Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, just a little update on the K3/Forte. A little background, I purchased the car used Aug 2014 with 4,000 miles on it.

I was driving the car home from work on a cold, cloudy afternoon last month, April the 7th. Cruising steadily at 60mph, I began to hear a metallic noise. I turned down the music down and continued to hear the noise so I let off the throttle, it let off simultaneously. Immediately, my brain started to shoot red flags. I snapped the throttle to test it and it became worse with the higher rpm's. Figured I didn't want to cause much further damage so I tried to find a side street where I could pull off the rural highway as stopping is prohibited there and the police here strictly enforce their local laws.

Just as I thought things couldn't get worse, I hear a metallic screeching noise which immediately causes me to pull over to the shoulder and limp to the side street. "End of the line" was all I could think. Called in the tow truck, and sent it to the closest dealer.

What truly horrified me was that this was a car that was very well taken care of. I'm a former Kia Tech that just left the industry this past December. Car used full synthetic since I bought it. Always used Kia factory oil filters and always maintained it on time. Unfortunately, since I'm second owner, Kia is really fighting me on this one as the powertrain goes out at 60K on second owner vehicles. But I told them, that's just way too soon for an engine to die. Especially one so well taken care of. They don't seem to be listening much. $5,500 dollars for a long block, $3,500 for short block.

Not too many issues with it but there were some things that made me ponder. The high beams would cut out at night, was found to be a multifunction switch. The shocks in the rear would knock around. Replaced those. There was a rattling near the exhaust manifold that suspiciously happened right before the warranty went out. Dealership never found anything on that. And then, bam, engine goes out.

Really disappointing Kia. I really wanted to buy a Forte Koup or Soul once this one was paid off but I have a foul taste in my mouth from this experience. Hope you guys have better luck with yours. As for me, I'm thinking of going European or back to Japanese. Still undecided. I really liked the Forte. I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many Miles on the Odo?....................

Still interested why your Engine Grenaded....................
65,000 miles and change brother. No clue either. The dealer was supposed to take it apart but corporate told me I hadn't authorized a teardown. Which I know is bull bc they quoted me for $205 diag

·
Registered
162 Posts
65,000 miles and change brother. No clue either. The dealer was supposed to take it apart but corporate told me I hadn't authorized a teardown. Which I know is bull bc they quoted me for $205 diag
I'm really interested in this as I have 2 Fortes and a Forte5 in my Family with this engine. So far you are the first with this engine that lunched out that I know of. I'm assuming you have the 2014 Forte?....................................

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really interested in this as I have 2 Fortes and a Forte5 in my Family with this engine. So far you are the first with this engine that lunched out that I know of. I'm assuming you have the 2014 Forte?....................................
That's correct. She's the 2014 model. So much potential with these cars. Thought the engine would have held up better. Perhaps carbon build up due to the GDI design may have been a cause. I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow to have them tear it down and identify the exact cause.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's correct. She's the 2014 model. So much potential with these cars. Thought the engine would have held up better. Perhaps carbon build up due to the GDI design may have been a cause. I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow to have them tear it down and identify the exact cause.
We had two Spectra5s with the older 2.0 with timing belt, my wife's car went 120k miles before we traded it in and mine went 230K miles, all trouble free miles with the original Timing Belt. Hoping yours was a fluke.
I do plan on installing Oil Catch Cans in our fortes, just researching what brand to buy or DYI them......................

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had two Spectra5s with the older 2.0 with timing belt, my wife's car went 120k miles before we traded it in and mine went 230K miles, all trouble free miles with the original Timing Belt. Hoping yours was a fluke.
I do plan on installing Oil Catch Cans in our fortes, just researching what brand to buy or DYI them......................
Yeah, I've still got an Elantra with that same Beta II 2.0 engine. Runs fine, 134K miles currently. This has been a headache. :crying2:

Kudos for the catch can idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, hearing this really scares me. I drive approx 125 miles everyday to work & my ODO stands at 49k miles just under 1 year 6months. I have the 2015 koup with the MPI 2.0 Engine. I dont know if its the new or old. I think the new 2.0 is called the GDI engine. Either way mine is the MPI one. Ill use my car atleast for another 3 more years, so it will surly cross 150k+ miles. Hope she stays strong without giving me much probs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Please keep us informed on what the teardowns reveal.

We've had 2x 1.6T blow in the past 2 weeks on the turbo forums. Both cars were modded mind you but one member completely reverted to stock before he sent it in... Kia is denying both cars.

One had 8,000 miles.. Other around 35,000 I believe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is definitely odd, I have a '12 with almost 90k on it, play with it on a regular basis....and have no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey mine is 2015 Koup with DOHC 16V 2.0l Engine. But this is not the 2.0L GDI Engine as described in the tread right? Can someone clarify this?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Please keep us informed on what the teardowns reveal.

We've had 2x 1.6T blow in the past 2 weeks on the turbo forums. Both cars were modded mind you but one member completely reverted to stock before he sent it in... Kia is denying both cars.

One had 8,000 miles.. Other around 35,000 I believe.

Good news! But first I'd like to address prior posts and apologize for the lack of updates. I've been in the middle of moving to Indiana.

Yeah, I remember seeing several of the Theta II's blow up during my time in the dealership. The ones that we saw though were from lack of proper maintenance. But most of these people were going like 13K miles on one oil change lol.

I also remember a string of 1st gen Forte's suffering major engine issues around 60-75K miles.

I honestly think I just got a lemon because apart from the former issues stated, which I determined to be the front strut pads @40K. A bit quick for most of the problems. I would even run the Kia recommended fuel system cleaner through the damn thing as well as BG 44K. Love that stuff.

Pretty sure here in the states the 14's and up either came with a 1.8MPI or the 2.0 GDI. Largely the same engine with several differences although you may have a different engine in a different market.

The dealership hasn't got down to the specifics on why the engine blew but it's clear that Kia is owning up to most of problem.

Those will definitely be questions I'll ask upon taking delivery of the vehicle. I spoke with the dealership last Tuesday and they told me the same thing corporate had told me. Kia's diag is a lot more in depth than the dealer's and it would end up running me anywhere from $600 to $1200, depending on the teardown length. I was informed that if this was something that the factory wouldn't cover, that I would be responsible for the diagnosis fee and the repair costs. The service advisor, (Mike, a really nice guy I might add) told me he could cut me a $15-20 dollar discount on the $120/hr labor rate if that happened.

Here comes the good news. Fortunately for me, I received a call Thursday morning while at work. I returned Mike's call back after work and he informed me that Kia was recommending a long block (contrary to the dealer's initial short block/long block option) and that they were willing to pay $3500 on the long block assembly and have me pay a flat $2000. I was pretty damned excited. It was a lot better than what I expected. Basically, I'm getting the long block for the price of just the short block parts which in turn saves me the headache of trying to replace this myself with my limited time.

It's not as good as free but it sure as hell beats paying $5500 for a new engine. My guess is that it was likely a factory problem so they are owning up to it partially. If only this would have happened 6,000 miles ago lol.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts