Kia Forte Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
there is now a class action suit in canada for the theta engine and specifically for forte's. i can't post any links because of the forum rules (this is my first post) but i'll attempt again after this.

there is a facebook support group link as well. it's mostly in french but with the built-in translation you'll get the gist of what's going on.

lots of angry forte people out there. i'm one of them and had just bought a brand new kia soul 2 weeks before i found out these engines are ticking bombs. i don't see an easy way out of this for kia / hyundai. the word will eventually get out to anyone shopping for a new car. probe a bit further and you'll find a nugget on a hyundai engineer that blew the whistle on their engines and is the only reason they began a recall in the first place.

i was truly a kia fan boy up until this year :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
hmm, still can't post links. copy and paste please.

link for the class action suit..
tjl.quebec/en/class-action/kia-forte-problemes-de-moteur/

facebook support group..
facebook.com/groups/kiaforteproblememoteur/

hyundai engineer..
nytimes.com/2017/05/16/business/hyundai-south-korea-whistle-blower-recall.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
kiaguy007,
Oil Change history on my Forte is perfect: 0C history
Weather was too windy for me to take a video of the engine knock, I can't pull the Forte in my garage my 1960 Triumph TR3 said no.
Kia Tech Center Headquarters is near me and I ended up taking the Forte to the dealer that works directly with them. Tech Center came out and determined the noise was piston slap, tore engine down and seen the piston skirt clearance on cylinders 2 & 3 was huge. Determined skirt coating wore off before it should have wore off. Dealer installed remanufactured short block under warranty part # 259Y22GH00R
-overheard dealer techs saying that Tech Center was aware of this Forte engine issue back in 2016, and have been working to resolve it and have resolved it now in the OE remanufactured short block assemblies.-
I still maintain that the noise I heard was rod bearing knock but dealer says otherwise. I am told by 70 year old car guys that piston skirt issues in high compression engines were a "thing" back in late 60's early 70's and are extremely surprised KIA hadn't cleared those old school issues during their R&D. I hope the lawyer firm link I gave has a successful investigation into this. There are hundreds of Forte engines failing every week and the numbers will reach critical mass.
I maintain that KIA is lying to me and that the issue is still the same bearing issue that the other 1.2million recalled KIA's have. Its just that THOSE owners reached critical mass before the Forte owners so KIA HAD to take action sooner.
The link that you posted is not directed exclusively at the Theta MPI, given that it spans multiple generations, and includes the NU as well. Having two completely different lawsuit targets has to add complexity and confusion to the case, and IMO will make it much more difficult to win.

Sounds to me like they're trying to feed off to the massive Kia/Hyundai Theta GDI/Turbo recalls. But the Theta MPI has never been included in any of those actions, and has no similar major history of failures. As someone with a dog in the race, I've been following this whole thing very closely, and attempt to follow up on any Theta MPI issue I find. Yes, there have been a few MPI failures, but that's also true for any make/model on the planet.

What is the oil change history on your vehicle? Have you identified where the knocking is coming from?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm not sure about this statement: "There are hundreds of Forte engines failing every week". I only have experience with the Kia's I have owned and that friends and relatives own, along with what I have read in Consumer Reports and elsewhere. Based on this information, I have found Kia's to be very reliable and their engines to be as durable as any others out there. I'm at 79k miles on my car and (knock on wood), the only problem I have had is with a failed starter. I also have the engine that everyone worries about, a small displacement, turbocharged, direct injected design. I do use synthetic oil and Kia filters, which I figure will help.

I'm glad that you have a new engine in your car. It seems like Kia kept up their part of the bargain. I owned a new Mazda RX8 with less than 20,000 miles that had a failing engine. The dealer wouldn't even look at it. A year after I dumped that lemon, Mazda finally started installing rebuilt engines under warranty.

So, all manufacturers have occasional engine issues, but saying that hundreds are failing per week I just don't think is true.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ergwork, Thank You for posting your links. I have personally called ten junkyards around the country and they all tell me they are selling used Forte motors like crazy. I'm convinced critical mass on this issue is coming to the Forte models just like the Sorento's etc's...
hmm, still can't post links. copy and paste please.

link for the class action suit..
tjl.quebec/en/class-action/kia-forte-problemes-de-moteur/

facebook support group..
facebook.com/groups/kiaforteproblememoteur/

hyundai engineer..
nytimes.com/2017/05/16/business/hyundai-south-korea-whistle-blower-recall.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
the quebec facebook group dedicated only to the forte engine problem already has almost 2500 members, most of which have detected issues. that's one province in canada, a country that is less than one-tenth the population of the US so there very well could be many many engines failing or at least showing symptoms of failure (knocking) like mine on a weekly basis. on the positive side, as wapole said, at least kia is acknowledging and in general honouring claims with proper proof of maintenance and cylinder inspection. the most disheartening thing is that this defect was known to hyundai many years before 2016 but they continued to manufacture these blocks and use then in literally millions of vehicles. even more discouraging is there's no evidence that this manufacturing flaw has been corrected. will we see 2015-2018 kia's failing in a couple of years?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Forte News is not getting better...
Hopefully this was corrected on 2014+ models

National Highway Traffic Safety opens investigation...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...hs-reported-in-hyundai-kia-cars-idUSKCN1GT0HD
NHTSA, which announced the start of the probe in documents posted on a government website, said it was aware of six crashes in which six people were injured when air bags failed to deploy in frontal crashes, including four in 2011 Hyundai Sonatas and two in 2012 and 2013 Kia Fortes. The 2013 Forte crash occurred in Canada.
What! 2 Fortes had problems! OMG!!!! That means they are all bad!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
What! 2 Fortes had problems! OMG!!!! That means they are all bad!!!
thats just the beginning hence the opening of an official gov investigation...

