Kia Forte Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 EX 2.0 GDI has developed a very similar rod knock at 69,995 miles. Luckily I have a second vehicle so it’s been sitting since. Kia up here wants $8,000 to do the work... I’ve run full synthetic in it since I bought the car and changed it every 5,000 miles. I’ve talked to three other people in my area that’s had the exact same thing happen to their Hyundai/Kia GDI engines too. Doesn’t seem to be as common of a issue as the 2.0T/2.4s but it’s common enough I wish they’d recall it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can confirm, but mine just happened today at 52,000 miles. Can someone direct me to where I should post a topic about it? I have alot of questions because mine happened during the warranty (I'm covered 5yr/60k miles) but they're trying to say it's not a 2015 (even though it's registered and sold as a 2015) because the door stamp says it was made in late 2014

It's a 2015 EX Sedan with the 2.0 GDI.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is the model year 2017 Mex LX model clear?

Sorry I did not quite fit question in Subject.

I bought a 2017 LX sedan GDI design made in Mex
Need I be concerned about this engine issue extensively reported here?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I can confirm, but mine just happened today at 52,000 miles. Can someone direct me to where I should post a topic about it? I have alot of questions because mine happened during the warranty (I'm covered 5yr/60k miles) but they're trying to say it's not a 2015 (even though it's registered and sold as a 2015) because the door stamp says it was made in late 2014

It's a 2015 EX Sedan with the 2.0 GDI.
Already posted this in another thread.

Mod : move or delete

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back to the original topic, 2.0 Nu blown engine. I own a 2018 elantra gt with the 2.0 gdi engine. Blew up at 95k kms (57k miles). Fixed under warranty (short block IIRC). 40k kms (24k miles) later, starts leaking oil but no longer covered under warranty. Had a dealership put dye in the oil and check where it was leaking. They said oil pan "gasket" (RTV). So I redid the oil pan gasket, but it immediately started leaking from somewhere else and I have yet to diagnose. Leaked 3 litres in 2 weeks. I'm just so done with this engine but still owe 21 grand CAD on the car and can't afford to get rid of it. I had a 2009 elantra and only ever replaced the timing belt. Still in the family and has 370k kms (222k miles) going strong... was told when I bought the GT that it had the same engine as my previous elantra (found out later it DOES NOT. Do your research kids). Have done some googling and this has been the most helpful thread so far, but I'm just wondering if there's any extra resources or help for me? Or am I SOL and I should just buy a good used Ebay engine?
Thanks friends

·
Read Only
14 Posts
Very concerning!

I just bought an unsold 2018 Kia EX + that had set unsold at the dealership for 2.5 years for what I thought was a bargain price. Now I am beginning to wonder if everyone else knew about the risk of the 2.0L GDI (164 hp) engine except me.

Is that the reason that the 2019, 20 and 21 versions dropped the GDI engines in favor of the MPI 143hp and 201hp models? Is there a general problem with the 2018 GDI 2.0l engines as well?

Was the previous problems with the engine model fixed, or not?

What to do?

Kindest regards,
Stephen

·
Registered
409 Posts
Very concerning!

I just bought an unsold 2018 Kia EX + that had set unsold at the dealership for 2.5 years for what I thought was a bargain price. Now I am beginning to wonder if everyone else knew about the risk of the 2.0L GDI (164 hp) engine except me.

Is that the reason that the 2019, 20 and 21 versions dropped the GDI engines in favor of the MPI 143hp and 201hp models? Is there a general problem with the 2018 GDI 2.0l engines as well?

Was the previous problems with the engine model fixed, or not?

What to do?

Kindest regards,
Stephen
The issues were fixed, 2018 model is not affected. Actually the previous iteration, with 173 hp, some developed problems, the overwhelming majority did not. That engine was in the Soul, too, btw. I do not know if the GDI engine was dropped because of that, or in favour of the Turbo (which is GDI).

·
Read Only
14 Posts
The issues were fixed, 2018 model is not affected. Actually the previous iteration, with 173 hp, some developed problems, the overwhelming majority did not. That engine was in the Soul, too, btw. I do not know if the GDI engine was dropped because of that, or in favour of the Turbo (which is GDI).
Thanks Joachim,

The local Kia dealership head mechanic agrees. He said that it is as good or better an engine than any other made by anyone. They have had no problems with them.

You're right once again..

Kindest regards,
Stephen

81 - 90 of 90 Posts