Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Here is a potential Koup buyer in Australia.

Kia Koup has taken my eyes once and I went straight to take a test drive yesterday.
In Aussie, there is only one trim level, 2.0 theta engin with almost every features except sunroof and push button start and the only option is 4speed auto gearbox.

so, I test drove the 2.0 manual and to be honest it wasn't much impressive.
clearly I didn't expect real sports car spirit, however the throttle problem (I was discussing this with my dealer for a while after test drive and I just found this is a well known thing after read all threads in this forum) is pretty fatal !!
It is continously dropping torque when you shift gear in high rev.
It was real let down with smooth, willing rev engin.
As a result, there was not a half hint of punchy driving although it was solid and somewhat comfortable.

I think it might be helpful with 6speed manual which must have better gear ratio that can hold revs better.

some review from Aussie car website says that this 6speed isn't too far away to come, it could mean 2.4 will come with 6speed like in north America.

Here is the question, is that big performance different between 2.0 and 2.4? not only 0-100 speed, but also driveability with that sensitive electronic throttle.

Please help me with the answer, I am pretty negative with 2.4 will actually land here, but I dont want regret purchasing 2.0 with big performance gap if 2.4 finally arrived.

so one more, is that big performance different between 2.0 and 2.4?
and does anyone know that 2.4 engin will really come to Aussie land or not?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The difference in performance is not "earth" shattering, however, both the automatic and the manual trannys behind the 2.4 have much lower 1st gear ratios that help the 2.4 cars get off-the-line quicker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jerry,

I would wait and see if you get the 2.4 Koup SX Down Under. I just picked up mine on 28 Dec (Racing Red, SX, 5-speed automatic) and I'm very happy with it. The 2.0 has 156 horsepower and the SX has 173 -- not a huge difference, but enough that you will notice it. I also like the automatic because when I'm running 70MPH I'm only turning about 2200 RPM, which should translate into pretty good gas mileage. I'm still on my first tank of gas, so can't give you any figures yet, but I expect it to get even better after it's fully broken in. Plus, getting the 2.4 SX gets you 17" wheels which I also like. Here's a link to Edmunds.com and their info on both the EX and SX.
2010 Kia Forte Review and Specs

Good luck!
Dan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Jerry Koup! What about the sedan? Does it come in the 2.4L SX package there? I've got the SX sedan in Canada and it comes with absolutely everything but the push-button start (only available in Europe). I love the SX with the 2.4L but the clutch takes some getting used to. I'm currently driving a LX model (rental) with the 2.0L automatic because I was rear-ended in my SX. I really dislike the 2.0L and the automatic. Personal choice but I find a big difference in off the line acceleration. All of the other features in the SX make a huge difference too.

I would find out if the 2.4L engine is coming to Australia or not before buying the 2.0L. If it is available in the sedan, buy the sedan! There is no difference in the car except for the extra 2 doors and the exterior styling. Interior and engine are the same. I love my sedan!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I drove them both (manual tranny) and went with the 2.0. The difference was negligible and the 2.4 has a suspension that's just plain uncomfortable on our Ontario roads. Wait for the 2.4, drive it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx guys! I asked Kia Australia that if 2.4 would come or not and the answer was pretty negative but it said first update might add new tranny set up.

I might be waiting for first update, it would be in this year 2010.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts