Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain why the 2011 Hyundai Elantra engine receives 20HP less than the forte? yet receives identical mileage? I thought Hyundai was the "premium" brand..

MINIMAL IMPROVEMENT IN FUEL ECONOMY

All Elantra models, including the Blue, the GLS, the SE, and the Touring (that’s the station wagon) are powered by the same 2.0–liter, 4-cylinder motor that puts out 138 horsepower and 136 ft-lbs of torque. The Blue model, which only comes with a 5-speed manual transmission, is rated at 26 city, and 35 highway miles per gallon. With the automatic on the GLS and SE models, the city rating is the same, but the highway mileage is 1 mpg less at 34. See what I mean about that Blue designation?

2011 Hyundai Elantra Blue Review: Car Reviews

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hmm , that sounds like the Elantra is still using the beta 2.0 engine , old technology with rubber timing belt . I thought it was upgrading to the theta 2.0 for 2011 .

·
Registered
973 Posts
2.0 in elantra is still the beta, which is also the 2.0 in older tiburons, and the soul
plus its a midsize, not a compact, so it is bigger and heavier
their 2.0 is actually 1975cc, ours is 1998cc (not sure that that makes that much of a difference lol)
plus our theta 2.0 has electronic power steering: less things being driven by the serp belt=more efficiency=more power output
beta II is just an all around slower, lower power engine for some reason

·
Registered
142 Posts
Elantra weighs a bit more, explains some of it. Tires, gearing, ecu, aerodynamics the rest presumably.
None of those except ecu tuning have any relation to the flywheel hp rating from an engine dyno that the vehicle manufacturer lists . Some of them will affect whp ratings from a chassis dyno which arn't listed in oem brochures .

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,845 Posts
Could it be due to the Forte engines having CVVT? Does the Elantra engine have CVVT?

·
Registered
641 Posts
None of those except ecu tuning have any relation to the flywheel hp rating from an engine dyno that the vehicle manufacturer lists . Some of them will affect whp ratings from a chassis dyno which arn't listed in oem brochures .
I was referring to the mileage...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Could it be due to the Forte engines having CVVT? Does the Elantra engine have CVVT?
The BetaII has vvt but not the Beta , not sure if it's both cams though , may just be the intake side .

My 99 Tib had the 2.0 beta (no vvt) rated at 140 hp in the brochure . My daughter had a 99 Elantra 2.0 beta (no vvt) rated at 138 hp . Both were autos , the Tib was much quicker at any speed a/c lower final drive gear .

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
2.0 in elantra is still the beta, which is also the 2.0 in older tiburons, and the soul
plus its a midsize, not a compact, so it is bigger and heavier
their 2.0 is actually 1975cc, ours is 1998cc (not sure that that makes that much of a difference lol)
plus our theta 2.0 has electronic power steering: less things being driven by the serp belt=more efficiency=more power output
beta II is just an all around slower, lower power engine for some reason
The Soul 2.0 is the Theta . Not sure if the 1.6 Soul is the old Alpha from the Accent or a short stroke Theta .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts