Kia Forte Forum banner

2.4 factory recall for reprogramming engine

7K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Howie_s426 
#1 ·
Just got my recall concerning the engine wear issue. Need to go to dealer and have them reprogram the computer. Thinking the are maybe detuning. Anybody have any incites to this?
Thanks

#6 · (Edited)
Had it done on my two Fortes last week. No issues with either car.

2010-2011 recall notice:

Work order:

2012-2013 recall notice:

Work order:

Had a similar recall done on my 2011 Tucson (also with the 2.4L engine). But the Tucson also included a new oil pan and gasket.

#7 ·
Don't know how long the neighbor had it. Got it this Monday.

Would be great if they did a OBD2 scan/health & status check on my engine as well while doing this on their dime. Preventive maintenance.

If something comes up then I'd save up money to get the work done.

This isn't gonna do anything other than detect. By then it's too late. Like having dummy warning lights when the problem could've been delt with using analog gauges.

I want to install oil pressure/level, radiator coolant/Antifreeze level, transmission fluid pressure/level analog gauges.

I think glow shift.com might sell these. Not sure. Somewhat vaguely remember reading someone was asking about engine oil pressure/level analog gauge installation would be possible on Fortes.

#8 ·

Was in complete shock & awe like Mega Mind. When the neighbor dropped it off.

I haven't gone yet due to still dealing with the rear view backup camera, rear bumper cover, underglow rear LED bar brackets & the stereo wires hanging around like a gutted fish.

Don't want Mike Shaw kia or any Kia/Hyundai dealership give me any sh*t & excuses of "blah blah blah".

Also I'm at the mercy of the weather here. It's been constantly on & off thunderstorms/rain. Hard to repair/fix & attend to vehicles during rain & several inches of flooding.

#9 ·
Had the knock sensor recall software installed. Only put on 8 easy miles, so not sure if there is any effect yet. I was asking alot of questions concerning the issue. The service manager told me that Kia has not figured out why the engines are failing. They thought it was manufacturing issues, possibly metal fragments, undersized oil journals in bearings, oiling design.... They issued "11 CSB in 5 years" to solve the issue. As far as he know, they still have not found the root cause.

#15 ·
Engine runs flawlessly , dealer did open a tech ticket in which corporate asked for live video to be taken while engine was run through its cycles. They could see no signs of knock or abnormal piston movements. Ill bring up the possibility of piston slap though. Knock sensor was also replaced at no cost so its possible.

#16 ·
A modern car typically doesn't go into limp mode without throwing codes. Your CEL should be lighting up when it happens. Do you have an OBD2 code reader? I don't trust dealers. I've found that they gloss things over, won't provide detailed information and sometimes just straight-up lie about stuff. One thing I do miss coming from a Dodge Dart to a Forte is the AlfaOBD software. It allows you to read the fault codes from every module, whether or not the fault triggered a CEL, but it only works on FCA vehicles. It actually allows you to pull more information from the car than the official dealer tech scan tool, which hides information that engineers don't think technicians need to see.

#18 ·
Well sh*t, now I'm not wanting to deal with Kia/Hyundai or any stealerships in upgrading/updating the engine knock sensor if those have have had it done their Kia is going into limp mode & stealerships can't now find/reproduce the limp mode/problems.

So far my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT Theta 2 hasn't had any mechanical issues/problems on transmission, engine, suspension, exhaust, manifold, cats etc. Other than the stupid effing seatbelt sensors/airbag/SRS sensors, seat/rail track position sensors, weight classification system module from day 1 since I bought it from my friend who bought it from Mike Shaw Kia. Even then, he told me the sensors/airbag/SRS was always the problem.

I don't want them screwing it up more then denying fault or causality. Immediately blaming any mods is what causes/caused the problems.

Effing stealerships will always find a way to save their asses.

Also, all the mods, diy, repairs fixes things I've done to my Kia are on this site.

#19 ·
I've had my 2011 Koup SX done and no issues. It also gets a couple more miles to the gallon after the update. JohnnyD is showing all the signs listed in the recall for an engine replacement. Some dealers will help you and others will screw you .

#28 ·
When you went to get new knock sensor & software update, did the dealership warranty/guarantee should anything related does go wrong/problems that they will fix it in their time & dime?

My wife feels the same way. She told me that I shouldn't get it done. So far so good my old Forte has not had any mechanical problems. Only the SRS/airbags, occupant weight sensors, seatbelts mil/icon reminders.

I have till the 7th to decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.