TAKATA airbag mnfg. (Pre investigation)

" its just a few thousand bad airbags... doesn't mean they are all bad...."

To some, ignorance really is bliss...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
thats just the beginning hence the opening of an official gov investigation...

TAKATA airbag mnfg. (Pre investigation)

" its just a few thousand bad airbags... doesn't mean they are all bad...."

To some, ignorance really is bliss...
2 in the last 5 years does not indicate a problem when literally hundreds of thousands were built. Let me know when you get to 5 and MAYBE I'll get slightly concerned.

·
Registered
589 Posts
2 in the last 5 years does not indicate a problem when literally hundreds of thousands were built. Let me know when you get to 5 and MAYBE I'll get slightly concerned.

The TAKATA airbag Fiasco was years/ decades in the making. It wasn't until multiple investigation opened to reveal the true scope of the problem. That's why we have these administrations, for people like you, for skeptics, and those who wish to minimize the reality when many other people myself included had to endure the punishing hassles when S H I T happens.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You guys have done a great job hijacking this thread into a bitchfest about airbags. Congratulations on trying to make a nearly useless site even more so. Enjoy your fun - I'm done with it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The TAKATA airbag Fiasco was years/ decades in the making. It wasn't until multiple investigation opened to reveal the true scope of the problem. That's why we have these administrations, for people like you, for skeptics, and those who wish to minimize the reality when many other people myself included had to endure the punishing hassles when S H I T happens.
Yes, these administrations are there to look into these problems when a trend occurs. 2 airbags is not a trend. I'm not minimizing the reality, the reality IS minimal. 2 That's it as of right now. I'm not into creating a panic because people like you, (alarmists) want to cry the "Sky Is Falling!" and sue the car company because of literally one or two issues.

You guys have done a great job hijacking this thread into a bitchfest about airbags. Congratulations on trying to make a nearly useless site even more so. Enjoy your fun - I'm done with it.
And you have done an equally great job of adding NOTHING to the thread. Don't let the door hit you where God split you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hardly a "hijack"

engine issues or issues with the airbag is consistent with the general tone of the topic.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Please keep us informed on what the teardowns reveal.

We've had 2x 1.6T blow in the past 2 weeks on the turbo forums. Both cars were modded mind you but one member completely reverted to stock before he sent it in... Kia is denying both cars.

One had 8,000 miles.. Other around 35,000 I believe.
I am afraid my hands will be slapped, but I will try anyway.
How did KIA deny both repairs? How did they find out the other one was modded?
What do you mean moded and what happened to the engines?
Did you mention any of that in turbo forum, maybe I missed that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
i'd just like to add to the perspective of this thread. engine or airbag failures are indeed related if not an exact match in terms of potential tragedies. i would also like to state that although there aren't massive reports as yet, 6 airbags failing leading to 4 deaths is quite enough for concern in terms of stats. the takata recall was for 50 million vehicles relating to 13 deaths. the hyundai recall (kia has yet to do one) is for 155,000. if you do the math it becomes rather worrisome indeed.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
i'd just like to add to the perspective of this thread. engine or airbag failures are indeed related if not an exact match in terms of potential tragedies. i would also like to state that although there aren't massive reports as yet, 6 airbags failing leading to 4 deaths is quite enough for concern in terms of stats.
Before you get upset, read everything first.

You see, people are stupid. Many times cannot understand the message. Even, when you ask them what they just heard in news, they will not be able to elaborate on the topic.

Where am I going with that?
Well, here is an example.
A few days ago there was a headline story about self-driving car killing a pedestrian. Great, catchy title. No details, but good enough to bring attention. Then, more facts came to light as it happened in a night, in the middle of a highway, nowhere near crosswalk, the lady waltzed into the street without looking... sure, self driving car has radars that should be able to detect her, but if that was non-self-driving car, but a regular human - it would not even be mentioned in the news. Would it?

So, we are coming to the airbags now.
6 accidents, 4 deaths.
The questions I have: did they wear safety belts? How fast were they going? Would the impact actually trigger the airbag? If the airbag had deployed, would have the life been saved?
And the most important - what kind of accident that was?

Because imagine this type of accident.
Going down a freeway, going maybe 40-50 mph. Night, rain. All of sudden you see a semi in front of you. No time to react and you slide under it. Since the trailer is so high, the engine slides under and the whole impact is taken by the A-pillars. They bent in killing you. Air bag did not deploy as the impact was not near the sensor, while the pillars bent this much that the deceleration was below threshold. Or better yet, the front end detached from the car.

So sure, a person was killed. Air bag did not deploy. Those are facts.
But what was omitted from my story was the accident details and clear indication it would be hard for the airbag to actually deploy in this scenario.
And no, you cannot make the computer to change its thinking and deploy the airbag despite not being trigger by the sensor.

Just my 2 cents on this.

Reactions: NovaResource

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks, i'm not upset and i completely agree with you especially about the self-driving car fatality. you're right, we don't know the details but if the NHTSA is investigating these crashes there must be some suspicion of airbags misfiring which is not necessarily anything to panic about but nonetheless something to be aware of and not discount completely. in fact hyundai has already initiated a recall. let's hope kai does as well if there's a need.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
in fact hyundai has already initiated a recall. let's hope kai does as well if there's a need.
It might be only to keep NHTSA happy... unless they know something.

There are cases that are mysterious. Even the VW diesel issue - I never found a detailed explanation of what is happening, except some vague "computer knows when it is being tested", some claims about various conditions, and such. EPA did not publish their procedures and findings, not to the public at least.. But just don't go there.
This is just another example of giving some info to the public without a good solid proof. We all know laboratory tests are not same as real life applications.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts