Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm looking at the engine compartment of a 2011 2.0 Forte sedan,
as a potential purchaser.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with the alternator at the moment (or anything else for that matter) ... but it appears to me that it would be a real pain in the butt to get at for replacement down the road.

Comments, anyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone??

Gee, didn't think I'd stump the panel with this one.

Guess I could ask a Kia tech in person I suppose, just wondering what would be involved to change out the alternator on the 2.0L. It seems to be somewhat buried - would this actually require partially lifting the engine to get at, or can it be accomplished my moving other components out of the way? Or is it somehow removable from underneath?

Thanks in advance ... Johnny

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Dealer: "So sir you want to purchase the Forte?"
Johnny: "Well everything is perfect except...."
Dealer: "Except what sir?"
Johnny: "The alternator... it's just so out of the way...."
Dealer: "Umm....?"
Johnny: "Sorry, I base my car purchases based on how easy the alternator is to reach"

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Gee, didn't think I'd stump the panel with this one.

Guess I could ask a Kia tech in person I suppose, just wondering what would be involved to change out the alternator on the 2.0L. It seems to be somewhat buried - would this actually require partially lifting the engine to get at, or can it be accomplished my moving other components out of the way? Or is it somehow removable from underneath?

Thanks in advance ... Johnny
You didn't really stump anyone, you made an observation.
You got a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty so it's an non-issue for 5 years.

In the event you need to change it, it's only 2 bolts. One is accessible from the top. The other is accessible from the bottom. Bingo bango you can take it out from the bottom. I noticed this when I was under my car getting my oil changed.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
@Anthony: LOL

Is it just me or have we been getting these kind of odd questions this week?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
@Anthony: LOL

Is it just me or have we been getting these kind of odd questions this week?
It's not just you. I guess it's one way to beat the monotony of "Uh which CAI or which HIDs should I get?"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Johnny must've owned a mid 90's GM car where replacing the alternater every 40K-60K miles wasn't unusual. Especially in hot weather. So far my '08 Kia Rondo 2.4 has 148,087 miles with original alternater. Have replaced two frt wheel bearings,1 wiper motor,1 pwr dr lk motor & 1 belt tensioner. Rondo still drives solid,hope ALL Kia's hold up as well.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Johnny must've owned a mid 90's GM car where replacing the alternater every 40K-60K miles wasn't unusual. Especially in hot weather. So far my '08 Kia Rondo 2.4 has 148,087 miles with original alternater. Have replaced two frt wheel bearings,1 wiper motor,1 pwr dr lk motor & 1 belt tensioner. Rondo still drives solid,hope ALL Kia's hold up as well.
Ahahaah it was like clockwork. It got to a point where I just learned how to rebuild the GM Alts. I even figured how to get around or delay the problem. Half the problem was because of GMs sloppy power regulator over charging the battery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I think about it,GM's alternaters were prone to failure WAY more than just the mid 90's models. I can't believe that I bought over 35 of their vehicles.
Hopefully Hyundai/Kia vehicles will continue being the interesting,high value machines they currently are. Very sad GM built so much junk to a price point making room for big incentives. When you build 'em right with a nice selection(HATCHBACKS too,GM!),incentives can kept to a minimum. And killing Pontiac. See ya,GM...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer: "So sir you want to purchase the Forte?"
Johnny: "Well everything is perfect except...."
Dealer: "Except what sir?"
Johnny: "The alternator... it's just so out of the way...."
Dealer: "Umm....?"
Johnny: "Sorry, I base my car purchases based on how easy the alternator is to reach"
Hey, that's pretty clever, Anthony! And congratulations on getting your mom to co-sign your lease!

Tebore: thanks, re alternator access, that's what I was looking for. I am a toothless old man who (a) drives his vehicles til they drop, well past the end of the warranty and (b) hates expensive/difficult repair surprises. Most vehicles last their warranty period. What happens after that determines how much value you actually got for the 20-30K you slapped down. It seems every year the engine compartments get tighter and tighter (on all vehicles, not just kias), and if you're not concerned about potentially hefty labor costs/procedures to change out cheaply manufactured components that will fail over time, you should be!

GMmon: you're partly right, current outgoing vehicle is a 2000 Z24, with about 110K miles on it. The alternator is just now starting to go. Not bad I guess. Also owned a 97 Venture from birth to grave. Alternator outlasted the drivetrain and body. But case in point ... ask any Venture owner about what fun it is to change the plugs! Or changing a rear brake cylinder yourself on a Z24. Not something you typically ask about when car shopping, huh? Glad to hear the Rondo is working out so far, sounds like the Kias are well built in general ... so I may soon be a happy Forte owner.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Hey, that's pretty clever, Anthony! And congratulations on getting your mom to co-sign your lease!

Tebore: thanks, re alternator access, that's what I was looking for. I am a toothless old man who (a) drives his vehicles til they drop, well past the end of the warranty and (b) hates expensive/difficult repair surprises. Most vehicles last their warranty period. What happens after that determines how much value you actually got for the 20-30K you slapped down. It seems every year the engine compartments get tighter and tighter (on all vehicles, not just kias), and if you're not concerned about potentially hefty labor costs/procedures to change out cheaply manufactured components that will fail over time, you should be!

GMmon: you're partly right, current outgoing vehicle is a 2000 Z24, with about 110K miles on it. The alternator is just now starting to go. Not bad I guess. Also owned a 97 Venture from birth to grave. Alternator outlasted the drivetrain and body. But case in point ... ask any Venture owner about what fun it is to change the plugs! Or changing a rear brake cylinder yourself on a Z24. Not something you typically ask about when car shopping, huh? Glad to hear the Rondo is working out so far, sounds like the Kias are well built in general ... so I may soon be a happy Forte owner.
I had a 97 Lumina and have a 98 Grand AM and our family had a 90 Olds 88 and 90 Sunbird. Everyone of them had the alt replaced at least once. And man those high value V6s were a PITA for the rear plugs. Then there was the damn LIM fiasco. No more GM for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So Im working on a 2010 kia forte 2.0 and Im trying to replace the altenator and Im haveing problems removeing bottom bolt on altenator I got it loos but it Cant be removed because the bolt hits the frame when its almost out...Im I going to have to drop left side of motor 1/2 a inch on left side to get it out or is there a nother way ...and if so what is the best way to go about this ..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
So Im working on a 2010 kia forte 2.0 and Im trying to replace the altenator and Im haveing problems removeing bottom bolt on altenator I got it loos but it Cant be removed because the bolt hits the frame when its almost out...Im I going to have to drop left side of motor 1/2 a inch on left side to get it out or is there a nother way ...and if so what is the best way to go about this ..
First a disclaimer that I have a 2011, and only have the FSM for that year, and also have not needed to remove my alt. I took a look at the KGIS FSM for mine and all they say about the bolts is: 'Pull out the through bolt and then remove the alternator'. I also looked at my alt, but couldn't tell exactly how tight that bottom bolt clearance was going to be. It looks like there is a body panel where the bottom bolt would make contact, but I can't tell without pulling the front passenger wheel if that's removable or not. However KGIS didn't say anything about removing that, so it shouldn't be necessary. Did you try leaving the top bolt snug, in order to make sure the alt isn't coming out a bit along with the bolt? Maybe one of the guys who harpooned the OP of this thread for asking such a stupid question can help out, but they've probably all moved on to bigger and better things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.