Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scotty Kilmer on his Youtube channel railed against the Kia 2.0 engine as an inherently bad design that excessively burns oil early in the engine's life.

Scotty's video centered on a customer's year-old Kia Soul with the same 2.0 four-cylinder as in recent Fortes. This Soul had 17,000 miles on it and burns more than a half quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

The customer told Scotty that the dealership refused to help even though the mechanics said that they were seeing a lot of oil burning engines and Kia was denying the problem exists.

Scotty said the engine suffers from poor design, manufacture and materials. He pulled the spark plugs and found oil on number one and four cylinders. He advised owners change the oil much more frequently than Kia recommends.

There have been a lot of media and social media reports of excessive oil consumption in Kia cars. An acquaintance of mine has an oil burning Soul that clatters like a diesel and she gets no help from the dealer even though she is well within the engine warranty period.

Are the Forte owners with the 2.0 liter engine out there seeing the same oil burn problems? Is your 2.0 liter engine doing well at higher mileage or do you have a nightmare like Scotty's customer?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,796 Posts
I can't speak for all Forte Owners, however, I've owned two 2.4 Equipped 2010 Forte SXs and my two Daughters each had 2.0 equipped 2010 Forte EXs. I did the oil changes on ALL of them through the years. NONE of them used oil between oil changes...PERIOD! I kept one of the 2.4 Fortes 7 years and one of my daughters' 2010 Fortes is now owned by my granddaughter - and it still does not use oil between oil changes. Two Fortes were traded in on new cars - a 2014 Mustang GT and a 2017 Optima, the 3rd Forte was sold outright because I was planning on retiring and didn't need 3 cars any more.

I'm sorry you are having problems but I haven't had any problems with these engines.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm the 4th owner, ever since I bought & have done all maintenance on my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2. It has never had any major mechanical issues, problems or repairs needed.

So far so good. My Forte isn't an oil burner. Has never leaked any fluids. Just the usual upkeep & maintenance.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
977 Posts
Scotty Kilmer on his Youtube channel railed against the Kia 2.0 engine as an inherently bad design that excessively burns oil early in the engine's life.

Scotty's video centered on a customer's year-old Kia Soul with the same 2.0 four-cylinder as in recent Fortes. This Soul had 17,000 miles on it and burns more than a half quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

The customer told Scotty that the dealership refused to help even though the mechanics said that they were seeing a lot of oil burning engines and Kia was denying the problem exists.

Scotty said the engine suffers from poor design, manufacture and materials. He pulled the spark plugs and found oil on number one and four cylinders. He advised owners change the oil much more frequently than Kia recommends.

There have been a lot of media and social media reports of excessive oil consumption in Kia cars. An acquaintance of mine has an oil burning Soul that clatters like a diesel and she gets no help from the dealer even though she is well within the engine warranty period.

Are the Forte owners with the 2.0 liter engine out there seeing the same oil burn problems? Is your 2.0 liter engine doing well at higher mileage or do you have a nightmare like Scotty's customer?
Scotty Kilmer is a moron. That guy sensationalizes problems for views. Most of the stuff he complains about isn't really a big deal. I haven't heard of any 2.0s burning oil, unless they are already knocking from the rod bearing issues on some early ones (that Kia has fixed for a lot of people out of warranty).

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2017 Forte with the 2.0 and have 123,700 miles on it. It doesn't use oil between changes and I go 10,000 miles between changes. I use Mobil1 full synthetic and a Mobil1 filter.
Thanks. This is good news to me as I now own a 2022 Forte LXS with the 2.0 engine. I'm retired now and hopeful this car will give me years of service.

I've always been careful with oil changes and my previous vehicles have done well. The 2.0 is the smallest displacement engine I have ever owned and a little worried about its durability.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Thanks. This is good news to me as I now own a 2022 Forte LXS with the 2.0 engine. I'm retired now and hopeful this car will give me years of service.

I've always been careful with oil changes and my previous vehicles have done well. The 2.0 is the smallest displacement engine I have ever owned and a little worried about its durability.
It does well, just make sure to check the fluids keep them up to level.

Don't drive it like a F&F car either unless it's got serious upgrades.

Don't pull or tow past it's capacity. The user/owners manual has paramount info if you have one or came in the glovebox.

Turbokits.com for the win.

•Carid.com

•Crutchfield.com (audio & video).
•Bestbuy
(for on hands in person Audio & video).

•DDMtuning.com (illumination/headlights).

•Your local Autozone, O'Reillys, Napa,Carquest, Pepboys,Advanced Auto parts & Walmart (for over the counter non specific/non specialized overpriced fluids).

•You're local salvage/junk yard/s for that "need it now/asap" OEM/factory parts.

You're local Kia/Hyundai dealership for OEM & factory modules, sensors & specific parts.

Ebay & Amazon/online for Chineseium made throw away parts, floor mats, body panel clips, fashion jewelry, etc.

Online for (researched & confirmed) parts from online sellers. Send them messages, ask questions check & verify fitment of interested parts & part numbers.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I think this is the same 2.0 the newer Elantra uses as well. My son has a 17' Limited Elantra with the 2.0l. I change the oil every 3.5 - 4k full synthetic myself. No loss of oil and runs like a top. We popped the hood on a 2022 Kia Seletos SUV last week and has the same 2.0L engine in it. Seems like a good sign to me????

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
841 Posts
My Forte LX just rolled 129,000 miles on Tuesday on the way to Birmingham. It's still running great and even running between 75-80mph on the interstate, I'm still averaging 37+mpg. I'm not complaining. I need to go ahead and get some oil, filter and some Techron as I'll be changing the oil in about 1,000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts