that it went immediately into top gear while still at low speed/rpm's. The result was a delay when hitting the gas pedal and the car had to downshift out of top gear to accelerate. The TSB corrects that, spreading out the shift pattern to be more in tune with vehicle and engine speed and minimizing any delay on downshifts.

There was nothing wrong with the gas caps, they worked liked all others I have experienced. But dumbed down American drivers were evidently having problems securing it and the 'check engine light' was coming on for some. The new cap has one very small click when it's tight. Seems to me that it might actually be more problematic than the original, but either work fine.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Pending date of youre VIN youre koup's logic may be up to date. The dealer will run youre VIN & see whats available. If any TSB's or updates show with youre VIN ask them to go over it with you. If there is a ECU/PCM update, KIAS overwrites from scratch, ask them if they do the adaptive/reset/relearn proceedure. Then , keep in mind that KIA states it may take 200 miles for the system to relearn youre driving style and settle back down. In reality, it has been more than that.

TSB's that are related (but may not apply due to VIN date).
KT2009102601 - single click Fuel cap.
KT2009102702 - Shift Hesitation and Shift Delay Improvement with 2.0L and 4 Speed A/T (SA020) (Trans - 030).
KT2009103001 - Auto Cruise Control Logic Update For Uphill Driving Performance Improvement (SA013) (ENG 051).
KT2009103002 - PCM Upgrade DTC P0304 Cylinder Mis-Fire With 2.0l Engine And A/T Logic (SA025) (ENG 059).

·
Registered
746 Posts
Donnovin spoke to soon. Here is a brand spankin new TSB Service Action dated 3/25/2010 for 2.0L AT Forte Sedan/Koup.

KT2010032501 - PCM Upgrade For P0304 Due To VCM Motor Variation Logic Improvement (ENG 065).
This bulletin provides the procedure to upgrade the powertrain Control Module (PCM) of some 2010 Model Year Forte (TD) Sedan and Koup with 2.0L engines. This reflash has enhanced VCM logic to improve a rough idle condition at start-up or a MIL ON and stored DTC P0304 set at start-up. For confirmation that the latest reflash has been performed to a vehicle you are working on, verify ROM ID using the tables in this TSB.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Well unfortunately I seem to have the latest update. A little disappointed in this car. Looks great, drives like crap. Well I'll keep it for awhile and trade it in. A shame they built a car with intentions of upgrading thier name and the performance is subpar. I was told its just because of the electronic acceleration. Well if electronic acceleration hesitates and make the car jump on take off why the hell would you use it? I guess I got too caught up in the looks and the possibly promise of the car.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Well unfortunately I seem to have the latest update. A little disappointed in this car. Looks great, drives like crap. Well I'll keep it for awhile and trade it in. A shame they built a car with intentions of upgrading thier name and the performance is subpar. I was told its just because of the electronic acceleration. Well if electronic acceleration hesitates and make the car jump on take off why the hell would you use it? I guess I got too caught up in the looks and the possibly promise of the car.
get a 5 speed instead, I've had zero problems out of mine and its handles and accelerates flawlessly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts